"Previously On X-Men" Book (Making Of TAS)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by FlawedCoil82, Nov 1, 2017.

1. FlawedCoil82

FlawedCoil82 Member

I didn't see a thread devoted to this upcoming book that tells the whole story into how this legendary 90's animated series came into existence. The book is written by Eric Lewald, one of the masterminds behind this iconic series. It also features interviews with several cast members, producers and others who helped in making the X-Men a household name and for many was the introduction into this once amazing franchise. "Previously On X-Men: The Making Of An Animated Series" will be released this month, just shortly after the series' 25th anniversary. The book can currently be pre-ordered from the publisher's webstore. It should be a fascinating read for any fans of X-Men: The Animated Series!

Pre-order your copy here (it will be available at other retailers later).
    http://www.jacobsbrownmediagroup.com/previously-on-x-men.html

• Like Like x 3
    #1 FlawedCoil82, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  2. nappy

nappy New Member

I always wondered what the cast and crew of the X-Men TAS series thought of X-Men Evolution. Do you the book will shed light on that?

Has the team behind X-Men TAS ever publicly expressed their thoughts and opinions on X-Men:Evolution?

#2 nappy, Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  3. FlawedCoil82

FlawedCoil82 Member

I am honestly not sure. I haven't read the book yet myself. I did submit a testimonial to be shared within the book and I seem to recall that I mentioned XME at some point, but I have no idea if they are only including certain parts of my testimony or the whole thing. I suppose that it is possible that "X-Men: Evolution" will be mentioned by one of the actual cast/production members but I am thinking that (if they do) they can't go into great detail on it since they didn't play a role in that series and may not have the rights to discuss it (even Marvel reportedly wouldn't help them with the book). However, that is only a guess on my part.

• Like Like x 1
  4. FlawedCoil82

FlawedCoil82 Member

5. Freddy

Freddy Active Member

Is honestly really cool that this book exists. When compared to other popular cartoons, it isn't too easy to find reliable behind-the-scenes information/stories about Marvel shows. John Semper has done plenty of interviews where he talks about Spider-Man TAS and Weisman does occasionally answer fan-questions regarding SSM (as long as you don't want to know what would have happened in Season 3 and/or onward) on his blog, but I don't think that there's anything as in-depth as this.

I have to order this someday.

• Like Like x 1
  6. FlawedCoil82

FlawedCoil82 Member

I haven't received my copy yet but I am definitely looking forward to it. Marvel apparently didn't want this book to happen (due to their ongoing deliberate suppression of the X-franchise) and didn't want to help in any way. But thankfully the powers that be fought for it. I will say, however (while doubtful), that IF Marvel decides to go after this book, they may try to shut it down. So I would just caution you and anyone else who may be wanting it to perhaps not wait too long, as you never know what lengths Marvel is willing to go to to keep the X-Men in the background. :sweat:

7. nappy

nappy New Member

Interesting. Why is Marvel going off on X-Men?
    I mean they now have a problem with just a book being released about X-Men?

8. FlawedCoil82

FlawedCoil82 Member

I am not sure of the exact reasoning (that was only a guess) but I know they wouldn't help with the book and they even reportedly told Eric and the publisher that they were not allowed to use screen captures from actual episodes inside the book.

9. FlawedCoil82

FlawedCoil82 Member

I am still not far into the book yet but I did read my testimonial and several sections (understandably) didn't make it into the book, including where I seem to recall mentioning "X-Men: Evolution". But it may still be mentioned elsewhere in the book.

As far as the parts of my testimonial they kept and published, the only thing they changed for some reason is when I said my first exposure to the X-Men was "X-Men" #1. Unfortunately, the editor mistakenly thought I meant "Giant Size X-Men" #1 (from 1975). :sweat: So I guess I should have specified that I meant the 1991 book that the show's aesthetic was based on. Either way, I let them know about the error and they said they would correct it IF the book gets a 2nd print run.