1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Print quality on the Looney Tunes Golden Collection

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by Uncle Scrooge, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Uncle Scrooge

Uncle Scrooge Member

I recently bought the big box set of Golden collection. While most are of good quality it really stands out when they are not. Particularly dust on the frames which seems to be present and changing throughout some of the shorts. I've watched the first 3 discs and so far "Baseball Bugs", "Dough for the Do-Do" and "Fridgid Hare" are pretty bad quality. But the worst offender of all is "Scaredy Cat" on disc 2 which looks terrible.
    Has anyone else noticed this or know why it's so bad?

Does the problem continue on the other volumes?
    The Tom and Jerry DVDs are pretty impressive, Scaredy Cat is one of the worst quality things I've watched on a DVD

2. Erased Paper

Erased Paper Member

This happened a lot with cel animated cartoons, even when they were new. Though, maybe not at the level that you are complaining about.

3. Uncle Scrooge

Uncle Scrooge Member

I have noticed similar grain on Batman the Animated Series, which leads me to believe that WB doesn't have a proper clean up process

4. NewBogus :)

NewBogus :) Plastic Duck Saves the World

Most of GCV1 cartoons such as "Dough for the Do-Do", "Scaredy Cat", "Kit for Cat" were restored in 1997, not in 2003, so you think that they are looking very bad. Scaredy Cat was re-restored 8 years later due to the Platinum Collection Volume 1. Baseball Bugs in my opinion in Golden Collection looks even worse than in Platinum Collection, but better than the 1995 Turner print.

5. Cool_Cat

Cool_Cat Active Member

My issue was in the GC 2 they altered all the fade outs and overblew the color saturation.

They also used audio tracks from older prints and cranked the noise reduction to max. They even applied a very aggressive noise gate on shorts like Rhapsody Rabbit which just ruined the audio track.

6. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

That's not "grain", its video noise. Although Batman the Animated Series was animated on 35mm film, the final edit and mastering was done on a 1" analog videotape telecine like most late 80's-early 2000's animated (and live action for that matter) television. To get rid of it properly, would mean having to rescan all the original episodes from scratch.

7. Cool_Cat

Cool_Cat Active Member

If you mean dot crawling/rainbow effects, that happens on older prints, usually back in the 80s. I do not have any knowledge about video formats for that matter, but I can tell you they come from a Composite video.

[​IMG]

To be honest it's not really distracting as far the transfer looks good. For an example all post 48 shorts look great even when unrestored (some better because they don't have the overblown colors in the GC, like One Froggy Evening).

8. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

there are some noticeable scratches on volume 1 of the Golden Collection

I do have disc 3-4 of the golden collection volume 1

kit for cat is the worst quality of the 28 shorts i own, but its not bad of a quality and the blue ribbon ending makes it worse. Oh cmon WB why no restored BR ending

I think they are all pretty good.