1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Prisoner Zero

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Kirben, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Kirben

Kirben Member

Has anyone outside Australia seen Prisoner Zero? Prisoner Zero is well done action/adventure science fiction series produced in Australia, about a group of rebels fighting against the Imperium, who enslave people via linking technology. The series offers interesting characters, an on-going story and manages to tackle many issues (children in war, gay characters) very well. This is the type of cartoon series that is hard to find these days.

Prisoner Zero is rare, in that it was completely produced in Australia, and offers an on-going story (rare for Australian cartoon series). The series was produced by Planet 55 Studios who produced the animation for a few missing Doctor Who episodes (The Moonbase, The Tenth Planet) in the past. The only downside is the animation is rather limited at times, due to budget reasons I expect.

The trailer can be watched via Planet 55 Studios web site, but I don't think there is currently any way to stream the series outside Australia. The series was released over three DVDs in Australia though, if anyone is interested in importing the series.

• Like Like x 1
  2. HORNS1968CE

HORNS1968CE THE LAST MAJOR

Thanks, Person! I've long been a suckor for animated works produced/made entirely in one land.
    I've just seen the trailer; for what it is, Prisoner Zero is quite good; it's not only redolent of animé, it's also redolent of the maximalist 1980s character design aesthetic.

I am an USer, by the way; the trailer is the only way I've seen PZ. Now I'ma conclude by saying something rather stupid: nearly 50 years ago, in 1973, the 2d season of The New Scooby-Doo Movies was perpetrated in Australia. Have you heard of the comicbook Scooby Apocalypse? It'll never happen, but: what, given the SD muthos' Australian past, if Planet 55 Studios either askt for/\was given the rights to produce/make some sort of adaption of SA?

3. Kirben

Kirben Member

Unfortunately the Australian branches of major studios (i.e. Disney) closed long ago, so I doubt they would out source any work to Australia anymore. Transformers: Rescue Bots is the last major cartoon series I can recall, which had production work in Australia. Most Australian cartoon series are actually co-productions with various overseas companies, I'm not sure how much work actually get produced in Australia.

4. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

This looks awesome. I hope it will come to Belgium and the Netherlands!

I don't think that many Australian cartoons aired here. The only ones I can think of are The Deep, Blinky Bill, Tabaluga, DogStar, I Got a Rocket, SheZow, Sally Bollywood, H2O Mermaid Adventures, Zigby, Get Ace and Yakkity Yak.

We got a lot more Australian live-action series. (like Round the Twist etc. too many to count)

EDIT: Here are some other videos.

(Oooh I like Australian accents :) ABC = èy bèy cèy :D )

#4 Red Arrow :D, Aug 15, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  5. Kirben

Kirben Member

The voice recording was actually done at The Moat Studios in the UK, so not sure if there are any Australian voice actors.

Also a few interviews about the production, which people might find interesting:
    Interview at Film Ink.
    Interview at Girl Magazine.

• Like Like x 1
  6. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

I just started watching this series a few days ago and I have to agree with you that this series is really good. The story is really good and the art is really good. The animation is the only week spot (due to the show having a low budget) and is inconsistent. Sometimes the animation is really good and sometimes it's bad. However, the nice art helps mask the flaws in the animation and makes the animation look far better then some other animated action/adventure shows that I've seen with bigger budgets.