1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Powerless" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Penguin, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Eldorado

Eldorado Active Member

NOT EVEN CLOSE!!

2. Volthoom

Volthoom Member

Or is Doctor Psycho the hypno therapist who has dwarfism?

3. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

More or less.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

This is NOT the episode that aired. NBC made a last minute switch and aired "Van V. Emily: Dawn of Justice", which introduced Green Fury (Fire to 80's & 90's Justice League fans) to the series.

Van is quickly becoming less and less likeable. Too vain for his own good, and makes Emily look bad in the process. Teddy's crushing on Green Fury, which makes things awkward for his girlfriend.

Quick note on Green Fury. The character was introduced in Super Friends 42 in 1980, and returned in the series finale 5 months later. I think it was Keith Giffen and/or J. Marc DeMatteis who renamed her Fire, but the writers on this show used her original name for obvious reasons, though she retains her later look.

Current events in Syria prompted the late switcheroo, and, given the tenuous ratings status, I doubt that "Emergency Punch-Up" will air at all.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Understandable, but with this episode, the parables with Emily and Van is wearing thin on me.

Green Fury and Olympian scenes were hilarious though.

6. hobbyfan

Agreed. That's gotten to be too much of the focus on the show, and I think, more than anything, that this would be part of the reason Powerless doesn't get renewed.

7. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]
    "Green Furious"
    Thursday, April 13, 2017 @ 8:30 p.m. ET/7:30 CT on NBC
    Emily has her first board meeting and must deliver on a big idea with the help of Green Fury.

8. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

Green Fury might just save this show (at least for my personal enjoyment, it's probably actually beyond saving). While they have still had their iffy moments, these last two episodes have probably been the best two.

Overall, Van is too much of a jerk to be entertaining for me, but I actually quite enjoyed the Green Arrow archery face-off. Van had some frustrating moments here, but Jackie revealing to Emily how they protected Van's feelings/themselves for years worked for me. Van is still horrible, but this humanized him somehow.

It's tough not to smile at the the name dropping and implied cameos. This was best displayed in "Emily Dates a Henchman" (once it finally aired). It's easy to see how Emily could look past Dan/Robert Buckley's evilness.

It was fun seeing Corbin Bernsen as Van's dad. Ron Funches is always great, but most of the rest I could take or leave (probably leave). I like Danny Pudi, but Teddy was a jerk this week and last and not in a charming way.

I went back and edited it. I hadn't watched that episode yet when I posted it so I didn't know about the change.

9. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I also really enjoyed Green Fury. Hope she keeps appearing. The commercial was hilarious. The disclaimer the poncho didn't work against magic or rain was the cherry on top.

That skinny guy who crushed on Green Fury and his can't find love arc is getting irritating.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. hobbyfan

A few more factoids on Green Fury:

She actually made her Super Friends debut prior to issue 42, contrary to my note of last week. It was an issue I didn't have where she'd debuted, but this much I do know.

In the context of that series, Beatriz Da Costa was the head of Wayne Enterprises' Brazilian branch. Following Crisis on Infinite Earths, her ties to Wayne were removed, and she was rebooted as a model/secret agent. The outfit she wears on Powerless is her late 80's garb.

The tabloid Newstime also existed in the DCU, mostly in the Superman books of the late 80's-early 90's. It was originally posited as a knock-off of Newsweek, based on general design, IIRC. Just not sure about today's DCU.

Meanwhile......

Teddy's obsession with Green Fury may have just gotten killed off, as was any credibility Green Fury & Olympian had left. Sad. If they really wanted the two Global Guardians to be used as comedy relief, they should've brought in Giffen and DeMatteis as story editors. BTW, the producers have their Jack O'Lanterns mixed up. Jack was only a villain at DC under the thrall of Queen Bee. He's otherwise been a hero and a member of the Global Guardians. There was an evil Jack over at Marvel at one time, who later was replaced by Hobgoblin.

• Informative Informative x 3
  11. The Penguin

Staff Member Moderator

It didn't air a few weeks ago, but tonight, Dr. Psycho attacks Charm City!

[​IMG]
    "Emergency Punch-Up"
    Thursday, April 20, 2017 @ 8:30 p.m. ET/7:30 CT on NBC
    The team gears up to leave for a retreat when Dr. Psycho releases a toxic gas in Charm City.

12. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

This was actually a pretty good episode aside from the cheesy last scene. Thought it was amusing they did a version of that criminal show with Dr. Psycho. The photos from the retreat were hilarious. Got a smidge dark but still funny when that one woman talked about eating Van if they were stranded on a desert island and his reaction.

13. BlackoutCreature

BlackoutCreature Well-Known Member

So I just watched "Green Furious". I haven't really been feeling this show in general, and this episode wasn't much better. But I did like Green Fury, and thought she and Amanda Hudgens had surprisingly good chemistry together. I'd honestly drop the rest of the cast and make the show about those two.

14. Volthoom

Volthoom Member

Is there a reason they chose to go with Green Fury and not her name in the comics(Fire)?

15. hobbyfan

I think the reasons are obvious. A hero named Fire isn't going to play well with certain media focus groups riddled with hypersensitivity (I'm looking at you, PTC). It was Keith Giffen & JM DeMatteis who rechristened her Fire about 30 years ago to play off the whole Fire & Ice thing since Icemaiden's name was shortened.

16. Eldorado

Eldorado Active Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Road to Gotham

Road to Gotham Well-Known Member

No big loss. It wasn't a very good series. :eek:
    Too bad we will miss the Adam West episode. :(
    I did like the actress for GREEN FURY.

18. Volthoom

Volthoom Member

DC is making their own digital streaming service, so they will probably have it there.

19. hobbyfan

They will likely burn off the remaining episodes (5?) over the summer.

20. hobbyfan

Just watched "Emergency Punch-Up" On Demand.

Too bad all we get of Dr. Psycho was a photo. I think teases and bait & switch deals like that are part of the reason the show is being cancelled. As I noted in my last post, the remaining eps will likely be burned off around July-August, so they can get around to pimping the inevitable DVD release.