Regal Academy Series Talkback Thread

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by SparkleMan, Jul 26, 2016.

1. SparkleMan

SparkleMan Well-Known Member

With the show premiering in a few weeks, I'm making a talkback thread for this.

2. Neo Yi

Neo Yi A Cargo of Fineries
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

We don't make talkback threads until at least the day before it premieres. For now I'm going to lock this thread. When Regal Academy is about to air, I'll reopen this thread. (If I forget, send me a PM and I'll get on it.)

3. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The show is making its U.S. debut on Nickelodeon tomorrow at 8:00 a.m, so feel free to discuss the show in this thread once it airs.

4. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Today's episode was the actual episode 1, titled A School for Fairy Tales. Unfortunately, over the years, Nickelodeon has sometimes chosen to start airing a new series with another episode as the debut instead of episode 1. As this was the origin story, it was unsurprisingly filled with a lot of exposition and character introductions. I'll give it a couple more episodes to see how each episode usually unfolds. Still, the similarities between this and Winx Club are there: several cutesy small animal types, a key to another world, and a main character in awe of a huge sudden change. In this Rainbow series, however, rather than have Regal Academy be an all-girls school that would create instant comparisons to Winx Club, there are boy characters on Rose's team as well. I found the theme song to be enjoyable and catchy, although the verse heard for the TV show opening does not rely on using rhymes. There is a longer version of it, surprisingly titled "Live the Magic" with another song given the title "Regal Academy" on the official Regal Academy Youtube channel.

5. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

So another shows trying to capitalize on Ever After High. But it does have its own edge, it has some magical girl mixture.

The lead girl, she is Usagi Tsukino, from the clumsiness to her short attention, her bad academics, to her overall positive attitude.

I wonder if any villains are going to be on this show, because so far it is just exhibition competition like the first arc of My Hero Academy was this team competition among the protagonists, than the next arc you have the league of villains show up.

6. AJ Skyterra

AJ Skyterra The Crystal Bending Gem of Science

This is purely a mix of Ever After High and Winx Club. When I was fist watching it I could map out essentially what would happen at each minute. It is extremely predictable BUT...I still enjoyed it. I don't think it's at all as charming as Miraculous Lady Bug, but it's entertaining and I think it'll keep a girl's attention ages 7 - 12. I like the team dynamic they have so far and some of the character designs. Sooo yah, I will probably watch this every now and again.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

7. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yes, we have a villain, and apparently her name is: Vicky Broomstick. Yes, a company that has worked with Nickelodeon in the past on Winx Club chose to use the same first name for a villain as the one from The Fairly Oddparents, who is one of Timmy Turner's most well-known antagonists. That isn't a good way to start off a new series with Nickelodeon, considering the thousands of other possible first names for girls out there. They could even have used an Italian version of "Vicky" and it would have worked better IMHO. She is similar to Chloe from Miraculous Ladybug, who seems to want to antagonize the main characters as the standard "mean girl" archetype, but with "villain powers" too here.

And it is not just Sailor Moon this show is reminding me of, but also Star Vs. The Forces of Evil as well, with the setup reversed: the main character finds out she has powers. In fact, in the English version, Rose Cinderella sounds a lot like Star Butterfly IMHO. When Rose says, "This is so cool!" at the beginning of the episode , to me, it sounds exactly like something Star Butterfly would say. Not addressed or explained in the first 2 episodes is why they both need to have school uniforms, and also have magic powers to instantly transform into them, rather than simply require they be worn before they enter the gate. It's not like the uniforms themselves would really stand out on Earth IMHO, and give their fairy tale school location away.

I feel as though this episode's focus on a dragon race took away from getting to know the main characters better, something critical in the first episodes of a new series, because they also had to establish dragon characters too. It doesn't help Rose ended up in another fairy tale world, that of 1,001 nights, where she met a genie, to help her restore her dragon's health. It feels like it is trying to do too much too soon IMHO.

