1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about "Media Watchdog/Moral Guardian" Jokes

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by Mandouga, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

A number of "silver age" shows often made these kinds of jokes, going all the way back to Tiny Toon Adventures, which premiered in 1990, the same year the FCC passed the so-called "Children's Television Act". On this note, I have a question. Although animated (and I think live-action) shows had done it before, did the silver age shows start doing it (or even ramping it up) in response to this act? I think Freakazoid did this the most often, with episodes such as "Relax-O-Vision", and segments such as the one where a "moral guardian" keeps having various things happen to her.

2. CartoonFridays

CartoonFridays Promoted to detective.

MG jokes have been around since the start of the whole movement in the '60s, but things really began to heat up at the start of the 90s, as artists received more creative freedom and were able to get the stresses of censor clashes off their chests.

I believe Tiny Toons' "Washingtoon" and South Park: BL&U were probably the most vicious attacks (with the villains using giant robots and literally raising Hell). Likewise, The Simpsons' "Itchy & Scratchy & Marge" humanized the issue, as Marge ends up getting kicked out of her own organization when she admits to liking something they want to attack.