Pre-empted TV shows

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by Kung-Fu Yoshi, May 13, 2014.

1. Kung-Fu Yoshi

Kung-Fu Yoshi Hi

Have you ever really wanted to watch something, but it wasn't shown because of sports or funerals or what-not?

Tell me, please!

2. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Active Member

I think that happened once this TV season to me. They pre-empted America's Funniest Videos for something. Later on when they did their $100K show I saw a finalist that I did not remember seeing (actually I saw two, but I knew for certain there was an episode I missed).

3. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 God Bless America!

I know Peter Paltridge had Believe preempted for a month.

4. RandomMe

RandomMe Stave it off

From what I remember, SIC pre-empted their most-watched telenovela because they had to do an analysis of a Europa League match.

5. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

Indeed. And now it's gone.

6. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

Put "Any Fox Show that aired at 7/6 central during Football season" here.

7. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

I wanted to catch a second showing of a Power Rangers episode after missing it on its initial airing. Then, something involving the president aired over it, as well as an episode of The Adventures of Batman and Robin. Yeah, I was ticked.

I also missed a Saturday morning-showing of a Power Rangers episode in 2001 because they kept showing 9/11 material nonstop for about six days. I did, however, get to catch it the week after on Monday since Fox Kids showed a repeat of it.

8. RandomMe

RandomMe Stave it off

One time in 2003 I woke up and SIC was airing breaking news on the Iraq War instead of cartoons...

9. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!

MacGyver was the lead in for Monday Night Football. Not a bad schedule, right? Except that MacGyver was was always preempted for the local coach show. And at the time we had a losing team with a coach no one would have liked even if he was winning. That was only half an hour, mercifully (especially for the coach), so they filled in the previous half hour with syndicated programing, like "Small Wonder." ARRRRRRG! I didn't care for football back then, and that wasn't helping.
    MacGyver was given a nice alternative slot, like 3PM Saturday afternoon. Or maybe it was 5PM Sunday.

People forget how much bitterness Futurama fans had towards Family Guy. Family Guy had the premo spot they thought Futurama deserved and to really make it something to gripe about Futurama kept getting preempted due to football. It's all the fault of FOX for setting up a completely predictable scheduling disaster.

10. PC!

PC! lolwut?

Y'know, I'd be perfectly fine with them pre-empting football with a new Simpsons episode for a change.

11. Getouttamylab!

Getouttamylab! Truth-seekers wanted

That actually happened to me once with the same show, but in this case an emergency news report about tornado-producing thunderstorms which lasted about two hours was to blame here.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2014
  12. musicntoons15

musicntoons15 New Member

America's Most Wanted on Fox during Nascar season. Then they moved it to Lifetime, and now I guess it's cancelled because I haven't seen it on in a really long time

13. Kung-Fu Yoshi

Kung-Fu Yoshi Hi

That reminds me -- one time on WWOR, they scheduled a baseball game, but it got rained out. It was supposed to pre-empt regular programming including a Simpsons rerun at 7 - when the game was gonna start.

They showed the farting Homer treehouse of horror episode.

14. BartWinkle

BartWinkle Active Member

Back in 1982 NBC ran two back-to-back specials, one featuring bloopers and another featuring classic commercials, but our local affiliate pre-empted them for a movie titled "The Great Waldo Pepper". I was so bitter I wrote a letter, but didn't get a response.

15. Dantheman

Dantheman Active Member

As much as I kinda agree with you, there's a reason the networks don't do that: The Heidi Game.

look it up on Wikipedia, and you'll see why sporting events are aired to completion.

16. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

Couldnt they just air the game in a split-screen, with the game (sans audio of course) on one side of the screen, and the episode on the other side of the screen? It would satisfy both parties.

17. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

More like it'd anger both of them.

We have the technology now to broadcast two feeds simultaneously -- one for the game and one for regular programming. Possibly, they could air one on a subchannel. Networks don't own their own subchannels, though. Yet.