8. zoombie

That doesn't count. I mean villains that want to do evil to the school to the classic fairy tale characters. This Vicky Broomstick person is just a jerk, she is a villain the same way Cheetah is a villain in DC Super Hero Girls, yes she is jerk within our ranks, but she is still one of us. In the specials she was on team good guy in Super Hero High special against Granny Goodness and her minions, and I bet she was not going to be on Dark Opal side in the Hero Of The Year special. Unless there is some major plot twist, I don't think Vicky wants to destroy the school and destroy everyone.

When I mean villain, I mean someone that is a treat to the well being of this school, of this fairy tale world.

Anyway Dragon races, the pacing is similar to something else, Sofia the First, the second of the episode of Sofia the First (the first episode after the pilot movie) had a similar plot.

9. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I feel Rainbow will avoid doing that here, simply because they already did much of that premise in Winx Club's 6th season. It would just be largely repeating the Mythix story arc IMO, without the Legendarium and the witches. It is too recent for them to just transfer stories from Winx Club into Regal Academy.

10. zoombie

Okay I am going to mention the big elephant in the room, how awful a mother Cinderella turned out to be. Encourage your granddaughter to keep secrets from her parents, what a terrible influence. I hope the don't tell you mother secret was just about Rose attending this magical school which in it self is bad, Rose's parents better be in on the whole fairy tale world and Cinderella being their mother / mother in law. That is why skip a generation plots never work for me, you are just excluding someone and being a terrible parent and bad influence grand parent.

I never liked when kids keep big secrets from parents trope, but make it even worse when you add the grand parent to the equation like in Ben 10. When Ben's parents found out in Alien Force, Ben's dad had every right to be pissed.

11. zoombie

Now I am stating to see how Rose is like Star Butterfly, her antics at the beginning, that is so Star, except she is not raciest towards monster, but yes she is Star, and I guess her whole team is Marco.

I liked Historia "I don't need no man" speech at the beginning, good for her. That is something old school fairy tale characters are not going to get.So far Historia is my favorite character, is it so wrong to wish she was the main character and Rose was just a dim witted sidekick?

I figured that was Rep's scheme to get her grand daughter to reconnect with her old friend, and the reason she their friendship kind of died, Historia got to caught up in studies, reminds me of a certain princess on another series, the princess of Friendship Twilight Sparkle.

And the teacher was surprised two teams worked together, okay what is going on, why is everyone divided into teams? I hope that question is answer some day, dividing everyone into teams, that doesn't create unite, that just divides people, and if a great evil arrives, that could come to bite us in the behind, because we are going to need unity. I think that is a mistake of the old generation that they screwed up when the baddies show up, if they do.

And looks like Cinderella is not as awful as I thought she was, as Rose's mother is in on the whole magical world thing, so Cindi didn't keep everything a secret from her, the only secret is Rose attending this school, and it won't be long till they find out, since Rose is terrible at keeping this secret, I pretty sure her mother is starting to suspect.

#11 zoombie, Aug 27, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  12. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Actually, her name is Astoria Rapunzel, like the famous New York City hotel, and yes, if she was the main character here, everyone would be comparing this to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic rather than Ever After High, because of the Twilight Sparkle parallels.

A lot of this show seems to be Rainbow doing something different, just to be "not Winx Club." Why are the students in teams that appear put together at random? Not Winx, that separated their schools between Alfea, Cloud Tower, and Red Fountain. Why do the Regal Academy students need an entire summoning sequence for each character to pull out a magic wand? Not Winx, since they undergo magic transformations in their sequences. Why is the mother keeping her time at Regal Academy a secret, and why does grandma Cinderella not want Rose to let her mother know she's attending Regal Academy? Not Winx, that started with the first season with the parents being aware of Bloom attending Alfea.

I found today's episode the most enjoyable of the 3 aired so far, since Rose's role was somewhat reduced to allow character focus on Astoria and Joy. And there was an actual battle with a monster in this episode. I found it an interesting twist that Joy could turn back into a frog at random.

