1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Powerless" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Penguin, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

4/28: Patrick Schumacker replied they haven't been informed yet of an official cancellation and revealed there were only 2 episodes left and it involves LexCorp and Lex Luthor trying to destroy the world, the team tries to stop him, 5 episodes worth of FX crammed into them.

5/5: Being reported Powerless is officially cancelled along with many others.

2. Eldorado

Eldorado Active Member

I still believe that Powerless can get a 2nd chance at DC's new Digital Service.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

I also saw somewhere that remaining episodes were pulled.

I'm glad the show got canceled, only because this is the first "failure/disappointment" of the "let's incorporate Batman into this" or "this works Batman, so we'll do that for this as well" mandate that WB has for anything having to do with DC comics. I had a mild interest in watching the show back when the first footage was released. After the news that they tweaked the show to tie in to Batman, I wanted nothing at all to do with Powerless.

All that said, if Powerless needed a ratings boost. They could have just (you guessed it) had Batman appear in an episode.

4. Volthoom

Volthoom Member

The insurance company thing got dropped because it was too similar to something Marvel had.

5. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

Honestly, I think the first version was changed because it bombed with test screenings. It wasn't really that similar to Marvel's Damage Control, which handles clean-up after super-hero battles, not insurance.

#65 Otaku-sempai, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 9, 2017
  6. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Which, I think, would be their Damage Control concept.

7. Eldorado

Eldorado Active Member

Technically he was in a scene off-screen saving the Ron, Teddy, and Van from a thug and to retrieve his Batarang.

Anyway, I'm not giving up on this series. I truly believe that it has a place on DC's new Digital Service next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

The show doesn't look too expensive (unlike Gotham). So I would imagine that it's a possibility.

9. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm very intrigued at your thoughts here. Is this based on something you had read/experienced or your theory as to why it was changed?

I ask, because I was quite interested in this post: The best version of NBC’s Powerless is one most people will never see and its 'companion piece' Powerless review: a perfect example of how not to make a television show. While just one person's opinion (two in the initial pilot review). I find I pretty much agree with the review of the show as we saw it and really wonder what this other version would have been like.

The show isn't horrid, but if you remove the superhero element (which would not be that hard for most of the show), I wouldn't have watched all the episodes/be disappointed we might never see the last few. That alone makes me want to know what this other Powerless was like. It reads like a show I'd like to watch, instead, quoting the second article, we got this...

10. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

5/15: I actually do remember reading one or two very critical reactions to the original pilot for Powerless before the concept was reworked, which only really proves that nothing appeals to every taste. However, those responses did illustrate why the pilot was re-shot with major changes. Whether those changes were for the better or the worse is certainly a matter of opinion.

6/16: Powerless: DC Releases Unaired Episode Featuring Adam West

The penultimate episode of Powerless will be streaming for a limited time.

Even so, it was great seeing Mr. West one last time.

• Like Like x 1
    #70 Otaku-sempai, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2017