1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

World's Finest RPG Reality Check: A Cold Dark Place (PG-13)

Discussion in 'The Story Board' started by Bird Boy, Mar 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bird Boy

Bird Boy WF Admin
    Staff Member Moderator

Off Topic: Reality Check: A Cold Dark Place

Here's the thread for the "Reality" RPG...I have no idea how this will go, but try and keep it PG.. ;)

The Characters Taken list has been updated...

Remember to keep it lively folks!

-BB

2. Freza Resurrected

Freza Resurrected Criminal Mastermind

My partner's name is Bob. You'd think after seeing so many people with the name 'Bob' parents would stop naming their children that. He has one hell of a beer belly and he chain smokes. I can't stand him.
    "Listen up,son. Your a rookie and the first thing rookie's gotta know is that there are three kinds of cops. Good cops, bad cops, and fat cops and all of them have to get a long no matter what because what we got here is a brotherhood do you understand?" Bob explains.
    I shake my head in agreement as I role down the window of the police car. The smoke is really starting to bug me and I'm willing to put up with the thirty degree wind in order to breath a little better.

"Do you watch a lot of movies, Hinrich? A lot of cop movies?"

"I watch a lot of movies but watching Dirty Harry didn't make me want to be a cop." I'm not finished talking but he interrupts me anyway.

"Well the real thing ain't nothin' like the movies. It's constant paperwork. Constant. And right now this city is up to it's eyeballs in crime. You've read up on the case we're handling right now haven't you?" Bob asks. I shake my head and he continues "Well this photograph killer is one sick SOB. He stalks, he breaks in, he rapes, he kills, or he kills then rapes, and then he takes a picture of himself layin' in bed with them and he leaves it. But here's the thing we can't figure out what's with the pointing?"

I clear my throat and answer "He's killed nine and only three of the pictures have had him pointing in a different direction. I read that he points in the direction of his next victim but since it's such a big city it doesn't help us much. Did you notice he pointed with two fingers in the last photo?"

Bob smiles and says "Your good kid. You must be one of the good cops."

"Which one are you?"

"You'll just have to wait and see kid. You'll just have to wait and see."

3. Barb Gordon

Barb Gordon Nin-Mod

I sigh, tugging a loose peice of hair behind my ear for no real reason, other than habit. For about the fifth time this morning I turn behind me and open up the window. I really wish some of the guys would lay off smoking, at least in the station. I breathe in the air, although I doubt it's any fresher than what's in the building. I glance over at my desk, and notice that the coffee I'd planned on having a few hours ago is just about as ice cold as it can get. I grab it and take it over to the sink and dump it down the drain. Not really sure why I get coffee anyways, I never end up drinking it most times. I smile to myself, shaking my head in thought. We'd gotten a new rookie this morning, and the poor kid got stuck with Bob, of all cops. Although I'm only just past the rookie years myself, it was easy to see that Bob was just about the last cop I'd want to get paired up with. But, this guy, think his name's Hinrich or something, looks like he might be able to deal with it. Whether he does well or not with Bob, it looks like we've got another good cop on the force, definetly something to be happy about. Sitting back down at my desk I stare at the paperwork covering it, and shove it to the outbox. Even though I get through the paperwork pretty fast, there's always an endless supply going into the inbox, faster than I can put them into the outbox. I glance at my watch, I've still got at least another hour before I go out on duty on the street. With that thought in mind, I make my way out of the room and down to the shooting floor.

Barb^-^

4. Mattashell

Mattashell Before punk,there were NUGGETS

MH:

I'm walking, trying to look mean. I pass a newspaper vending machine. The headline says "PHOTOGRAPH KILLER STRIKES UPTOWN" I hear someone aproaching, calling "Dude! Hey dude!" I lokk, it's this kid, Chris, I've seen him in the squats. Pathetic dirtbag.

MH: My name is not 'Dude'
    Chris: Oh man. I don't know your name.
    MH: None of your bisines. That's my name.

We continue walking together.

Chris: You got any smokes, man?
    MH: Why is it that all you kids smoke, but none of you ever buy your own cigarettes?
    Chris: Man, you've seen me around here you know I got no money"
    MH: Well then you don't have any ciggarettes either.

