1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

References to Animaniacs & Tiny Toons etc in other shows

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by Dr. Toonhattan, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Dr. Toonhattan

As we know, Animaniacs and Tiny Toons were well known for their numerous parodies and skits through the years, but I was wondering, has anybody seen any references or parodies to the WB silver age cartoons in other shows?

Here's some that I've found:

In South Park, Animaniacs is mentioned by name, When Cartman is asked whether he likes the show or not.

[​IMG]

Cartman! How could you say such a thing?! That was Cartman's Silly Hate Crime 2000, Season 4.

A possible reference to Tiny Toons from The Simpsons?

[​IMG]

This is the title card to the middle segment in Treehouse Of Horror IX, Season 10.

Again with the simpsons, this is a link to a brief parody of Helloooo Nurse!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLpBNwwSFkw
    The Ziff Who Came To Dinner, Season 15.

So have you guys seen any more such references? I'm sure there are plenty out there, it's only a matter of time until Family Guy does one I guess, unless they already have and I haven't seen it yet of course. Anyway... Your comments.

2. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

First thing that comes to mind: the Hobgoblins episode of MST3K, in which Pearl refers to Prof. Bobo and Brain Guy as "Pinky" and "Brain" during the sketch where Mike and the 'Bots try to escape the Satellite of Love while using some cardboard cut-outs of themselves and a tape recorder to deceive Pearl.

Also, the 1990's Casper cartoon (i.e. the one based on the 1995 movie) features numerous Animaniacs references throughout the series (the most noticeable being a Space Jam parody in which the cast of Casper are forced to play a game of basketball against a trio of invading cartoon characters that are expys of the Warners).

#2 TnAdct1, Mar 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2010
  3. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm not so sure about that one...looks like just a Lovitz thing.

Also remember, "Hello Nurse" did not originate with Animaniacs; it's an old expression dating back to Vauldville I think. There's a "Bonkers" episode where "Hello Nurse" is said by a character several times, and it aired around the same time "Animaniacs" premiered -- not after.

Here's a real one I remember, from "Full House" of all places: for some reason Michelle is the deciding factor on whether the Tanners will get a big-screen TV or a karaoke machine. Stephanie wants the karaoke machine, DJ wants the big-screen...and she tells Michelle that if she had one, "you could watch Tiny Toons...and they wouldn't be so TINY." Cue laugh track; wittiest joke ever.

4. Krabby Fries

Krabby Fries Better Than The Coral Bits

The classic Seinfeld episode, "The Contest." Jerry must abstain from a certain activity, so instead he sits at home watching Tiny Toons.

5. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Mind you, I haven't seen this particular episode since I stopped watching The Simpsons a while ago, but I think that this title is first and foremost a spoof on The Terror of Tiny Town (1938), a sendup of Westerns with an all-midget cast, and a notoriously bad movie classic.

6. chalmers

chalmers Role Model

That episode title was not intended to be a reference to Tiny Toon Adventures, but rather to the movie The Terror Of Tiny Town(1938).

There is a connection between the two shows though, aside from people like Jim Reardon working on both shows at one point. The fourth season episode The Front, which deals with Bart and Lisa writing Itchy And Scratchy cartoons, was inspired by a news story where a young child wrote a script for Tiny Toons, and the producers actually made it into an episode of the show. The writers for The Simpsons heard about this and were intrigued about the idea of a script written by a kid being turned into an actual episode, and thought it would make for a good Bart and Lisa episode.

Other references I can immediately think of is the movie See Spot Run, where the kid is watching an episode of Pinky And The Brain before he abruptly turns it off, an episode of Seinfeld featured Jerry watching a clip of Tiny Toons, and there is this, which is a highly sought after album stateside for obvious reasons.

7. Shift

Shift Brave Warrior of the Sea

An episode of the dubbed Sgt. Frog, where the frogs try to make their own cartoon, has the title "The Episode We Wanted To Call Tiny Toons or Animaniacs, But Those Were Already Taken".

8. EJLD4Ever

EJLD4Ever Animation Student

I am not sure why, but Family Guy's "Freakin' FCC" song from the episode "PTV" sounds eerily similar to something Yakko, Wakko and Dot would have sung...does anyone agree?

9. Framwinkle

Framwinkle Crazy Squirrel

In the Duck Dodgers episode, "Pig Planet", there are three young pigs who are clearly parodies of the Warners. You can tell when you hear them that they have the same voices and voice actors, and they act a lot like the Warners, too. The Wakko pig has a red cap, and the Dot pig has a pink dress and her hair done up to look a bit like Dot's ears. Unfortunately the Yakko pig fails when it comes to wardrobe, completely lacking khaki pants.
    [​IMG]

10. Savoury Sauce

There's an episode of 'I Am Weasel' in which the Red Guy is a cartoon director and is giving Weasel and Baboon all these cartoon cliches in their scripts.
    At one point he gets them to re-enact a scene from a Bugs Bunny cartoon, to which Weasel objects and agrily shoves the script in the Red Guy's face.
    To paraphrase: "You crossed out 'Bugs Bunny', then 'Buster Bunny', and scribbled in 'Weasel!'

