1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Robotech" Live-Action Feature Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by GWOtaku, Jun 16, 2008.

1. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Via Hollywood Reporter. I figured this was the best forum for the news, but could a mod mirror this to the anime forum?

Mr. Kasdan seems quite notable, having written the screenplays for Return of the Jedi and The Empire Strikes Back and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Needless to say, his credentials are impressive. According to The Movie Blog a "relatively unknown guy" named Craig Zahler was once assigned to the script, so this seems to be a big step up and an indicator that the project is being taken more seriously.

2. Paul_Cousins

Paul_Cousins Active Member

So, as long as there are no ewoks in the movie, this Robotech movie should be fine.

3. Movie06

Movie06 Active Member

Kasdan fits. He wrote The Empire Strikes Back so him writing robotech is okay in my book.

4. Sandoz

Sandoz Thin Man Fan

This sounds promising. I'm still a bit concerned about how they'll choose to adapt the series, with the complicated licensing issues and all.

5. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

Well, I did NOT see THAT coming.

6. HellCat

HellCat Lesser spotted Brit
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

I'm still not sure about this. They might win points with me though if the trailer has something like "Coming this summer, is a concept that Gundam predates and in no way stole...you know who you are...".

They've got a solid script writer at least.

7. Beat

Beat Retired

He already has a good template (DYRL). Just as long as he doesn't make it needlessly complicated, it should be OK.

8. HellCat

Are they actually gonna keep the Zen...the Zee....the giant aliens? That could be a bit cheesey.

9. Beat

Beat Retired

You mean the Zentraedi? Seeing as they were the whole focus on Macross, I don't see why not. It's either that or you replace them with human sized lizards like every other sci-fi story...ever.

10. HellCat

But giant humans will probably look awful. I can imagine them making human sized aliens...of course, then you remove the whole point of needing the mecha.

11. FlyByNite77

FlyByNite77 Active Member

As long as they stick to the Macross part of Robotech it should be pretty easy to adapt it into a cool story as long as Tobey isn't playing Rick Hunter which would mean a pretty big rewrite.

and it shouldn't be that hard with today's technology and filming techniques to do the Zentraedi. Look at Hagrid in Harry Potter.

12. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

I'm not so sure Maguire couldn't pull off Rick Hunter. I know he's famous for Spider-Man, but that doesn't mean his range is limited to the Peter Parker type.

13. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

I decided to rename the thread title since it looks like the movie might be going into production.

As for Tobey Maguire playing Rick Hunter, I don't think it would be bad casting if that happened. It's not like he's going to play Roy Fokker.

14. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

There's nothing to say that Tobey Maguire will play Rick Hunter. That's really just a rumor.

15. Conekiller

Conekiller On the Cruise!

Sounds interesting. Can't wait to see these Veritechs flying around in glorious "realistic" CG!

16. Juu-kuchi

Juu-kuchi Everypony's Starry-Eyed

Interesting indeed, if they decide to plunk the money down for John Williams to do the soundtrack, I can't wait to hear his rendition of Ulpio Minnuci's original Robotech theme.

17. Jon T

Jon T Friendless Spidey

I could take or leave this movie (it would be hard to duplicate the inherent charm of the animated characters), but if its production in any way gets the entire Macross animated canon out of its current legal quagmire in the West, then that could only be a good thing. This is especially so since the Macross franchise name is still a viable commodity thanks solely to that very same Robotech connection.

However, given the well-documented problems with Harmony Gold's current relationship with Macross, I suspect the movie might only retain vague similarities with the show. That is, there's likely to be transforming plane robots (not unique to Macross and also seen in Mospeada), and many of the characters will probably have the same names as their Robotech counterparts (since this doesn't technically directly infringe upon Macross), but I suspect said characterizations and relationships in the movie will not correspond directly to anything in Macross or its Robotech derivative, unless there is some sort of definitive legal settlement.

It's easy to see why Robotech was a draw for Hollywood, even aside from the overriding fact that it was actually broadcast in the U.S. back in the 1980s. The series it was assembled from contained far more humanity than many drier contemporary mecha series, and far less named characters tended to be brutally killed off (particularly with regard to female ones). Plus, humanity versus an alien threat is a more palatable prospect than the comparably more depressing concept of a civil war between rival human factions.

18. Beat

Beat Retired

I could care less about that theme. My question is if they'd dare try to localize and update "Do you Remember love?"

19. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Well, if they go that way, given the way these things go I doubt they'd squeeze all of Macross into two hours. If they take it halfway and leave things open ended, hello Robotech 2.

What they shouldn't do is go for a trilogy, one movie for each Robotech saga. That would be too much plot and too many characters at play, and the original saga is by far the best anyway. It also has the best mass appeal since the Veritechs are transforming fighter planes, whereas the later mechs are dramatically different and less "cool." You lose the Top Gun factor. Settling for adapting Macross also allows for much better continuity.

20. Alucard

Alucard Member

With all the squabbling over who has the rights to DYRL, how is anyone going to be able to make a robotech movie? Surely there's some copyright infridgement here.

If it gets made I don't have high hopes. When it comes to Macross I've actually only seen DYRL. Which was great but very 80's and very melodramatic. I'm not so sure that would work well in live action, honestly.