1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about VCDs

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Calhoun07, May 3, 2001.

1. Calhoun07

Calhoun07 It's Me

Does anybody here know about VCDs? I understand that they are digital video discs, but not quite as sharp as a DVD. Do they play on DVD players? And how would I know if I could play VCDs on my DVD player?

Additionally, I notice that there are several cartoons and animated TV shows available on the VCD format (ALOT of them on Ebay!) but not on DVD. Are these official releases or bootlegs?

I don't have any experience with VCDs so if anybody could provide any information, or point me in the direction where I could get that information, I would be grateful.

2. Clayface

Clayface Molecularly Malleable Mod

I believe that all VCDs are pretty much bootlegs.

Some DVD players play them, some don't. You'll just have to check your DVD manual to see if your's does - if it doesn't say so in the manual, then it doesn't.

3. Psycho Fox

Psycho Fox Toonix Guru

: Does anybody here know about VCDs? I understand that they are digital video discs, but not quite as sharp as a DVD.

Yhea VCD,SVCD and X(S)CD are basicly regular CD's which holds MPEG's. They are limmited in their size and quality.

: Do they play on DVD players? And how would I know if I could play VCDs on my DVD player?

Check you manual

: Additionally, I notice that there are several cartoons and animated TV shows available on the VCD format (ALOT of them on Ebay!) but not on DVD. Are these official releases or bootlegs?

Well probably most offical releases where done on Laser Disks and now DVDs (and of course VHS and Beta but that's a diffent story). I don't know of any offical release from any studio that is only on VCD since most people don't even know the format exists.

: I don't have any experience with VCDs so if anybody could provide any information, or point me in the direction where I could get that information, I would be grateful.

Go here http://www.vcdhelper.com/