1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

[Request] Phoenix, AZ places to check out

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by lostrune, Dec 7, 2004.

1. lostrune

lostrune Detective Rachel

Hey folks,

I'll be visiting Phoenix next week. Any Arizona experts here know the good places to check out around Phoenix? Thanks in advance. :)

2. Weatherman

Weatherman Space...not what it used to be
    Staff Member Reporter

Ummm, hmmm, there are plenty of places to go hiking. There are a couple of neat peaks to hike in the city itself and alot more in the mountains surounding the valley. If you can take a drive up the Salt River Valley there are some nice lakes to go swimming in and some native ruins to explore. There's also a small amusement park at one of the malls intown, the Metrocenter mall. Sorry I can't really think of much more to do. Unless you realy like golf, or sunbathing, Phoenix is not the most exciting place go. Umm, you could also go to a Phoenix Suns NBA game or a Cardinals NFL game, or an event at the Arizona State University campus athletic facilities.

3. lostrune

lostrune Detective Rachel

Thanks.

I guess Phoenix is tumbleweed town. :D

4. Weatherman

Staff Member Reporter

You'd probably be wise to check whatever website you can Google up for the city. I'm sure there's some stuff I'm missing, like the fairly nice zoo, but Phoenix certainly isn't New York or any place like that. Enjoy the trip though. The weather's at least really really nice down there this time of year.

5. Cassie Star

Cassie Star I have no gender.

Not exactly.

You are talking about the 5th-largest city in the United States here.

We have plenty of things to do. You just gotta be interested in nature. A lot of people make sure to visit Sedona while they're in Phoenix. Sure, it's 90 minutes away, but still...

6. Weatherman

Staff Member Reporter

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that there;s nothing to do in town, but comparatively to alot of other cities, even alot of smaller cities, there is just not as much to do in Phoenix as a tourist unless you really like hiking in the mountains. Most of the more tourist kinda stuff is located a good distance outside of Phoenix itself up the Salt River Valley or up towards Flagstaff.

Sedona is a pretty cool place to visit though, and you might be able to visit one of the observatories down in the Tucson vicinity if you can get down there. Tucson also has some more historical stuff then Phoenix if you're into that kind of stuff.

7. Mr. Pedro

Mr. Pedro Der Patton

I was in the Phoenix Hilton once.

Damn. Change the city and that joke just doesn't work. :shrug:

I was there a few years ago and I had the good fortune walking the streets during a festival of some kind. The event had a catchy name (which escapes me right now) and live bands were playing. I also recall something involving Ronald McDonald and smoke detectors, probably for the kids I surmise.

Other than the sporting events, I can't really think of much else.