1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Recategorizing some pages

Discussion in 'Animation Wiki Discussion' started by Kitschensyngk, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Worse than one of those little blue crunchy things

I am thinking of splitting up the articles in the Anime category between TV series and features. What exactly would OAVs like FLCL fall under, or should I give them their own category?

2. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Probably their own category...there are quite a few.

Of course, this raises the ever-annoying OVA vs. OAV question...a trifling detail if there ever was one, but one has to be picked for the sake of organization. According to this OAV is the original acronym, whereas there was a shift toward "OVA" in Japan in order to avoid confusion with adult animation. Technically both are right. Some say OAV is more common among us English speakers...though this seems subjective. Maybe the apparent industry standard should prevail?

3. Kitschensyngk

I'm working on a name right now. Perhaps maybe "anime video series"?

4. Kitschensyngk

It was a long and arduous task, but I finally reorganized the Anime category...except for two troublesome articles: The Animatrix, because it's more a series of short films rather than episodes, and Black Jack, because it's a TV series, an OAV series AND a movie.

Any ideas?

5. MonkeyFunk

MonkeyFunk Kids and grown-ups love me so

With the Black Jack article it really depends on what direction it goes in when it gets fleshed out - is it going to cover the whole franchise or just one aspect?

If it's the franchise then it'd be a good idea to make an "anime franchises" category.

6. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Yeah, I agree, it'd be sort of like the TMNT entry that lists all the different adaptations of the turtles. Alternatively, it'd be valid to have an articles for the different formats also. In that case it'd go like this..."Black Jack (OVA)" and another titled "Black Jack (2004 series)". There's something to be said for starting with a unified article. Less clutter and more info in one place that way, and if it ends up getting very long it's a pretty simple matter to create specific entries at that point. I'm guessing there also isn't a difference between the OVA and the series on the level of, say, Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood compared to the original series.