1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Radio stations playing Halloween music 24/7?

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by wonderfly, Oct 26, 2011.

1. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

I know there is a HUGE number of radio stations across the country that switch over to all Christmas music in November, but is there any radio stations that at some point in October (or September?) switch over to all Halloween music?

I know there are plenty of stations that switch over to all Halloween music for Halloween day itself (ending at Midnight, with some of those stations switching to Christmas music after midnight), but is there any stations that play Halloween music in the days (or weeks) leading up to Halloween? Any playing Halloween music right now?

2. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

SiriusXM has their 24/7 Halloween channel Scream Radio now through November 1st as well as some other Halloween-based programming on other channels.

You need a subscription, but they do have free trials for 7 days if you want to hear it online-only.

3. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

I think this would be better suited to the Musiquarium. :)

4. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

Its hard to really define "Halloween" music. I mean, if its just horror/scary sounding music, well that stuff is usually played prior to and after halloween as well. Its not like Christmas music which is pretty much tied to one specific season.

5. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Would there even be enough programming to cover that? A couple years ago a local station took some time out of their lunch hour block on Halloween day to play things like "Monster Mash," "Thriller," and "Ghostbusters," but that's all I could see anybody doing as opposed to a 24/7 line-up.

Now, if you also dipped into horror film scores and things like Halloween-themed radio dramas and spooky story readings, that would be something I could see working. That appears similar to what Sirius XM is doing with their channel.

6. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

I've listened to Halloween music online periodically over the last few days at Live365.com. Judging from what they're playing, it's a fairly good mixture, including film scores, popular modern songs like "Thriller", and some music and old radio plays from the 30's, 40's, and 50's...I was pretty impressed with some of the selection: a lot was music I'd never heard before. Also, when I first tuned in, they were playing the soundtrack to the theme from "Tales from the Crypt", which just brought back memories of that show, which was a favorite of mine years ago...

But that's online, not over the radio. If a radio station was going to do it for a few days leading up to Halloween, this weekend may be the time to do it, considering Halloween is on Monday. The radio DJ could say "It's a Halloween weekend, so we're playing all of the greatest Halloween hits!" or something like that...