1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

RIP Joe Alaskey

Discussion in 'The Voice Actors Appreciation Society' started by John Pannozzi, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

I think that pops up every now and then but yeah the fact we'd actually have some VAs pop up and actually become members (Bob Bergen who is the current VA of Porky Pig was also a member) was really cool. Heck from what I saw Joe actually popped up a lot on the Duck Dodgers talkbacks and gave a lot of good behind the scenes goings on of that show. So yeah also lost an old TZ member which is even more depressing.

Still again there's so much of Joe's work to go back on and laugh and I'm sure that's what he would want us to do. Honestly it's because of his role of Plucky Duck (also my favorite on Tiny Toons but I'm in general a big Daffy fan) that got me really into Tiny Toons and the silver age of the WB Toons. Though honestly I think my favorite is him as Duck Dodgers in Duck Dodgers as I think he's a better Daffy then Jeff Bergman (though Jeff is a better Bugs IMHO) and he got to shine a lot in that series. Which is honestly a kind of unappreciated show and performance in it's own right. Seriously any series where you get to call out "Woah that's a Pluto Nash sized bomb" is worth recommending and for that and all the many other laughs Joe and his characters provided for the years I thank him and hope many generations like with Mel Blanc grow up on the series and characters he was involved with and appreciate the work he did bringing them to live.

• Like Like x 1
  2. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Joe came from my neck of the woods, upstate NY (Watervliet, to be exact), and had also done some stand-up comedy and face acting (Out of This World) in addition to his voice work. RIP.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Zen Man

Zen Man Active Member

Just found out about the news today-very upsetting. For as great as Plucky Duck was, I don't think the character would have worked nearly as well without Joe Alaskey's performance.

Thanks for all the years of laughter and fun Mr. Alaskey. R.I.P.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Eldorado

Eldorado Active Member

Thought I should mention this while I have the chance but Discovery Family is currently airing Looney Tunes Back In Action. I wonder if it's by coincidence or they're honoring Joe by playing it.

5. Coffee

Coffee Member

His death is such a shame... As others have said, it's even worse to know that he was a member of this forum. The fact that some members here actually talked to him and knew him pretty well puts this on a whole other level compared to other celebrity deaths. Such a damn shame...
    Back in Action is such an underrated film, in my opinion. I honestly don't understand why it gets so much hate...

#25 Coffee, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  6. wiley207

wiley207 Well-Known Member

You know, now that Joe Alaskey is gone, I wonder who will voice Droopy now in future "Tom and Jerry" direct-to-video movies? I imagine Frank Welker could probably do it, or they'll probably get one of the new guys they cast on "Wabbit" (J.P. Karliak, anyone?)

But I honestly don't know if they're going to do a dedication to him in any future productions. They didn't do a dedication to Casey Kasem on any of the 2014-present Scooby-Doo animated movies so far...

• Like Like x 1
  7. SinonSniper1999

SinonSniper1999 New Member

Rest in Peace

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Daffyfan2002

Daffyfan2002 $enior member

Yeah. I was wondering why he hasn't done anything on the recent LT projects such as The Looney Tunes Show or Wabbit. I guess his health has been failing for a while now, but this is the first I've heard about it. Still he's really been great with Daffy and Sylvester and Tweety and his original character Plucky Duck for so many years. This is definitely sad news.

I haven't thought about that, but you're right. At least Zombie Island was dedicated to Don Messick. It would be nice to see maybe a new Looney Tunes or even a Tiny Toons movie dedicated to Joe.

Yeah. I remember speaking with Joe on the Forums. It's like we all knew him on a personal level. :(

9. JTMarsh

JTMarsh Wing Commander

Rest In Peace, Mr. Alaskey. :(

• Agree Agree x 1