1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Primary Election 2008 Talkback (Please Read Rules Before Posting!)

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by Zach Logan, Nov 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ishtar

Ishtar Active Member

What I find odd is that CNN.com hasn't updated their delegates results based on what was shown on TV earlier. I still see the results that were up before the meeting, Obama with 1,984, Hillary with 1,783, and the goalpost being 2,026.

2. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

MSNBC's First Read has the updates. They have even figured the superdelegates out of the two states from I assume previous endorsements when they had no actual vote.

By that count it is in total:
    Obama: 2,055.5
    Clinton: 1,880
    Needed: 2,118

3. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

So if predictions hold true and Obama nets about 38 combined from PR, Montana, and South Dakota, all he needs and now apparently his camp is pushing for is 22-25 proclaimed SDs by Tuesday morning to clinch.

4. The Avatar

The Avatar Not a member of the Fourm.

Well, her last excuse for staying in the race after the primaries are done has gone. Now they've got a fair solution, which was the exact same solution that the GOP used, and probably should have been used from the beginning. I think that she'll probably suspend her campaign and endorse Obama after the primaries are done. I don't think it would be a good idea to stay until the convention. Simply because, if she stays until the convention and cripples Obama's campaign, then the Clinton name will basically become dirt in the party. If she ruins the party's chances in a year that was supposed to be a lock for the Democrats, then there is no way she's going to have the support to run in 2012, or ever for that matter. As is, I think at this point running for president in another race is not what she's aiming for. I think she's looking for another way to advance her political future. She could try aiming for Vice President (but I don't think that'd be a good choice for Obama). There's also been some rumors (albeit unlikely) that she would like the job of Supreme Court Justice. She could simply advance her future through her senate seat, like Ted Kennedy, Hubert Humphrey and Barry Goldwater did. There are also rumors that she might try to run for Governor of New York if David Patterson doesn't chose to run. Of course, a lot of this talk is simply speculation, so I don't really know.

5. Wounded_Dragon

Wounded_Dragon Active Member

Her supporters, particularly Ickles, are still keen on dragging this out, to the convention if needs be. I'm not sure even she can stop them at this point.

6. Ishtar

Ishtar Active Member

I see it as they won't admit defeat untilll Hillary does herself. They plan to push for Hillary's nomination no matter what, otherwise. I'm interested in what she'll say in her next speech, which will probably be her Puerto Rico victory speech, since the Florida/Michigan decision has been made.

7. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Politico, through Ben Smith's blog, has a report that may mean things will be ending much sooner rather than later.

8. Beat

Beat Retired

I think on Tuesday, since her trump card failed, she will concede the nomination to Obama. Whether she sinks into the background or agressively pushes for VP is another issue altogether.

9. Wounded_Dragon

Either way, it's clear she won't need as much staff for any of her realistic options. Time to tighten the pursestrings...actually, it's past time, but whatever. :sweat:

10. J'onn J'onzz

J'onn J'onzz Best Male Member '08

I think she may have just been sticking around through the primary season just because she's so stubborn... but if she doesn't win, like, 80% of the voters in both Montana and South Dakota (which will probably be red in the general election anyway), I bet she'll drop out tomorrow.

11. The Avatar

If Clinton is going to suspend her campaign as she's rumored to do tomorrow, it looks like she's going to get to go out on a high note. A recent poll in South Dakota shows that she had has a massive lead over Barack Obama, about the same as she had in the polls in Puerto Rico. However, Obama is still leading in Montana, although his lead has narrowed to single digits.

12. The Guitar Slayer

The Guitar Slayer 1965 to Eternity

Well, breaking news on BBC world says that Hilary is to concede the delegate race to Obama, but she's only going to "suspend" her campaign until the Democratic Convention....

Hillary, don't be stupid ><

13. Beat

Beat Retired

Why do I see her showing up to the DNC in August, WWE style with entourage to argue?

The quote that sums up everyone's annoyance with Hillary.

#933 Beat, Jun 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2008
  14. Ishtar

Ishtar Active Member

Well, according to CNN, Hillary is open to the Vice President slot, if she does not get the nomination, which she most likely will not get.

15. The Avatar

By the latest count, Obama is only 11 delegates from the nomination. By this count, it's looking likely that he will be the presumptive nominee officially tonight after the results from Montana and South Dakota come in. Even if he doesn't, he will gain the superdelegates in 3 days, tops. This is it, she has NO further reason to stay in. Also, former President Carter is planning to endorse Obama tonight.

I think the reason that Clinton is not dropping out and planning to only suspend her campaign is that she wants some leverage on a place on Obama ticket or administration. Her campaign said today that she would still be open to taking the VP spot on an Obama ticket.

16. Ishtar

Ishtar Active Member

Actually, according to CNN, he only needs 6 more delegates. He currently has 2,112 delegates. The superdelegates are voting fast today.

17. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

The counting of superdelegates differs from news org to news org. According the AP, Obama already has the delegates. I watch MSNBC (they say Obama has 11 to go) and their political team has discussed that they don't count a super until they are fully declared in favor of a candidate (AP counts some privately declared supers). I can't speak for CNN or anyone else though.

Be it 6, 11 or something else, Obama is likely to pick up the Montana governor and both senators after the polls close. All three has declared to support the winner of their state which is expected to be Obama. South Dakota's Democratic senator and congresswoman have already endorsed Obama.

18. Ishtar

Ishtar Active Member

Obama has clinched the Democratic nomination!

19. Wounded_Dragon

I'm surprised Hillary didn't break down.

20. Ishtar

Ishtar Active Member

And...she still refuses to drop out. :sweat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.