1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Rejected Designs and Show Pitches

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by Shawn Hopkins, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

2. theRedDeath

theRedDeath Active Member

Yeah, we already covered this in the other topic. Here's my post revealing the news and it even includes his original comments:

---

3. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Discussion begins on Page 14 of the "Upcoming New "Batman" Animated Series News & Discussion Thread"

4. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Dave Johnson, comic book artist, posted some Batman designs from a rejected Justice League pitch. Like the one person said, looks to be from "The Savage Time"

5. Dusty

Dusty Superman.

Cool thanks for this, he kind of looks like a mix of "The Savage Time" Batman and also The Batbot from "The Batman" :)

D.

6. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan I Will Find Him!

Wow I didn't know of this, it's such a shame that show didn't get made the designs are awesome

7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Oh, yeah. I was reminded of the Beyond prototype suit.

Mm, hopefully Johnson will dish a little about this.

8. Dusty

Dusty Superman.

I was just watching that episode of Batman Beyond like 2 hours ago, not realizing it until I saw the suit come on screen. Yeah I agree that design by Dave Johnson definitely looks a lot like Batman Beyond's batbot/prototype suit.

D.

9. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond Active Member

I still really wish this was a Batman series we'd seen. I love this Coran Stone's stuff; Yeah, I know it goes against everything I've been saying lately about wanting to see more realistic designs and less cartoony ones on animated projects, but I really like Coran's style. By any chance, is he the designer of the DC Nation Shanghai Batman/Catwoman/Bane shorts? They have a very simlar dynamic.

10. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

There was also art from that Nightwing Pitch a few months back, wasn't there?
    I've also seen art for a Justice League pitch from back in the 90's. Bruce Timm did some mock-ups for Vixen, the Question, Black Lightning, and a few others.

[​IMG]

Interesting to note that Nightshade's costume looks almost exactly like Psylocke's 90's design...

11. horrorbusiness

Before Young Justice designs were released for a Nightwing animated show where the designs and animation were done by the same guy who did Legend of Korra.

You can find the concept art of Dick and Raven by just Googling "Nightwing animated concept art"

On a Podcast with Kevin Smith, Bruce Timm admits before Batman Beyond there was going to be a Batman series that would have been "Batman meets Power Rangers" that would have had a heavy anime influence.

12. RoryWilliams

I think Timm also talked about this elsewhere and said it would've had a teen version of the Justice League. It all sounds awful, but I'd kill to see any concept art or pitch documents that were made up for this.

13. Ryoutarou

Ryoutarou [Insert title]

I remember reading about a show WB wanted to do that was basically going to be "three kids compete to be the next Batman" and Bruce Timm hated that idea

14. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan I Will Find Him!

Does anyone remember that design that was made by someone it was based on the Batman but it was the Superman? And he had a robot on the pic with him.

Weirdly I thought I had already asked this in here but my post seems to have disappeared

15. Yeah, That was some Portfolio fodder I did while working on The Batman...

Hey there. The work you are referring to was some fan art portfolio fodder I did while working on The Batman many years ago. I was just having a bit of fun drawing the Metropolis Guy since I had spent 3 seasons drawing the Gotham Guy. Somebody took it off my blog a few years back and made a bogus claim about it being the NEXT Superman cartoon (which was entirely False) and causing all sorts of generalized havoc over nothing more than my simple portfolio art. And now you know the rest of the story.

Cheers!

Thomas Perkins
    Animation Character Designer
    The Art of Thomas N. Perkins IV

#15 Thomas Perkins, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2013
  16. RoryWilliams

That would be the anime one I just mentioned. He said the pitch was that it'd be an anime set in the far future with three kids who become the future equivalents of Batman, Robin and Batgirl. Timm was happy about the idea but Kid's WB rejected it and asked if it could instead be about kids competing to be the next Batman, since they wanted the tone to be more like Pokemon.

17. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme
    Staff Member Moderator

Ah, very interesting.

Thanks for clearing that up and welcome aboard, Mr. Perkins!

18. Thanks, M.O.D.O.K.! :)

19. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond Active Member

I remember this was discussed before, but there was once an idea of doing a The Batman animated movie based on Jeph Loeb and Jim Lee's Hush comic run, but then it was dropped in favor of The Batman vs. Dracula. Anyone ever see anything more about that?

20. Hero Supreme

Hero Supreme Mr Jinx No More

Here is a link to some info. Hopefully Hush gets a fair treatment someday. DtV perhaps?

• Like Like x 1