1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Robotech" Live-Action Feature Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by GWOtaku, Jun 16, 2008.

1. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

There was a Voltron movie in the works?

2. Lord Mawdryn

Lord Mawdryn Board Bad Boy

For a while, yeah, but it got sandbagged by some legal squabbling over ownership rights and the usual delays & stuff that happens with a big movie project. Supposedly, the legal issues have been cleared up and the movie is back on track.
    'Voltron' finally geared up for production - Eugene Movie | Examiner.com

They're supposedly aiming for a 2014 release, but I don't think that's realistic unless filming starts really soon (if it ever does).

3. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Poor giant robots. Can't make it in movies, can't make it on TV.....

.....well, except for Transformers for some reason.

4. HellCat

HellCat Lesser spotted Brit
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

I guess Sony ain't gonna do bupkis with those Gundam rights either.

5. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, but Transformers has much more nostalgia value for the generic audience than Robotech, Evangelion, or (obviously) Pacific Rim.

6. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

It also has Michael Bay, who, whatever I think of him, obviously has his finger on the pulse of what the world wants to see.

7. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Been a while since there has been any news of the movie's status, so here we go again.

The movie has a new creative team yet again.

I wonder if they can actually sort it out this time or back into development hell once more.

8. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I really have to start wondering when even a Lawrence Kasdan script doesn't take. I'd like to see this, but at this point I have more hope for Star Blazers getting made considering how long the wheels have been spinning on this. Prove me wrong, guys.

9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Huh..well, Robotech was a big part of my childhood growing up, and while it would be nice and cool to see this go forward, I'm honestly more excited for the newest Macross series :sweat:.

10. MDawg

11. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

Well Harmony Gold can't scam people out of real estate money all the time now can they?

12. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

If it could get the rights for the Japanese version of Macross out of the legal mess and get them a reasonably priced release in the U.S., it might be worth it. There're so many releases of the Robotech version now, I can't keep track.

13. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

This might be progress, but right now it's hard to have much confidence when all Sony has is a scriptwriter and Warner Bros spent years spinning its wheels. Maybe it'll be a different story this time, but they need to announce more. Even Star Blazers has been speculated for a vague release window of 2017 or 2018, Robotech doesn't have that yet.

14. JTMarsh

JTMarsh Wing Commander

All I want for a Robotech film - if it even gets made - is that it not turn out like the Michael Bay Transformer films. Or the more recent TMNT. Or the first GI Joe (haven't seen the 2nd one so can't comment on that).

15. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

To me this isn't progress. Look at this thread. It started 7 years ago. Warner Bros. had the rights for 8 years and did absolutely nothing.

Sony Pictures has the rights now, but what does that mean at the end of the day? When push comes to shove, an executive has to put like $200 million and even more for P&A to get a movie like Robotech made. When the executives who get to decide what gets made in the green light room look at this, what are they going to say when they look at Robotech that makes them believe this franchise can be their big money maker?

I like Robotech, but this franchise has not been relevant in years. The first run of the show was never that successful in the first place. The revivals generally did not do all that well either. A sequel to Shadow Chronicles never materialized despite all the false promises. Sometimes I wish Tatsunoko or another company could just outright buy the whole franchise so someone else could control it and then we could get all the new Macross stuff from Japan that hasn't been able to get imported yet because of the legal mess.

Just for comparison, Sony Pictures picked up Masters of the Universe after it languished for several years at Warner Bros. That happened three years ago in 2012. So this deal really means nothing to me at this point.

16. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Ya know, this seem kinda weird after watching Pacific Rim, cause I always had the Robotech vibe from that film, just lesser quality. I don't know how I feel about Hollywood adapting Anime anyway, so this just leaves me on the fence until further notice.

17. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Eh, they are a bit different - or ought to be, anyway. Pacific Rim is basically super robots vs kaiju and owes a lot to monster flicks. Done right, a Hollywood take on Robotech / Macross ought to be something like Top Gun as a space opera. The success of a theoretical movie pretty much depends on nailing that, because as noted it's not like this is a powerful untapped brand. It has a dedicated but relatively small fanbase that isn't nearly enough to make this thing a hit on its own.

If they mess it up by getting mired in gobbledygook about "protoculture" or making the Zentradi faceless aliens, it'd be no good. Hopefully not. I'd like to see a movie comparable to Jupiter Ascending get made that's commercially successful and without the Star Trek or Star Wars name, and better received.

18. MDawg

Just over a month and we get another update. Sony must really want this to work.

Sony is looking to hire James Wan to direct it. He's a bit of a Hollywood darling, especially after Furious 7, so it may not pan out, but Sony wants him.

19. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

SDF Macross is my favorite TV show of all time. Not favorite anime TV show, favorite TV show. I'm not saying it's the best show ever made, but it's the one I followed my religiously. If they make this movie, I'll be pretty ticked off if it's based on the Macross saga, because I highly resent the way Harmony Gold has blocked every Macross project from penetrating the US. So if this gets done, here's hoping it's an all new, original project, and may the separation of Macross and Robotech be a permanent thing so that all parties involved can get what they want.

20. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm in agreement with this, though I think the chances are likely that they'll base the movie heavily off the SDF Macross adaption that made up the first core Robotech storyline because that's the part people usually think of when they think of Robotech :ack:.