1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Rock bands that defined the 90's and 00's?

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by Manga4life, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Manga4life

Manga4life DYNAMITE's PULP FIESTA BLOG!!!

So, what are some of the bands or rock act's that you think helped to define the 90's and 00's? By 90's and 00's I mean 1990-1999 and 2000-2009 specifically, what are the bands that you feel really left their mark because of their music? I'm going to do a top 10 style comparison with reasons as to why the bands really left their mark on the industry and I'd like others to chime in with their thoughts as well.

1990's

1. Nirvana - Not because their music was the best, not because they sold the most albums or wrote the best songs, but the death of Kurt Cobain helped to propel this band from being a big time band to being a legendary band and because of that I kind of resent them.

2. Korn - Korn had such a large following circa 1996-1999 that they literally became the faces of rock music in the late 90's, not to mention their 1994 self titled disc is considered hard rock royalty now. It's a shame they couldn't keep their trademark sound as the band aged and their popularity decreased to almost nil.

3. Red Hot Chili Peppers - I don't like them, never cared for them, couldn't care less about them: but the were unbelievably popular in the 90's and are still popular today. They achieved so much success in both the early part of the 90's and the late part of the 90's that one could argue they could be #1.

4. Pearl Jam - I am not a big fan of this band but they have a few songs that I enjoyed, they enjoyed a huge fanbase and still do to this day, but I was never a massive fan even though they basically were massivly huge in the 90's.

5. Tool - Nuff said. Tool is one of the biggest and most legit bands of the 90's and their legion of fans still clamour to them to this day. Tool never achieved massive mainstream success like Korn, but they built a fanbase just as large through their music.

6. Alice in Chains - The best "grunge" band of the early 90's in my opinion as well as one of the most talented bands of all-time, AIC had and still has a wild following despite all the deaths they've suffered and Cantrell's addiction to every drug known to man.

7. Rage Against the Machine - Their rap/rock hybrid style of music helped to keep rock alive in the mid 90's after the "grunge" period and before "nu-metal" hit big, their stuff was quite good despite having a political overtone that annoyed many.

8. Kid Rock - Kid Rock's rise to mainstream popularity in the late 90's along with Korn and Limp Bizkit helped rock music fight back and take over the limelight after a long absence. Kid Rock was most definately one of the "faces of the late 90's" along with Britney, NSync, Durst, Davis, Backstreet, and Christina.

9. Stone Temple Pilots - Another one of the early to mid 90's bands that helped keep rock alive after Nirvana and AIC fizzled out, STP had a string of huge songs that helped them forge a massive fanbase that still lives on today.

10. Maralyn Manson - Manson's rise to popularity was during a time when rock music was struggling and he alongside Rage Against the Machine were huge between 1995-1997 before bands like Korn and Limp took the spotlight from them, Manson had a gothic style to him coupled with disturbing images and lyrics that attracted a lot of fans.

Honorable mentions

Sublime
    Bush
    Green Day - Probably should of made the list instead of Manson.

My 00's list will come after this thread receives a few replies from members....

#1 Manga4life, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2011
  2. chalmers

chalmers Role Model

Some of those are indeed undeniable, no matter how people feel about them. I'm no huge fan of Nirvana, but they did have a huge impact on the 90's, especially in the mainstream sense. Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, and I guess STP(I personally like them, but I do see a lot of negativity surrounding the band) also were all major players in the mainstream grunge scene.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers(although I'm more a fan of the music they made in the 80s), RATM(although I find their messages to be a bit phony; many punk bands had the same messages yet didn't comply to a major label), and Marilyn Manson(once again, shady on his actual merit) are also fair assessments. I personally don't have anything positive to say about Tool, so I won't comment, and even though I do like some of Korn's early material, I blame bands like them and musicians like Kid Rock for a lot of the mediocre nu-medal and post-grunge that we were inundated with in the early to mid 2000s.

I also agree that Green Day should definitely be on the list as a band that helped defined the 90's, since they are really the first band that brought punk to the American mainstream, and made it the most accessible it had ever been at that point. Sublime I'm a little bit more wary about, but bands like them, Rancid, and No Doubt did help pave the way for the ska movement in the middle of the decade. What about Weezer though? Huge amount of influence on pop-rock in the mid 90s, and you can't mention Pinkerton without people fawning over it. And of course, I can't let this post go without giving mention to the Foo Fighters. Almost immediately the band had a major amount of influence, and once The Color and the Shape hit the scene their place in the 90s was cemented.

3. Manga4life

Weezer is awesome and one of my favorite bands of all time, but I just don't think they stood up against others mentioned in the list when comparing popularity and all that, though some of their stuff was indeed influencial. As for the Foo Fighters, yeah, they did their part and I would definately consider them to be an honorable mention, but they didn't seem to have as big of a following or wrote anything that helped to shift music as a whole more so than they were just a good band within a sea of good bands.

Why didn't you like Tool, if you don't mind me asking?

