1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

punk music

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by mxyzptlk, May 2, 2001.

1. mxyzptlk

mxyzptlk Guest

;) hey, who loves punk music on the new boards cause i know i do .
    i like the new forums and the advancements are great.
    bob grey

2. joker

joker Rock N' Roll Heart

i would say that i do

3. Samhaine

Samhaine Time To Relax

I'm a huge punk fan. Though, true punk is dead (R.I.P. Joey Ramone....), the punk out there now is some good stuff. One of my favorite bands right now is A New Found Glory. I still go to Warped Tour every year, and I still go to punk shows, but they're getting kinda beat.

The last show I went to was The Ataris, The Vandals, and Lagwagon. I was not completely bored by Lagwagon, but the other two just weren't that good.

A couple years ago, the punk scene was great. But, ever since Blink182 made it big with their sell-out cd (and I don't mean that it couldn't stay on the shelves, I mean they SOLD OUT) Enema of the State, punk has dying down. A damn shame, I say.

4. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Lagwagon

A fellow Lagwagon fan? Man -- that's rare. I'd recommend Gob, MxPx, and Sum41 to ya. Yeah -- Blink182 sold out a long time ago. Compare them now to five years ago. They now grace the covers of TEEN PEOPLE, SEVENTEEN, YM, and all those girly junk magazines. Ugh.

5. Samhaine

Samhaine Time To Relax

Yeah, Lagwagon's alright. They were the one part of the show that didn't suck. Plus, their contribution to Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies (I don't know which members are in it, but I know part of them is there) is great. Me First is another great band. I mean, who would ever think you'd hear 'Mandy' in a punk way?

6. mxyzptlk

mxyzptlk Guest

punk

i think the greatest punk bands were the older ones like the misfits and the vandals(the 80s vandals). i also like the clash and the ramones. the new stuff is good but the older stuff is a little better. oh, yeah i also like the sex pistols.

7. joker

joker Rock N' Roll Heart

i cant stand lagwagon. man there aweful. i relly like the misfits and anti-flag. but the punk scene is going way down with blink and all. its almost like they are giving punk a bad name. the old punk like vandals and misfits is really good. i recomend you listen to it. but i never get to goto any good shows cause i live in podunk america where no good bands where play any more. sucks.

8. mxyzptlk

mxyzptlk Guest

lagwagon

joker i would to agree i do not like lagwagon I find them to popy another one of those blink182 clone bands.
    hope i dont affend nobody

9. joker

joker Rock N' Roll Heart

joker was smart enough to steal mxys powers

10. Samhaine

Samhaine Time To Relax

I was into Anti-Flag a few years back, but now, I'm not so sure. They returned to Pittsburgh in February with A New Found Glory and Less Than Jake (two great bands together) and I just wasn't that interested anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I like the music, but I just can't stand the preaching they do every time they preform. And it's the same speeches, over and over again. I can't tell you how many times I've heard them talk about picking someone up when they fall, or how the government sucks. It just gets old.

So yeah, after a couple of years of hearing it, you just want to yell "Shut up and play the music!" I still don't know how they got onto Phat Wreck Chords. And I was amazed that they were on the Warped Tour last year too. A local band hits it big. Too bad it couldn't be one of the better Pittsburgh bands...

11. Samhaine

Samhaine Time To Relax

A weird experience

My roommate was in a KB Toys yesterday, and as he was at the register, the Sailor Moon theme song was playing. The guy at the register said "This song would be cool if it were punk."

My roommate asked "Well, what do you consider punk?"

"Blink 182."

It's a sad, sad day.

12. mxyzptlk

mxyzptlk Guest

antiflag sucks

i hate anti flag

13. joker

joker Rock N' Roll Heart

yeah, it is kinda sad when people say they like punk and their favorite band is jossie and the pussy cats. some times it just makes me want to go crazier! there not even a real band. and blink sucks too. and the rest of their clones like fenix tx and atrias. they just suck. but give anti-flag some credit. even though they have really screwd up views about the government. at least they believe in unity. put you cant deny they are some of the most musicly talented groups out there.

14. mxyzptlk

mxyzptlk Guest

i hate antiflag they suck

they suck they suck they suck they suck they suck they suck they suck they suck they suck they suck they suck they suck they suck they suck they suck

15. The Flash

The Flash Fastest Man Alive

[​IMG] I'm not that into punk but I wouldn't say that I hate it.... I'm more into classic rock...... [​IMG]

16. joker

joker Rock N' Roll Heart

narrow minded and bored mxy?

17. mxyzptlk

mxyzptlk Guest

they suck they suck they suck they suck they suck they suck
    they suck they suck they suck they suck they suck they suck

18. The Flash

The Flash Fastest Man Alive

19. Samhaine

Samhaine Time To Relax

They are, but in a way, you start to get sick of it. Lately, they haven't even really been playing good songs at their shows. I remember when they used to open with their best song, "Davey Destroyed the Punk Scene". Now, they never play it. But they always end with "Die for the Government". Gotta end with that. I'm sick of that song.

20. James

James Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

Actually, I quite enjoy Blink. No, they are nothing mind blowing but they are, IMO, excellent entertainers. Nice to see a punk band that doesn't take themselves so seriously. Not the most skilled band in the world though.... but in my opinion they make up for it in charisma.

I think you'll find that Blink 182 isn't killing punk, but it does keep the industry's interest in the rock/punk genre (if it sells, they're interested!)

Now a true total sell out punk mainstream band is Offspring. But once again, as much as I loathe their one-tune-an-album package they do keep the industry AND the average joe aware of rock/punk's pressence. I'd rather have that than be overun by Boyzone and the Backstreet Boys.

Thanks, but no thanks.
    :D