1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

[PS4] "Kingdom Hearts III" Pre-release Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by River26, Jun 10, 2013.

1. River26

River26 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was really surprised :).

2. Nel_Annette

Nel_Annette Living it up.

It looks freaking gorgeous. @_@

3. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Oh, ENIX. You tease us!

4. River26

Especially with that rollercoaster-esque Magic Thunder Mountain train.

5. Getouttamylab!

Getouttamylab! Was a coiled up attack snake before it was cool

That was really cool for an alpha build!

I guess Hercules is going to be in the game, seeing as how there was the boss battle against one of the Titans from said movie.

6. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Yeah, I'd certainly hope so. The tournament is good fun and I'd like to see that come back yet again. On another fun note, during the skirmish at the beginning it looks as though Sora dual wields absent any transformation for certain attacks. Cool. Wouldn't mind forms coming back though!

7. Ryusuke

Ryusuke SomethingWithTheR

My god, this looks gorgeous. The rides kinda look like they'll be summons.

8. The Huntsman

The Huntsman Friend of Toon Zone

Is anybody else afraid that you're going to be lost in terms of the story? I mean, from what everybody has been saying, things in all of the various handheld releases mattered. There were important characters introduced and all sorts of things. But all I've ever played were the main games. They've been re-releasing the handheld games in HD on the PS3, but not everybody owns a PS3 and that doesn't help people catch back up to the story. It really seems as if the story has become pretty convoluted.

And even then, it feels like it's been a decade since I last played Kingdom Hearts II. I'm not even sure if I remember the story of the games that I did play...

9. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Eh, not really. All you need is a good prologue and some allusions to past events as appropriate and it's possible to cover what anyone needs to know. This goes for the events of Dream Drop Distance too IMO. Yes, it is a bridge between the second and third games, but the end result of it basically amounts to a preview of what's coming in Kingdom Hearts 3 and what the stakes are. The major points connected to the Keyblade War and the Princesses of Heart are pretty basic, missing Dream Drop Distance isn't equivalent to skipping Kingdom Hearts 2 and going straight to 3. Kingdom Hearts 2 had its healthy share of cutscenes to explore what was going on, and I don't doubt this game will be any different.

10. Ryusuke

Ryusuke SomethingWithTheR

You could also probably watch this to put you up to speed (or if you have time, watch all the cutscenes on youtube).
    [video=youtube;xm-NoyqzGkY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm-NoyqzGkY[/video]

11. Ishtar

Ishtar Active Member

Out of the handheld titles, Birth By Sleep and Dream Drop Distance are definitely the most important. Re:Coded is essentially just a filler title that you can definitely do without. Chain of Memories and 358/2 Days really just serve as a bridge between KH1 and KH2, and if you played KH2 just fine without them then you're good.

12. The Huntsman

The Huntsman Friend of Toon Zone

Well, that certainly helped. I don't remember Master Xehanort, but it seems he was only fully revealed in the handheld games.

13. Crimsonshdw

Crimsonshdw Member

Easy fix then, watch some LP's of the games you've missed :p

14. River26

Square Enix axes the Luminous game engine for Epic Games' Unreal Engine 4

15. River26

More details on Kingdom Hearts III

New Kingdom Hearts III footage shown at Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix launch event - Gematsu

16. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

I was encouraged by this article at Playstation Universe from the other day. There's a strong impression from this there will be lots of closure in the third game as opposed to leaving fans hanging on plot points for something else that may or may not happen, which is as it should be. Fans have been waiting for a long time and most definitely long enough.

17. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Tetsuya Nomura confirmed that this would mark the conclusion of the "Xehanort arc", which would mean that there would in fact be closure. I believe he also stated that the series wouldn't end with this game either.

18. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I have a feeling that starting with the game that follows III, we'll get a set of new protagonists, with Sora, Riku, and Kairi becoming "mentor" type characters.

Also, this will make it easier for Haley Joel Osment to voice Sora, assuming that Sora is an adult by then.

19. River26

Kingdom Hearts III will be launching in 2017

http://www.crossmap.com/news/kingdo...square-enix-announced-release-date-2017-16616

20. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

I'm calling shenanigans on that. There is no posting on the official Playstation Blog declaring a 2017 release. All Kingdom Hearts-tagged postings can be viewed here.