13. zoombie

Okay it is like they are listening to me. As soon as I say I wish Astoria was the main character and I love her girl power aspect, we get an episode like that, and Astoria of this episode.

Astoria is my favorite character, no more debates as of this episode, she is my favorite character. I love Astoria she wants to prove she don't need no prince to be her hero, and I just love that.

As for this episode, I like the message they were trying to give, but the execution was poor. I like the whole don't judge a book by its cover, but the way they got it was just weird. The giant who everyone thought was evil was not, good message, but he is not evil because he has nice hair, I what? It is so superficial, so I guess a bald ugly guy can't be a good guy, great message. And the whole reason the evil hen had power over the giant, was because he was superficial, here I thought maybe he needed the eggs to live, nope it was superficial. And the whole toilet humor, you know how I feel about that, I hate it. Also don't like when villains say they are evil, makes it less threaten, less of a character, a good villain in their minds they are the heroes in their own story.

But despite my problems I liked this episode, Astoria just rules, perhaps I am bias, an episode that centers on Astoria is going to have to be so bad, for me not to like it. It is like a Peridot center episode on Steven Universe, impossible for me to hate.

Okay enough about episode, now about the series in whole, I wanted some over arcing I guess I got it. I guess Vicky is not just a mean over competitive person, she is a villain and aligned whoever are main threats. My guess since they mention gates, the plot is Vicky is aligned with some evil forces that want to break into the school. I think Vicky she is related to some fairy tale villain, I don't know who, the queen from Snow White, here is one how about Cinderella's step mom, a lot of possibilities. Though I wonder why did they let her in the school in the first place if that is the case. And the people that run the school, don't seem good hearted enough to just not judge someone based on their families, they are the type of close minded jerks to say "because your grandma is evil, I am going to assume you are evil, and not giving you a chance."Though whatever evil Vicky is a part of, her team mates are not really part of it. I wonder if they will play any role down the line, if they redeem Vicky in the future, maybe what ever good is in her might come out if she grew to care about them just a little, because I am sure her evil family is not going to spear them when they unleash their evil goal. If I am right about her family linage, than I want her to be redeemed, because you come from a crumming family, you will just follow in their foot steps, and that will be it.

Maybe I am over thinking, if it was up to him, you could parryl Astoria and Vicky, in trying to be independent of the previous generation, Astoria she is trying to be her own person, and just rebel against her grandma and her believes, while Vicky just following the footsteps of her ancestors. Maybe Astoria can teach her you can choose your own destiny. But that is not going to happen because Astoria is not the main character.

14. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Making the big reveal be over hair care was a big letdown. There must be some evil fairy tale characters out there who keep their hair in good condition, right? Couldn't the giant show some element of being a hero against the hen in the end?

The evil hen tells the students to slide down the beanstalk, when it is obvious looking at it that it has been "spiked." Oddly, I felt the hen's plan would have worked better without the spikes. That's because the students just sliding down the beanstalk itself means they could potentially fall off the side of the beanstalk at some point and crash into the ground, without Astoria being there to help.

While Rose does note the "legendary magic container of preservation" is a refrigerator, I don't think she saw the lack of a plug for it. In that sense, it is indeed a magic container, since it would not have a traditional power source.

15. zoombie

I thought this was Regal Academy, not the Bachelor's, and what is with all classic fairy tale characters trying to fix up their grand kids, first Rapunzel and now Snow White, leave the poor grand kids alone. Though so far Cinderella is not going down that path, giving what her soon to be in laws did to her soon to be husband, I don't know if that makes sense or not.

There are times when things happen and you can blame the victim, most famous example any time Ash and company fall for Team Rocket's stupid disguises, and this is one of time. I think the character's name is Gabe, I am still learning their names, Gabe just accepted Vicky's gift and I thought at the time, he deserves he brought up on himself, why accept anything from Vicky, Gabe knows better, and should stay clear of any potions you get from her, at least Ash is just dumb, I don't think Gabe is dumb, he was just lazy, and just hoping for the best.