We turn down a less traveled street. He loses his attention and is looking past me. I turn to see a hoodlum pressing a gun in the ladies face. We look like street trash to him. He doesn't even care that we see him. I grab the gun hand and twist it behind his back. I apply pressure until I hear it break. Then I drop to the ground pulling him with me and twist his leg until that breaks too. I pick up his gun and point it at him. Chris pulls at my arm.

Chris: No dude! Don't do it!

He's pointing down the block, I see the woman is running a way and talking into her celphone. I can hear the sirens in the distance. "You got lucky, scum." I hack a loogi on his face and kick him hard in the ribs.

Chris: Come on let's go!
    MH: Walk. Don't run.

We walk a little ways back down the block to the busy avenue where we bland in with the crowd. When we reach a safe distance we duck down an alyway.

Back by the dumpster there is a naked body. She is slit down the middle with her guts hanging out. Chris turns an vommits.

Chris: Call the cops.

I punch him in the head.

MH: No cops!

I notice something in the middle of all the gore. It's a poleriod.

5. Freza Resurrected

Bob stops the car at a street corner. Two kids run out of an alley across the street one of them's pukeing all over the place. I suspect under age drinking.

"What's your intuition say?" Bob asks as he runs a comb threw his gray hair.

"Some kids had too much booze too early." I reply. He looks at me like I'm stupid then he parks the car and tells me to get out.

We step out of the car and I run across the street. By the time Bob reaches the alley the kids run away. I want to go after them but he yells at me for even thinking about it.

"Don't chase them down. Their not hurting anybody...do you smell that?" he asks.

I sniff the air "It's horrible, probably the puke." he shakes his head as he lights up another cigarette.

"Welcome to homicide kid, that's the smell of death." he walks down the alley the sound of crushing garbage under his heavy footsteps is unpleasing. I follow him until we reach a dumpster. I'm afraid to look at what's behind it, Bob's telling me to take a look. A crumpled newspaper blows past my feet I watch as it tumbles down the alleyway and it's color changes from a light brown to a dark red.

The woman looks like she is in her early thirties. Her intestines are spilled across the ground and I watch as the maggets crawl threw her red hair. Bob bends down and looks closer at the guts at his feet. A picture lies soaked in blood, a man standing in the alley above the mangled body. The killer is standing. He is in the shadows and his face is covered in pantyhoes. I look at the body and the woman's right leg has pany hoes the left does not.

"It's not our man." I say.

"Our? Do you got a mouse in your pocket? This isn't our case."

"Wasn't it you that said we were part of a brotherhood?" Bob doesn't reply and he turns his attention back to the body.
    "It's a copy cat. All of this isn't his style at all."

"So I've noticed. How long has it been since the last murder?" Bob asks as he stands up.

"Four days and the killer takes three week intervals. He wouldn't rape in an alleyway and he wouldn't destroy such an attractive body either."

Bob walks past me and he takes the green cellphone out of his pocket. "Well?" I ask.

"It's a copycat, a more sloppy,gruesome version of the Photograph Killer so you're wrong boy. This is 'our' man and you should have gone after those kids."

6. Gyro

Gyro Never Knows Best

I walk up to the little shack. I know one of the head guys of the syndicate will be here tonight. I figure if I take one down they'll either get real scared or real mad. I open the door and see five people sitting at a small table playing poker. They turn and stare at me.

"Spike! What are you doing here?" one asks

"It won't matter to you in a few seconds," I reply

Two big guys step up behind me. Damn, I didn't think they'd have guards. I grab a gernade from my trench coat and throw it on the table. At the same time I run towards the window, guns firing at me. I shoot the gernade. I can feel the heat from the exlosion as I crash through the window. I land hard on the ground.

"That didn't go as smoothy as planned," I say, "but at least I got 'em."

