1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

References to Animaniacs & Tiny Toons etc in other shows

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by Dr. Toonhattan, Mar 20, 2010.

1. darkdetective

darkdetective Former TZ Reporter/Reviewer

BTAS: Batman asks Barbra what she's doing tonight. "The same thing we do every night, Pinky." "What?" "Never mind."

2. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

"Who debugs the massive computer control center because our own feeble brains can barely add fractions? Who provides the warm, inviting water in which you can bathe your filthy oil-stained carcass? Who goes on mind-bendingly dangerous missions in the cold, unforgiving space, while you sit inside cozy as Alastair Cooke, sipping cocoa and watching 'Tiny Toons'? Pinch yourself hard, Mr. Robot, you deserve it!"

Episode 320, "The Unearthly". Brilliantly written segment!

3. mariobro27

mariobro27 Member

not a TV reference, but I remember a Boondocks comic strip that referenced Pinky and the Brain by showing them working at Wal*Mart. dont remember how it went though...

4. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

It isn't a show. But on one of the Futurama DVD's, there was a commentary where the v.o. of Brain did the voice.

5. Itchy

Itchy Scratchy's enemy

Just saw a Simpsons episode were More calls a food critic Freakazoid.

6. Dr. Toonhattan

I don't suppose you know what the title of the episode was by any chance?

7. chalmers

chalmers Role Model

I'm guessing he's talking about Guess Who's Coming To Criticize Dinner? from season 11. Being as I don't particularly care for this episode, I haven't seen it in quite some time, so I don't remember that Freakazoid! reference, but it very may well be in there.

8. MattieShoe

MattieShoe Member

Well, Ed Asner did have a guest spot in that episode, so it definitely seems likely.

9. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

The word "freakazoid" existed before the show did.

10. chalmers

chalmers Role Model

Also, according to IMDB, the Treehouse of Horror episode from season 12 contained a reference to Freakazoid!, with writer John Frink's "scary name" depicted as "Frinkazoid". Again, since I found this particular episode rather awful, I didn't catch that reference.

Yeah, so, what's your point? Even though it was a word before the show existed, I'd still see why it's possible, and most likely probable, that The Simpsons writers were referring to the cartoon.

11. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes Active Member

If we're counting comics, Pinky and the Brain made a cameo appearance in the mainstream DC Comics universe, at the end of a story with Impulse vs. Gorilla Grodd (as Impulse's new "pets"). A later Flash story reveals "Bart's new mice" apparently have "vanished" (guess Brain couldn't stand living with his new "owner" :p).

The Looney Tunes comic recently showed Hubie and Bertie somehow winding up being scientists' test-subjects in Acme Labs, though said lab's more famous rodent pair aren't mentioned or shown oddly enough.

Too bad they didn't do more with the idea of the mice in the DCU... could see it now:

- Brain figuring he's smarter than Gorilla Grodd (and trying to discover the secret of Grodd's "force of will" mental powers).

- Brain meets... the Brain (of Doom Patrol villainy fame). Also Pinky meets Pinky (obscure sidekick of Mr. Scarlet of the old Fawcett Comics heroes), or Brainiac / Brainiac 5.

- Pinky and the Brain finally meet up with Superman after having briefly taken care of him some 30 years prior. Bonus points if Krypto or Streaky get involved somehow. :p

- Brain matches wits against the scientific genius of the world's wickedest worm, Mr. Mind (who also has vast mental powers... see Grodd again).

- Pinky and Brain wind up on Earth-C and meet the Zoo Crew; hijinks (and Pinky laughing at the animal-pun names of Earth-C cities/countries while Brain ponders how to conquer "Waspington DC" and take over the "United Species of America", or his reaction to being in a world where *everyone* is a sentient animal of some sort) ensues.

-B.

12. Totally_Insaney

Totally_Insaney what is this? i don't even

Yeah I remember that!

13. Itchy

Itchy Scratchy's enemy

Nope, but I can tell you the plot if that helps. It was about Marge helping Moe give the tavern a more classy look and he then falls in love with her.

14. chalmers

chalmers Role Model

^Oh, okay, that would be the episode Mommy Beerest from a few seasons ago.

15. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

If we're counting comic book appearances, Pinky and the Brain make a cameo (of sorts) in issue #2 of Marvel VS DC. A guy goes to a collectible store and asks the clerk "What happened to the X-Men stuff?" and the clerk, who's obviously from the DC universe starts to ask "What's X-Men?" just before all heck breaks loose. On the clerk's counter, we see figurines of Pinky and the Brain.

A few Looney Tunes characters also appear as toys in this scene: Tweety, Sylvester, Wile E. Coyote, Road Runner, Bugs Bunny and Speedy Gonzales.

16. Super Sonic

Super Sonic Fastest Thing Alive

Huey (watching a Wal-Mart TV commercial): I see Wal-Mart is still struggling with its image problems.

Pinky: What are we gonna do today, now that we work for Wal-Mart, Brain?

Brain: Same thing we do every day, Pinky. Try to take over the world...

17. Master Toon

Master Toon Active Member

Everyone has mentioned the ones I already knew so there's no point in echoing them.

The thing about references is that something in the scene has to directly make you think of that particular show/person/thing. If you're watching a sitcom and someone says "What do you think this is, Recess?!" you can't automatically assume they're referencing the cartoon. More than likely they're talking about recess in real life. There has to be something there that can link it to the cartoon.

18. Dr. Toonhattan

Sorry to bump the thread back up again, but apparently, there is a Goodfeathers reference in Bolt.

[​IMG]

19. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Kyupikon!

In the movie "See Spot Run" (according to imdb), Pinky and The Brain is being watched on the TV in the movie.
    Has anyone seen this movie? I haven't.

20. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Disney borrows an idea from Warner Bros./Steven Spielberg!