1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

pre-1948, Sunset, or post-1948 cartoons?

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by Kevin Mo, Oct 11, 2016.

?

pre-1948, post-1948 or Sunset cartoons

1. pre-1948 (former Turner package)

2. post-1948 (WB package from 1948-69)

3. Sunset (BW cartoons from 1930-1943, excludes the MM from Harman. excludes the first Merrie Melody

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

I've always wondered, which one you liked best.

Also, why did WB separate their cartoons based off 1948, they should have split based after the Schlesinger era.

If that happened, then everything would be Sunset: BW
    AAP: pre-Goldilocks and the Jivin' Bears (if this happened, Golidlocks and the Jivin' bears wouldn't be in the censored 11, which it shouldn't be anyways) (All the cartoons in the censored 11 are not offensive in any way. They just used different types of faces, which people seem to take too literally)
    post-1944: post-Buckaroo Bugs

Would this be a good alternate package, if this ever happened in time?

2. Steve Burstein

My favorites would be the pre-48 cartoons with caricatures of Movie Stars. The reason A.A.P. bought the cartoons up to 1948 was because that year had a significance regarding the Screen Actors Guild. It was the same reason that the AAP purchase of live action Warner films went to (roughly) '48, and MCA's purchase of Paramount films did likewise. Think C&C and RKO films was the same deal, not sure.

3. Steve Burstein

My favorites would be the pre-48 cartoons with caricatures of Movie Stars. The reason A.A.P. bought the cartoons up to 1948 was because that year had a significance regarding the Screen Actors Guild. It was the same reason that the AAP purchase of live action Warner films went to (roughly) '48, and MCA's purchase of Paramount films did likewise. Think C&C and RKO films was the same deal, not sure.

4. MTGM

MTGM Member

Such a tough decision.

5. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

I also wonder why WB only gave them 16mm prints and not the original negatives themselves. It makes no sense that if WB has the original negative, they could just sell the cartoons in restored print. Turner could have done these himself if the original negatives were present.

Why? I mean I love both packages the bw, not so much. Porky was too tedious in the cartoons back then.

The pre-1948 cartoons were filled with music, classic animation. Loads of fun, except for the 1931-33 and 1934-35 Merrie Melodies, I found those dull and a waste of time for AAP to buy those.

The post-1948 had some of the best cartoons in cartoon history. Bugs, Daffy, Sylvester, Tweety, Elmer, Porky, Foghorn Leghorn, Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote, made it happen.

#5 Kevin Mo, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  6. Steve Burstein

AAP and then UA DID have 35MM materials on the cartoons, but they were housed in Japan! The 31-33 Melodies simply came with the package. Guild Films bought the 34-35 Melodies, not AAP.

7. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

Well but I never mentioned the Sunset package. The 1931-33 are part of the turner package.