7. Barb Gordon

Barb Gordon Nin-Mod

I cock my head and the gun, aim it and wait just a split second before pulling the trigger. I know without briging the target up for a closer look that I've hit it right on the mark. I push my protective glasses up on my head as I pauses to switch cartridges. Someone whistles behind me.
    "Pretty nice shooting there, Tex."
    "Haha, very funny, Chucky."
    The guy behind me frowns,
    "You love calling me that only because you know I hate that nickname, right?"
    I look over my shoulder and grin,
    "Of course, what reason is better than that?"
    He comes into the booth with me, grabs his gun out of it's holster and shoots off a few rounds.
    "I think you missed."
    "Oh shut up, you."
    I pull my glasses back over my eyes with a smirk,
    "So, what's up?"
    "Nothing really....here the buzz lately,though?"
    I pause as I'm about to fire again.
    "No......what buzz?"
    "Looks like we got a copycat running around. A pretty disgusting one at that."
    I fire off the round,
    "Damn it."
    Charles nods.
    "Yeah, pretty much."
    I put my gun back in the holster and take off the glasses,
    "Whose on it?"
    "Looks like Bob and the new guy."
    I roll my eyes as he and I exit the booth,
    "Geeezus!"
    I exclaim,
    "We're letting a rookie try and take care of this? With Bob?!"
    I hiss,
    "Someone could get hurt, Charles."
    "Yeah, I know that too. But what are we going to do?"
    I sigh,
    "I don't know. But I'll figure something out. God, a copycat? Just what we need...."

Barb^-^

8. Batgirl_2005

Batgirl_2005 Don't I Wish...

I take a deep breath as I enter Alex's trailer, the smoke in the air makes me cough. Ethan, sitting on the couch (also his bed), grins at me. He is, of course, smoking a cigarette.

"Hey sexy." He says. Jeez... if the fact that he always says that didn't flatter me, I'd deck him.

"Those are bad for you." I state, not even giving him a hello.

"Bloody brilliant Holmes!" He says putting on an extremely bad British accent. I roll my eyes at him.

"Whatever. I'm gonna change then I'm going running. Where's Alex?" I ask.

"Out with Mandy." Ethan states. I cringe slightly. Mandy. Alex's stupid little whore girlfriend. She's younger than I am! Alex is stupid to think...

At that moment Alex storms in. His bleached blonde hair is messed up and there is a red hand mark across his right cheek. I smirk slightly.

"What? Did you and the whore get in a fight?" I say as though I was talking to a five-year-old.

He glares at me and then smirks. "Attention!" I slam my heels together and bring bring my arm up in a salute just out of habit.

"Do you have a date tonight?!" He shouts, still imitating a commanding officer.

I smirk slightly, I know how to get to him just as well as he knows how to get to me. "SIR, yes, SIR!" I shout. He smacks me upside the head. He hates being called sir.

Ethan gives me a quick salute and I relax. Out of habit and practice i still can't relax until I've been saluted back.

"Who are you going out with tonight?" Ethan asks. I smile sheepishly.

"Same guy as always... Erick." I look at the ground. Alex rolls his eyes.

"He's going to hurt you, Key." He says soothingly. He's more protective of me than my parents ever were; it's almost scary. But he was like that before he adopted me.

"I was going out with him for a month before you ever adopted me. When all my other friends completely ditched me, he stayed with me. He's not going to hurt me." I say, then I add, just to annoy him. "You're the one that's going to get hurt."

"What's that supposed to mean." He growls. He so cute when he's angry... wait... this is my guardian... creepy.

"Dude, my brother went out with Mandy, remember?"

Alex takes a deep breath. He's about to start a lecture. He's better at those than my parents were. I roll my eyes and storm into the back room.

Fifteen minutes later I come back out in my running outfit.

"I'll be back later." I say, avoiding Ethan's eyes. Alex is gone it seems... THen he comes out of the bathroom in a pair of sweats and a wife beater... jeez... he's buff.

"I'm going with you. So is Ethan." He says, I cock one eyebrow at them.

"Wait... When did this come about? I never said I..." Then he sighs, puts out his cigarette and we leave.

I run ahead of Alex and Ethan. It's not they're in bad shape for running, they just aren't exactly fast. I spent the past several years with the NYC Ballet, I'm in better shape than I ever have been. I had wanted to continue, but Alex and Ethan didn't have nearly enough money.

SUddenly I stop, and Ethan runs into me. Alex runs past and smacks my buttocks. Two strides later he stops. Just ahead of us is a cop car. I can smell a horid stench from here. Carefully the three of us aproach.

