1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

[PS4]Final Fantasy VII Remake Announced (Pre-Release & Discussions)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by River26, Jun 15, 2015.

1. River26

River26 Well-Known Member

The remake to the 1997 Final Fantasy VII classic has been announced.

[video=youtube;Kznek1uNVsg]
    [/video]

#1 River26, Jun 15, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  2. GingaDaiuchuu

GingaDaiuchuu Active Member

I can't believe it's actually happening. It's a shame we won't get it until 2030, but it's great news anyway.

3. River26

Well, we're talkin' 2016 at the most.

4. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

I think Final Fantasy VII was released in 1997.

5. River26

Oh yeah, with 96 being the Japanese version.

6. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

According to Wikipedia, Final Fantasy VII was released in (early) 1997 in Japan as well.

7. River26

That's right. 96 was when it was announced via E3, then the next year would have the formal release of the game

8. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

No way this comes out next year given how long SE usually takes to get a game out.

Personally I've never understood the fan's desire to see a remake of 7 but I'm surprised it took this long.

9. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

Related and rather amusing (some language):
    [video=youtube;j1vSYIHlMp8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1vSYIHlMp8[/video]

10. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Bossman is such a nerd :D

11. Pacman7821

Pacman7821 Member

Wow. I can't believe this is actually happening. Even since that one tech demo on PS3 back in... what 05? That showed what a remake FFVII could look like, fans has been asking for a remake ever since. Now, it is finally happening.

12. Grenzer

Grenzer This is Kyokugen Karate... 2016 Style

VII is a classic, but I can't help but feel this is sort of anti-climatic after nearly 20 years. What are they going to do with this anyway? Okay, the graphics will be cutting edge, and you get dozens of hours worth of voice acting (and the cast for that has been assembled for over a decade now and is very comfortable with the characters); but the vastly improved ascetics aside, will the gameplay be any better than the original PS1 version? And another point, Square Enix is a very different company than the Squaresoft that produced the original FFVII. If they don't add anything new, it will be underwhelming, but if they do add things it might undermine the quality and presentation of the original story. I fear they may tamper with elements of the narrative in order to bring it in line with their current (over-produced and pretentious) aesthetics on RPG presentation and in the process kill much of what made FFVII so charming and entertaining back in the day.

On the other hand, I want this to do really well because it might lead to a greater chance of FFVI being remade as well. I would love to see VI get this kind of attention, and I think in many ways it owes itself to a remake even more than VII.

#12 Grenzer, Jun 21, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  13. Pacman7821

Pacman7821 Member

They showed some footage from the game.

Looks pretty. Although, I wonder about the battle system. But it looks like the ATB(was that what it is called?) is present, I think. Mostly because by the party's name seems to be a bar that fills up. And I hope that Square doesn't mess up the battle system as alot of fans will complain if Square messes that up.

Edit: Oops. Apparently, its a overhaul battle system and not the same as the old game.

• Like Like x 1
    #13 Pacman7821, Dec 5, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  14. Zeether

Zeether Victory!

I'm very interested in the game now that there's actual gameplay. The battle system overhaul is pretty neat and it looks like they also added some environmental exploration to the game's areas.

15. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Wow, that looks gorgeous. Day 1 buy for me. Glad to see Cloud and co. back.

16. Scirel

Scirel WHY SO FRIENDSHIP?

I think that a 20th anniversary release would be absolutely perfect in Q1 2017.

17. Pacman7821

Pacman7821 Member

It appears that this remake will be a multi part series? Huh?

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/news/news-17919-The-Final-Fantasy-VII-Remake-to-be-Released-as-a---�Multi-Part--�-Series.html

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/12/07/psx-2015-final-fantasy-7-remake-will-be-a-multi-part-series

I don't get it? Maybe its just me, but I'm kind of worry that Square is maybe trying to milk this remake for all its worth. Like, instead of just buying the full game one time, Square is having it so in order to play the full game you got to buy part 1, part 2, etc. Not sure if I like that.

18. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

I sincerely doubt that's what they mean, but that's just me.

Anyway, when I tried to access the livecast video, it asked me for my birthdate*. Type-0 and XV aside, this isn't going to get an M rating, is it? The original version didn't.

*By comparison, I had no problems accessing the Ratchet and Clank livecast, so the age gate isn't just for the Playstation Experience show as a whole. Also, if this version does get an M rating, it will (retroactively) make Cloud's Kingdom Hearts appearances (along with Aerith and [that game's version of] Cid, for that matter) jarring...

19. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm not buying it if it's episodic. I'll just play the original game. They're trying to milk this for all it's worth, and tbh they waited too long to release it anyway. They had the technology for a sufficient remake back when Advent Children came out.

20. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

Funny how this has gone from highly anticipated to throwaway trainwreck in a matter of weeks. Way to go Square!