And just me or did Vicky seem uncharacteristically chaotic evil, up till now Vicky has an end goal to whatever happening ends up to benefit her, I don't think she had any end goal, she took a chance to chaos and took it.

Second episode in a row, I am feeling uncomfortable with how they are treating good looking people and ugly people. Last episode, we could tell the giant wasn't really bad because he had nice hair and superficial, yup that meant he had a good soul, while in this episode the ugly troll is just evil, no sympathy or redemption for the poor soul that just wanted love. At this point, either Vicky is changing her true appearance and her true form is something hideous, or she is going to be redeemed at some point which I hope happens, but that is off topic, can we have any sympathetic nice ugly people here. I know traditional fairy tales, they make ugly people villains, and when ever they have an ugly protagonist, turns out they were under a spell and they were good looking all along, but come on 21st century, brake the trope.

And the kids got their pet companions, okay some progression, hopefully they stick around.

And lastly, that is, it is decided Astoria is my waifu. I just love me some Astoria, even though she didn't do much in this episode, she has that grace and style that just draws me in

16. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I've figured it out: Vicky took a trip to Paris, and met Chloe Bourgeois, and she gave Vicky pointers on "how to be an antagonist for no other reason than to be an antagonist for the main heroes." :D Between Vicky's behavior today, and Chloe's in the Miraculous Ladybug episode, it was not a great day for characterization for the female antagonist characters.

Also, is name is Hawk SnowWhite, and yes, accepting Vicky's help was very dumb, but I disliked the princesses being enamored of Hawk before that point since, as you've said about this show before, it is very superficial.

Unfortunately, any kind of deeper meaning than just "Rose and company must do this to get a passing grade" appear to be missing here.

Those pets are seen as part of the opening credits, both in scenes, and as part of the "text credits." Also, thinking about it some more, was the summoning pet ceremony rigged? Note that Rose gets a mouse, and looks who delivers her key in the first episode. Do the students actually control what they get, or is somebody manipulating their choices?

#16 Tommy Lawson, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  17. Casper17

Casper17 Member

Regal Academy Is Coming To Nicktoons Africa From 14 November At 18:30 from prsdube16.blogspot.com
    [​IMG]

Sent from my GT-S6790 using Tapatalk

18. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

From Kidscreen, Regal Academy now has a North American master toy licensee, Auldey Toys, with a toy line expected in mid-2017. Don't be surprised if this news means Nickelodeon puts Regal Academy on hiatus soon, just like they did for Miraculous Ladybug earlier this year when its toy release date was scheduled for fall 2016, so that they'll air new episodes closer to the toy line release date. The recent Saturday 8:00 a.m. ratings are also not helping to keep new Regal Academy episodes going, so I'm expecting Nickelodeon to stop them soon.

19. zoombie

Okay after a one week break, we are back for, it was a un eventful ho hum episode. The theme I am noticing, the adults the grand parents are just can't stand them. This week's episode showcase that, between the way Beauty is so judgemental towards her grandson to the Beast just being an idiot, and what I have seen from what I seen Repunzel thinking it is the 1950's with woman's rights, it is hard to be on their side.

I might actually might be on Vicky's side if she plans on over throwing the school, the adults deserve it.

• Informative Informative x 1
    #19 zoombie, Sep 24, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  20. zoombie

Well they might want to do some mental tests before hire these teachers, Princess Pee's grand daughter kind of crazy. First of all I never heard of the Princess Pee fairy tale, so this is all new to me.

Astoria had some awesome moments which always makes the episode better, but looks like her grades are going to suffer, poor girl.
    Nice to see Rose's parents again, and since this orientation course is ending soon, well we get to some plot development. It seems so far it is all follow the same episode formula, though this episode did change the formula a bit, Vicky was not involved at all with the conflict, well it is something different. But dam I want some plot progression.