9. Freza Resurrected

More police vehicles arrive at the scene and so do pedestrians, all of them trying to get a glimps of the dead body. Bob turns the cellphone off and looks at me. "What are you doing? Put some caution tape up,kid. You can do that much can't you?" I feel about three inches tall after that. I run out of the alley and tell the people to step back and that 'There is nothing to see here!' but they don't listen. I run past them and I look at where Bob's car should be. We were not down the alley twenty minutes and the car is gone. If the punk would have known that it belonged to a detective he wouldn't have stole it but hopefully Bob has one of those tracking devices in it. I really don't want to go back into the alley.
    I turn around and see that another cop has surrounded the area with caution tape. If I ever have second thoughts about the profession I chose now would definately be the time. I turn back around and look at the place Bob parked the car. Before the second rush of panic can run threw my bones Bob puts his hand on my shoulder.
    "What the hell happened to the car?" He asks.

"I don't know." I reply with a very distinct quiver in my voice.

"Of course you know,dumbass. Somebody stole it and it's not the first time either. It's gonna rain in a little bit and so put a tarp over that body and fast! CSI won't make it here for another twenty minutes."

I run back to the alley pushing people away as I run towards the caution tape. I crawl under the tape but before I can stand up someone hits me over the back of the head and I fall to the ground.
    "Stay behind the tape!" says a deep voice. He sounds black, I look up and I'm correct. Another cop and my badge isn't visible so I reach for it. He thinks I'm reaching for a gun so he kicks me in the ribs. I don't have enough air in my lungs to say anything but Bob speaks for me.

"That's my partner you stupid son of a *****!" Bob laughs "He's a rookie. Show him your badge kid."

I reach into my pants pocket and remove my wallet. I flip it like they do in the movies and one of my credit cards goes flying into the crowd. I blink and it disappears. The cop who just beat me pulls me to my feet and smiles.

"Sorry kid, I was just doin' my job." he laughs. Bob laughs with him as I stumble down the alley to help with the tarp.

"Find out which one of those people took my credit card will ya!" I call back. They say 'sure' but I can hear Bob's cigarette lighter ignite. Tiny drops of rain hit my shoulders and I know I should have been a banker.

10. Batgirl_2005

Batgirl_2005 Don't I Wish...

I'm standing at the front of the crowd with Alex and Ethan on either side of me. a credit card flies toward me and lands at me. Carefully I bend over and pick it up. A black cop stands over me when I stand up.

"Planning on doing something with that, miss?" He asks. I shake my head and hand it to him.

"What happened sir?" I ask.

"We're not sure yet." I shudder as he walks away, Alex puts a protectve arm around my shoulder. I strain to see nto the dark alley as it starts raining. I wish I had stayed at home.

11. Barb Gordon

Barb Gordon Nin-Mod

Frustrated I fall back into my chair, fold my arms on the desk and lay my head down. I'm already on the Photo Killer case, but now there's a copycat? I hate it when someone decides to be a copy, it makes the real case that much harder. Of course, all cases are real cases, but now my major case has little add ons to it. Someone taps on my head.
    "What Charlie?"
    Comes my muffled response. I can hear him laughing,
    "What?"
    I ask, raising my head.
    "That was Mark on the radio. Said he just about beat the crap out of the rookie."
    "What?!"
    I asked, alarmed. Charles cracks up even more.
    "Don't worry, the kid's fine. And it was an accident, guess he didn't have his badge visible and when he tried to go under the caution tape, Mark nailed him."
    I shake my head,
    "That's not funny Charles. Poor kid..."
    He finally stops laughing and nods,
    "Yeah, guess you're right. But hey, if he's gonna make it doing this job, he's going to have to deal with some bad crap, right?"
    I nod, he starts smiling again.
    "What now?"
    "Bob got his car jacked again."
    This time I can't help but smile.
    "Are you serious? That's like the third time in a month! We should start taking bets on when it'll get jacked next."
    He grins,
    "Seriously!"
    Just then I see the captain walking towards us, I quickly straighten up,
    "I assume you've heard that it appears we have a copycat of the Photo Killer?"
    He states.
    "Yes, sir. Bob and the rookie are on it, right?"
    He nods,
    "Yes....and I'd like you to be on it too."
    "Wha? But...but I'm already on the actual Photo Killer case!"
    I practically cry out.
    "I'm not being taking off of it, am I?"
    I ask dreadfully. He smiles,
    "Relax Sam, and no, you're not. And you wont be working mainly on this copycat case either. I'd just like you to keep an eye on it, just in case it might have connections with the real Photo Killer case. Or if we might be able to figure out what this copy may do if the Photo Killer does something."
    "Yes, sir."
    "Good."
    And with a nod towards me and Charles he keep walking down to his office.
    "Geesh. He really gives me the creeps sometimes."
    Charles says.
    "I swear the man never blinks."
    All I do is roll my eyes in response. I'm thrilled to be working the Photo Killer case. It's a pretty big case, and I am only just out of rookie status. I should be pleased to be getting to work a little bit on another case as well, but for some reason I'm not. I'm actually surprised at how reluctant I was about it to the captain. Great, I think, what a perfect way to show that you can handle more than one thing....