4. Six Year Man

Six Year Man Member

I'd say, unfortunatly, Nickelback and Linkin Park defined the 2000's.

5. Gregatron

Gregatron Member

One band that has been in the 90's and 00's is the Foo Fighters. I think they helped define both decades. I'm not a big fan of their 00's stuff and Wasting Light. But the Foo Fighters rocked in the 90's.

6. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

Bands that defined the decade?

Well, that would be hard for me, because for instance The Ramones and New Yorks Dolls define the 70s for me and The Replacements and The Jam define the 80s to me. Neither were big in North America, but their highly influential sound was very deeply rooted in their lives of normal folks living in the decade. For the 90s, it would be harder because of how much everything changed from 1990 to 1999 which musically was a much bigger gap than any decade since the 60s. Overall, I would choose:

Green Day - starting the decade as snots in 39/Smooth and growing up and moving on with Warning by the end of it... Before becoming whatever it is they are now. But before losing themselves to their own hype were a very 90s band.

Teenage Fanclub - Also started off a bit snotty, but also grew up by decade's end and emphasized the underground explosion of power pop and alternative even as it slowly dwindled by decade's end. When I think of 90s rock, these guys seem to follow its evolution as it goes.

Weezer - I think of their two 90s albums as dividing the 90s cleanly in half. The Blue Album's sunnier tunes from the early 90s focused more on explosiveness and more varied songwriting and Pinkerton's darker and more introverted themes that inspired a whole generation of kids with bad haircuts and tight jeans to pick up a guitar.

As for the 00s, there was no consistency or clear pattern to go off of. Most rock (and the best stuff) was relegated to indie labels.

I think the Foo Fighters are the definitive mainstream 00s band. Bland and safe for the radio stations with no memorable hooks or interesting dynamics. A clear step down from their 90s material, without any of the passion, varied songwriting, or good production that came from them in their first 3 albums. So yeah, I'd say that would encapsulate the 00s to me as a whole Rock-wise.

7. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

What can you possibly pick for the 2000's? The only rock band (which I don't consider to be under the classification of "rock") to break into the mainstream throughout that whole decade was Nickelback, and they're horrid.

8. chalmers

chalmers Role Model

^I'm mostly in agreement with you, because at least 3/4 of the mainstream rock from the last decade is stuff that I don't like. But, I do think that Green Day did help define the middle part of the decade with their album American Idiot, especially since the album almost completely coincided with George Bush's re-election. However, they kind of took it too far, and by the time 21st Century Breakdown came out had decided that they were the voice of the generation or something.

9. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

Well, yeah the album does, but I don't think Green Day really represented the decade themselves. Contrast to how they were underground snots just eager to sing songs and drive people wild in the early 90s to mass weirdness and shock value in the mid-90s to singing songs about growing up and feeling out of place but staying strong yourself in the late 90s-2000. Their music seemed to flow through the decade as it changed.

The 00s had American Idiot, but 21st Century Breakdown was totally out of touch and up its own self and filled with music swiped from others (including themselves)... It isn't really representative of anything in the decade or the band's proper evolution.

So yeah, I don't really think of Green Day when I think of the 00s.

10. Lord Mawdryn

Lord Mawdryn Board Bad Boy

I would pick Pearl Jam and Nirvana as bands that defined the 90s, with Creed and Nickleback defining the 00s.

But I think there are quite a few acts like Green Day and Foo Fighters that straddle both decades...

11. The Cartoon

The Cartoon Moderator

I'd put Green Day toward the top of the list, actually. They were important to both generations. Some people say that they aren't "punk" any more, but I don't care what you call it. It's still great music, with a lot of heavy lyrics. I do agree with a lot of the choices on the list, even though I really dislike several of the artists. (Marilyn Manson, Korn, etc.) Honestly out of the 90's and 00's, Green Day is one of the only rock bands that I like at all. Most of the hard rock stuff didn't do much for me.

12. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

I would say that Fallout Boy, My Chemical Romance, The Killers, and Avenged Sevenfold all had influence in the 00's though I don't know whether they define rock music in that decade. But those four bands, along with the Foo Fighters and Green Day were basically the only rock bands to crack the top 40 besides Nickelback and of course Linkin Park in the 00's.

Creed's last album was in 2001 before their reunion album last year. I kinda think Creed's influence is more late-90's ish.

And how dare you guys diss Tool! I'm not saying that every one of their songs is awesome but they've put out a strong body of work.

13. Manga4life

And now for my list of bands that defined the 00's, as promised....

1. Nickelback - Nobody can deny that since "How you remind me" hit the airwaves back in 2001 that Nickelback has dominated rock radio and mainstread top 40 radio more than any other band this decade. They may not have captured the "metal" crowd, but they've basically sold millions upon millions of albums and have had countless smash hit songs that have spanned the past 10 years.

2. Slipknot - The 9 masked maniacs have been a dominant structure on the rock scene since 1999, their 2008 album was a smash success and they've won awards for their album "The Subliminal Sessions". Slipknot has sold out arenas all over the U.S and they are huge when they tour overseas, bigger than almost any other band going today.

