1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Rejected Designs and Show Pitches

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by Shawn Hopkins, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond Active Member

Cool, Thanks. Yeah, that's the stuff I seen before. Just wondering if anymore was ever released.

2. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan I Will Find Him!

Oh wow really, I tell you I loved it, I really wish it had have been made into a series. Is the image on your site?

3. Christopher Glennon

Christopher Glennon Punch Drunk Flounder
    Staff Member Reporter

The one with Robin, Impulse, and Cygirl? What was animated made it to the Justice League DVD. Unless there was another teen Justice League idea...

4. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Remember when James Tucker was working on a pitch for CGI Batman show at the start of this decade but the suits deemed it too dark? Then sometime later, Beware The Batman was greenlit? Today, James Tucker posted another piece that was used for his No Man Land's pitch. Love it.
    Batman: No Man's Land pitch piece by SpawnofSprang on deviantART

5. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think it's some nice concept art, but I'm not crazy on some of the design choices for Joker, Nightwing, and... Cassandra Cain :confused:?

I like the Batsuit, but Batman's just a wee bit too bulky I think. Though I guess, potentially, if he was meant to be portrayed as much older, then I guess it could work.

But yeah, I agree with Tucker. A "No Man's Land" series would cost probably a heck of a lot of money if it was a CGI series. That's one of the theories over why Cartoon Network killed Beware right?

6. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, it's different than the other pitch piece Coran Stone posted. So I take it they were made just to gave a picture to the suits and they were by no means final art designs.

Oh, there's so many theories so it's probably one. I wouldn't mind if they adapted an aspect of the pitch for a No Man's Land movie in the DCU line. The idea of an extended Bat Family in action would be killer.

7. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

A No Man's Land story would be better for a DTV movie than an ongoing TV series I think.

8. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme
    Staff Member Moderator

It still baffles me how close we were to this. A No Man's Land story would be perfect to bring a fresh breath of air to animated Batman: a seasoned Batman, an established Bat-Family from the start, unique story ideas, a fresh take on familiar Batman rogues, and all the potential world-building bred out of this situation.

"Fall" spoiler:

9. dumbfoolkid5

dumbfoolkid5 Active Member

You have some good points, but I prefer Batman inc. myself.

10. Toddman

Toddman Hulk not good with words.

This was posted by Bruce Timm a few years ago and sheds some light on the "Pokemon/Batman" show-that-never-was.

(at least 'Alpha-Red' survived to make an appearance in The Brave And The Bold)

[​IMG]

He also mentions a pitch for a Batman Beyond sequel series that would have taken place on Mars...

Toddman

11. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

That's some wacky stuff...

Funny how Kids WB went much more traditional with the Batman franchise a few years later and produced The Batman. A slightly more kid-friendly version of B:TAS/TNBA.

12. Lighthammer

Lighthammer Bringer of the Light

I have to assume this is a dead project by now, but there were a few image drops of a Superman series in the same art style as Beware the Batman and Green Lantern TAS back the same year we learned about Beware the Batman.

This project appears to be dead as I can't even find pictures of this project anymore.

13. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I recall this came up before here. What do you remember? Was it an article or was it something on social media? Sometimes, people see crew people's portfolio art and mistake it for production designs or fans online do their own fantasy mock ups. I'm not saying that's the case here but we can't rule it out entirely.

14. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan I Will Find Him!

You weren't thinking of this fan project were you?

Superman: Origins » A 3D Animated Fan Film

15. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Found some things in Wizard #92 and Toyfare #108.

I think I vaguely remember back during Teen Titans, there was Doom Patrol rumor. In Toyfare #108, it was confirmed as such. Just a rumor.
    [​IMG]

Bruce Timm on ideas for another season JLU if it was renewed after "Destroyer" back in Toyfare #108
    [​IMG]

For Superman: The Animated Series
    [​IMG]

1) We knew there was talk of using Captain Marvel but it never materialized. In Wizard #92, it was apparent there were thinking of debuting the Justice League on S:TAS along with Marvel.

2) The original ending to Burnett's Aquaman episode got shelved.

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

A question on the Justice League pitch art. Does anyone know if there was a story behind it? Has Timm ever talked about the plans for the show or why it wasn't picked up? And why his art showed such an unorthodox cast?

17. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

1/26:It was a 90s inspired comic book cast, it was in continuity with BTAS and STAS, and it wasn't picked up because production on Batman Beyond began.

They toying with forming the Justice League during STAS
    From Karkull's jl.toonzone.net page (from various pitch stages):
    Early Justice League Art #1, Art #2, Art #3, Art #4
    Probably for the best since they got to cut their teeth first on "The Call" then move to the Justice League animated series.

9/3: Found this by dumb luck in a second hand store. In Wizard #108 (September 2000) page 72, there was a small article about a shelved series titled "Shazam!" Alex Ross and Paul Dini were co-producers and did brief preliminary work on it in December 1999. Ross did one piece of art, seen in the article, of Captain Marvel, Mary Marvel, and Captain Marvel Jr. Dini likened the art style to C.C. Beck meets Powerpuff Girls. Ross admitted he was trying to do "something very very different from Bruce Timm's style." Back then, there's still the rights issue with Captain Marvel and TV animation conflicted so it was shelved.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. JTMarsh

JTMarsh Wing Commander

I remember seeing those designs for Justice League in WIZARD magazine. I always liked the more classic Supergirl and Aquaman designs.

Didn't see this posted here, un-used Catwoman designs juxtaposed with the designs that actually were used. On the far left is apparently the original prototype character design of Catwoman/Selina Kyle that was intended to be used in the early 90s DCAU Batman series (said to be based on Julie Newmar) while the fourth design I think was meant to be used for a proposed Catwoman spin off that never materialized.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1v11mQFyT1qbujox.gif

• Like Like x 2
  19. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Neat, didn't know/totally forgot there was a Newmar concept design. I recall for the final design on BTAS, Timm added in the Newmar gloves, boots and belt.

• Like Like x 1
  20. JTMarsh

JTMarsh Wing Commander

Glad you liked it, got the link from a friend.

I didn't see this posted here either, the original more Fleischer like designs for the 90s Superman show juxtaposed with the designs that were ultimately used (every time I show this to my friends they all say they like the prototype designs better) -

http://imgur.com/qe6s2KP

That first Superman design looks quite a bit like his Justice League design, while the alternate Lois Lane and Lex Luthor have some serious swagger going on (Lois looks more like Selina Kyle/Catwoman here than the actual Selina Kyle/Catwoman TNBA design).

• Informative Informative x 1