Barb^-^

12. JLU Dude

JLU Dude Active Member

I'd like to join. I've got an idea for a corrupt cop.

13. Freza Resurrected

5:19 PM, Moe's Little Diner

Mark, the cop who beat me in front of the alley, gave Bob and me a ride to a small diner. It's name was not misleading, it was little and it belonged to a scotish man named Moe. I don't know if it's just me or not but I've never heard of a Scot named Moe before but this is New York. Mark left us there and Bob and I was alone in a cramped diner. He had the fried chicken and I had a hamburger. I bit into the hamburger and found that the meat was still red. I swear it 'moo'd' when I bit into it. They took it back and cooked it longer but watching Bob eat the chicken was like torcher.

"How long is it suposed to be before they bring back your burger?" He asked.

"About ten minutes or so." There is an awkward silence so I decide to find out more about my partner's personal life. "Do you have a family?" I ask.

He sucks a piece of meat out from between his teeth and answers "Um..I had a wife but we're separated. She took our son with her."

"I'm sorry, I was just trying to get to know you and.." I try to apologize but he interrupts me.

"Don't be. I'm not even sure that the boy was mine and that's why we separated. Hey! There's your burger." He pointed to the waiter bringing the burger to our blue table. The last person to bring it out was an old woman but she went home. I saw this man washing dishes a moment ago.

"Here's your burger; the cook almost burnt it this time." He laughed. I would have laughed too but it had been a rough day.

"Thank you." I said as he walked away. I turn my attention back to Bob who is eating a chicken leg. I want to talk about anything but the case but it's inevitable. I can either badger him about his marriage problems or we can talk about two sadist who take pictures of their victims. I quickly lose my apetite and we eat the meal in silence.

14. JLU Dude

JLU Dude Active Member

My corrupt cop character's bio

Name: James Morgan
    Eyes: Blue
    Hair: Brown
    History: James joined the police force when he was 24. After two years on the force he became Dectective and investigated a murder case. He took a ring from the dead body. A crimeboss became aware of this and blackmailed James. James stated accepting payoffs to cover stuff up linked to that crimeboss. He has a girlfriend and uses the payoffs to buy her stuff and hopes to marry her. He regerts doing what he does but wants to keep his job.

15. Barb Gordon

Barb Gordon Nin-Mod

OOC: wow, feel sorry for that guy! Sounds like a neat character though. Speaking of which, I think everyone's characters are pretty great.

IC:

