1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about external hard drives, PS4 and Xbox One

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by John Pannozzi, Feb 3, 2015.

1. John Pannozzi

John Pannozzi Still Gritty after all these years

If I attach an external hard drive to a PS4 or Xbox One, will the END automatically be rewritten, or will I be able to play the music, videos, etc. already on the EHD?

Also, is WD's My Passport series of EHDs compatible with PS4 or Xbox One?

2. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

For video on Playstation 4, I wouldn't count on that working at all. I put in a USB storage drive with some MP4 videos and could find no way to run them, and apparently this is actually because Sony opted to not allow video playback the same way they did with the Playstation 3. AFAIK this hasn't been changed in a patch yet.

So yeah, the PS3 is actually a superior media device to the PS4. I for one think "it only does everything" was a perfectly good marketing line to live up to......

I would think that the consoles would default to their internal hard drives as the ones they boot off of, and thus would have no reason to format or alter an external hard drive connected to them. I'm not an expert on this, though.

3. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

That, plus being able to use the VR visor to watch films in 3D, makes me very anxious for the 4.50 update.