The fact that the Red Guy is voiced by Charlie Adler makes it funnier.

11. Fifi Fanatic

Fifi Fanatic Certified Skunkologist

There was an episode of "The Mask" cartoon series in which Stanley (The Mask) gets to meet his favorite cartoon characters, The Goofalotatots. These three were obviously ersatz Warners. If I remember correctly, at one point Stanley is trying to figure out where the bad guys are holding the 'tots, and somebody else points out the window to a water tower and says "Where do you think?".

Wasn't there a pseudo-Elmyra in a Robot Chicken episode?

12. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Yes indeed. In the "Sunny Muffins" skit, Pegasus is captured by demented girl who talks and acts a lot like Elmyra, only even more sadistic. The girl is even voiced by the same actress who voiced Elmyra, Cree Summer. Side note: Summer voiced Penny in an Inspector Gadget parody on this same show.

13. Itchy

Itchy Scratchy's enemy

There is a nazi villain in the Hellsing anime and manga that they for some reason decided to name Montana Max.

In one of Harley's dreams in Mad Love(comic version) you can see a partly silhouetted Babs and Buster. Also, there are characters in some BTAS episodes who read Tiny Toons comics.

#13 Itchy, Mar 21, 2010
  14. Beetlejuice1989

Beetlejuice1989 The Ghost with the Most!

Here's another example of such a reference. In "The Spooktacular New Adventures of Casper" episode entitled "Casper vs. The Ultimate Fan Boy", Phineas (The Ultimate Fan Boy in the episode) mentions Slappy Squirrel. He says "And push the Slappy Squirrel pogs! No one's buying the things!"

#14 Beetlejuice1989, Mar 21, 2010
  15. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

They were able to reference Slappy Squirrel partly because Sherri Stoner and Deanna Oliver worked on both Casper and Animaniacs.

I found it interesting how Casper's writers would have a character take a jab at Slappy Squirrel when even the worst Slappy short was funnier then best episode of Casper.

16. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

SLAPPY: "AHHHHHHHH...put a sock in it, Casper!"

Also: I thought in at least 1 Family Guy episode there was a Pinky/Brain connection done by Stewie and Brian.

17. wiley207

wiley207 Well-Known Member

I remember that! Not only did Rob Paulsen, the voice of Yakko and Pinky, voice Stanley/The Mask (as he did in the entire series) and Tress MacNeille voice the landlord of the apartment, but Jess Harnell guest-starred to voice one of the Goofalotatots to make the reference even more obvious!

As for the Cree Summer on "Robot Chicken" thing, that show is pretty good with getting voice actors. Not only did they have Cree Summer reprise the role of Penny, but they had Frank Welker reprise the roles of Brain, Dr. Claw and M.A.D. Cat (the latter's voice is pretty much identical to Furrball). They also had Frank Welker reprise the role of Megatron in a "Transformers" parody on that show, too.

Though I'm sure it might not be that obvious, the 1994 Hanna-Barbera TV movie "Arabian Nights" seems eerily similar to "Tiny Toon Adventures" and "Animanaics," right down to the music score (it was composed by Animaniacs composer Steve Bernstein, so it makes sense), which sounds like it was performed by the WB orchestra! The jokes and gags were also pretty much trying to imitate the TTA/Animaniacs style, but just coming out as lame knock-offs (such as Magilla Gorilla saying "Amazing how things happen right on cue in a cartoon, isn't it?") Plus the animation was REALLY sub-par, even for 1994!

18. Robochao

Robochao Member

Batman always liked to put in a little nod to Tiny Toons every once in a while. I think they did it more than once but in "Nothing To Fear" I remember it clearly. Dong Yang, animated this episode and may not have gotten the joke while animating it because they never got any Tiny Toons episodes. If AKOM or TMS received this episode they probably would have giggled since they know what the show is.

Do you think someone at Dong Yang was thinking "What in the world am I writing on the cover of this comic book?"

[​IMG]

19. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes Active Member

Wayne's World 2 has the city clerk in charge of granting Wayne and Garth's concert permit mention the various shows (on ice) they're used to giving permission for holding in Aurora, including "Tiny Toons".

An episode of MST3K has a sketch with Tom doing a comparison of how hard-working Gypsy is vs. Crow's sloth, and cites him as "sitting around on his keister watching 'Tiny Toons'!" (IIRC).

Re: Cartman and Animaniacs: Given his favorite cartoon involves farting Canadians, subtlety and wit probably aren't too high on his criteria list...

20. Beetlejuice1989

Beetlejuice1989 The Ghost with the Most!

I think an episode of "Married...With Children" has Kelly refer to Bud as "Tiny Toon":p