3. Disturbed - Their "10,000 Fists" album was a massive success as was their debut disc back in 2001, their most recent album produced a couple of Modern Rock #1 singles and their fanbase is as rabid as ever. Along with Slipknot, Disturbed has maintained a tight hold on the hard rock scene that they refuse to let go of and remain one of the biggest acts in hard rock today.

4. Shinedown - Shinedown has continually sold millions of records and have been on tour for the better part of 4 years since "Sound of Madness" hit store shelves, they've also played in some of the biggest tours since circa 2005 or so. This band has had countless #1 modern rock singles and have received heavy airplay and rotation since they hit the "big time", with a new disc on the way it looks like the band will continue to remain successful and popular into the '10's...

5. Tool - Tool's 2001 release "Lataralus" and their 2005 release have sold remarkabaly well and they continue to garner more and more fans with their offbeat style of rock music. Tool has been listed by countless bands as a major influence and continue to tour and record music looking to bring their sound into the year 2012 and beyond.

6. Godsmack - Godsmack's 2001's "Awake" and "Faceless" in 2004 have sold tons and tons of records, they've also released a couple more discs that have produced smash hit songs and they've toured extensivly through the 00's for their fans. They've also won some Billboard awards, Rolling Stone awards, and a Grammy or two in the process.

7. Three Days Grace - This band has become a staple on rock radio since the mid 00's with their catchy hooks and recognizable sound, they've also had a string os chart toppers within the rock charts and continue to tour on and off with bands like Chevelle and Adelita's Way.

8. Korn - Korn's success continued into the early 00's with singles off of their 1999 disc and their 2002 release, "Untouchables", but lately things have all but died out for Korn since the departure of one of their guitarists in the middle part of the 00's. The bands last 3 offerings have received poor reviews and have sold bleakly, but their 2002 and 2003 releases spawned some smash hits and sold very well for the band. Their tours still remain insanely popular as they've sold out arenas all over the world, especially in Japan and Germany where they are still huge.

9. Audioslave - This band was a fun combo of a couple of defunct bands that spanwe a ton of rock radio hits and a few albums that sold very well, their Rage Against the Machine mixed with Soundgarden sound helped them to garner a ton of fans in the early to mid 00's and their stuff still remains popular today.

10. Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Many of the songs from their 1998 release were still being released in the 00's as singles and they've also released a ton of huge songs in the 00's to remain hugly popular. They toured quite a bit through the 00's and their influence still lingers as many bands cite them as one of the main reasons as to why they got into music. I may not be a huge fan but I can't deny they've made their mark in the 00's as well as the 90's.

Also, I wanted to add Aerosmith to the honorable mentions of the 90's list since Get a Grip was a MASSIVE success that spawned a ton of smash singles, plus they also had "Don't want to miss a thing" from the late 90's and a few other big songs. Huge miss on my part.

14. chalmers

chalmers Role Model

Ick. The only thing that list did for me is remind me why I don't like to listen to modern rock radio anymore. Other than Audioslave, the only two artists I even remotely like are Shinedown and RHCP, and even that's pushing it. The rest is complete and utter unlistenable garbage, and proof that whatever ground was built by 90s rock was killed by 00s rock.

The thing about Tool for me is just that they are a very bleh band, that for some reason everybody wets their shorts over for, kind of like Metallica only worse. Their music is very boring and uninspiring to me, and really the only aspect of the band that I might consider interesting would be their weird-ass videos. If they are really amongst the best that modern mainstream metal has to offer, then I don't want any of it. Sorry to be so harsh, but you did ask, and I did say I had nothing nice to say about them.

#14 chalmers, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2011
  15. Manga4life

It's all good bro, everyone has opinions of music and that's why threads like this were created, but I for one enjoy Tool quite a bit and find their stuff to be quite artistic. To each their own though.

16. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think System of a Down would belong on that list. They were doing the political thing before Green Day and were one of the more successful "nu-metal" bands, if you could even call them that.

They also still seem to have staying power, since even though they broke up years ago, their music is as popular as ever, and their recent reunion has built a lot of buzz.

17. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

Same thing here. It's like Dream Theater to me. All the talent in the world can't mask the fact that the songs just aren't very well constructed or varied, or even interesting. The only song I actually enjoy from the band is Stinkfist.

Also, RHCP was also an 80s band. That decade contained some of their all time best stuff.

18. Bugzz

Bugzz Member

Mostly agree with tht list. But how about an Offspring?

19. Six Year Man

Six Year Man Member

What about Linkin Park?

20. Manga4life

Yeah, after sobering up and taking a look at these lists I can see that my judgement was clouded a bit and that these lists aren't accurate. Some bands definately were not where they should have been while others were forgotten completely, I'll probably revise the list over the next week to make it look how it should have without the hops and barly getting in the way.

Until then I'll just chalk it up to......clouded judgement.