Glancing at my watch I lean over to the desk opposite me and tap on Charles' head.
    "I'm sleeping."
    "No you're not."
    "Yes. I am."
    "Then how come you're having a conversation with me?"
    "I'm sleep talking."
    "Would you just get up, already!"
    "Yes. MOM."
    He jumps out of his chair before I have a chance to smack him on the head. He looks at the clock on the wall.
    "Hey, we have another 15 minutes before our beat, what gives?"
    "I told Mark that we'd pick up Bob and the rookie and bring them back here. They're over at Moe's place right now."
    he grins,
    "They have the best peppermint shakes!"
    "I don't know how you eat those things."
    I reply as I grab my jacket and the keys to our squad car.
    "And why are you driving?"
    "I feel like it."
    "That's a lame reason."
    "You just don't like having a women in charge do you?"
    "Who, me?"
    "Oh shut up."
    He pauses in thought a moment,
    "No, I don't think I will, thank you very much."
    All the way down to the garage we banter back and forth. Once in the car we take off for Moe's Litter Diner.
    "You know I hate that song."
    "That's why I'm playing it."
    "How can you listen to that?"
    "Actually, I'm not that fond of it, but you hate it, so I love playing it."
    "Jerk."
    "Uh huh."
    Finally I switch the station after surviving the song as much as I can.
    "Do we have to listen to that?"
    "What's wrong with the oldie's station?"
    "it's old."
    "Fine."
    I switch to another station.
    "Classical, are you kidding me?"
    "And what would you prefer, Rap? Country?"
    "Rock and Roll would be nice."
    "Fine."
    By the time we make it through one song we both like, we make it to the diner. Charles is out of the car before it's even in park. When he says he loves those shakes, he's not kidding. I enter the diner, leaving him at the counter to grab one of his shakes, as I spot Bob and the kid.
    "Hey there."
    I say as I approach their booth.

Barb^-^

16. Freza Resurrected

Why don't they leave! Badge on the table! Another one...not bad...not bad at all...their talking...no no no no no! Leave! Should I run? No don't run they have no clue no damn clue. I squeeze the spunge and the hot water runs down my pale white arm. The sent of lemon and todays special fill my nostrals and I glance out once more. Their leaving. Thank God their leaving! ooooooohh they'll never catch you. Your too goooood.

17. JLU Dude

JLU Dude Active Member

Detective James Morgan:

I get up and change clothes. I put on my hoslter and put my gun in it. It was 1989 when that stupid crimelord Aronld Thomas caught me getting that ring off the corpse and blackmailed me to help him. I took it for my girlfriend at the time. I have a new girlfriend now. I use the payoff from Thomas gives me to buy her stuff. I walk out and pull out a box of cereal. I get the milk and a bowl and put the cereal in the bowl. I then pour the milk in and starting eating it. I look at the paper. This photograph killer is a sick man who should be brought down. I get down and walk out to the garage. I lock the door and go to my car and get in. I start the car and back out. I back out and put the car in drive and started to head for the station. I get the feeling it's gonna be one of those days.

18. Mattashell

I ditched that fool Chris. I entered the pawn shop and took the gun I got from that mugger out of my pants and set it down on the counter.

MH: How much?
    Dealer: Fifty bucks.
    MH: Sold.

He counts out the bills and gives them to me. He picks up the gun.

Dealer: Hey! this thing is loaded. What the..?

His expression of confussion becomes a grin. He points the gun at me.

Dealer: I decided to keep this present as a free gift. Out of the kindness of your own heart! Now if you'll put my fifty back down on the counter along with whatever you've got and get the hell out of my shop.

I put down the fifty.

MH: I don't have any money.
    Dealer: I know you kids all get money from your loaded folks.
    MH: I'm telling the truth.
    Dealer: Then you're dead!
    MH: HELP! SOMEBODY HELP ME!
    Dealer: Shut up! You think if anyone can hear you they're gonna wanna get involved? Shut up kid!

I kick high and the gun flys out of his hand. I pick it up and point it at him. I take my fifty and back slowly out the door. Just before I leave I take out the bullets and throw them on the floor. When I get out on the street I thow the gun in the sewer.

Dealer: Hello police. This is Donny's Pawn Shop.... I just been robbed.

19. JLU Dude

JLU Dude Active Member

Detective James Morgan:

Ahh, Damn. I get my first call for the day. I grab the radio. I'd hope to get to the station first. "Morgan here, I'll respond to it," I say. Donny's Pawn Shop ain't far. I put the pedal to the metal. I put the siren and light on. It won't take long. I hope this ain't the Photograph killer. I grab my .45 and prep it, just in case the goon's still in the area.

20. Mattashell

Oh, great! That scum called the cops. What an idiot, he actually tries to rob me, and then calls the cops. Who's word would they believe, him or me? Besides I've got reasons for avoiding cops as it is. I'm outta here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.