1. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond New Member

Does anyone remember Ralph Phillips?

Ralph Phillips is the imaginative daydreaming boy featured in two Warner Bros. animated shorts directed by Chuck Jones: "A To Z-Z-Z-Z" and "Boyhood Daze."

I remember both episodes vividly, but in my mind they were mashed together as one. I watched them anyway with my son, and he loved them. Does anyone know if these are available on any DVD collections?

2. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

There was actually a 3rd Ralph Phillips short, featuring an adult Ralph enlisting in the service. It was a propaganda/training film made for the Army, though, so it wasn't originally released for the public. I saw the short once on Cartoon Network's Toon Heads.

Fun trivia fact: kid Ralph was voiced by Dick Beals, who also provided the voice of Speedy Alka-Seltzer.

3. SpongeJosh

SpongeJosh A Bold Kid

"A To Z-Z-Z-Z" is featured on the Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol. 2and "Boyhood Daze" is featured in Vol. 6. Both of the promotional shorts for the army featuring an older Ralph, "90 Day Wondering" and "Drafty Isn't It?" are on Vol. 4.

4. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond New Member

Awesome! Thanks for that bit of info. I'll look into it. Hopefully, they're not edited.

5. Dr. Daedalus

Dr. Daedalus I presume.

Another fun fact: Dick Beals is still alive. He's one of the few Golden Age VAs still with us, though that's not entirely surprising since he was pretty young in 1953.
    They're not edited. In fact, even though "Boyhood Daze" is a "bonus cartoon" on vol. 6 (most of which were not restored), "Daze" was one of the few restored and looks wonderful.

6. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

Remember, no mentioning of how to watch cartoons ilegally. Even if you don't provide links it's against the rules here.

7. Mr Flintstone

Mr Flintstone New Member

Yes, I remember Ralph Phillips. I don't know if this is fact or it's just my opinion, but I believe Ralph in the 1983 holiday classic "A Christmas Story" was inspired by Ralph Phillips.

8. KJ Styles

KJ Styles The Instant Classic

The Golden Collection are Looney Tunes DVD's, they're not illegal.

9. Dr. Daedalus

Dr. Daedalus I presume.

He was referring to a deleted comment.

10. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

Technically, "From A to Z-z-z-z-z" is available on Volume 2, but only as part of the "Adventures of the Road Runner" pilot, meaning it's missing its opening and closing titles. The full cartoon (with its original pre-Blue Ribbon titles restored) can be found on the Academy Award Animation Collection.