Power Rangers Samurai to be released on DVD, Blu Ray, & Digitally by Lionsgate

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by bigddan11, Mar 22, 2012.

1. bigddan11

bigddan11 Justice must be served!

Lionsgate announced today they have acquired the release rights to release Power Rangers Samurai. They will release it on DVD, Blu ray, and digitally. The first two volumes have been announced with a June 19 release with the names "The Team Unites" and " A New Enemy." The rights include not only the TV series but also the Halloween special, Christmas Special, and Clash of the Red Rangers movie.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2012/03/22/lionsgate-to-distribute-power-rangers-samurai

2. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi Reporter

This is good news. The new series has good production values and since it is shot widescreen and in high definition I'm glad it will be available on Blu-ray. Lionsgate usually does a good job with home video so I imagine these will be good releases. Hopefully they can do the next Power Rangers series as well.

3. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

That explains why Shout did not get Samurai but it is rather odd for Power Rangers DVDs to be coming from two distributors at the same time when one surely would have sufficed. Well that's business for you.

4. TheVileOne

Probably just some logistical stuff. The thing is, I imagine all the shows are basically their own license like Dragon Ball from DBZ and DBZ from GT. So it's a separate license for a distributor to bid on. Samurai is the new show and the new hot ticket right now and probably fits better with Lionsgate Home Entertainment while the old shows have more of a nostalgia factor which I guess makes them a better fit with Shout Factory. Though I recall that I think Lionsgate does distribute the original Ninja Turtles series on DVD.

5. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

They do indeed and they distributed Speed Racer as well. Ninja Turtles was inherited from Family Home Entertainment which had the home video rights when the series first hit the airwaves. It's a remarkably long standing license when you think about it. Lionsgate isn't bad at releasing old shows per say but their TMNT sets are quite bare bones and Shout Factory probably could have done more with TMNT than they did so I'm glad they got Power Rangers but I'm concerned that they are getting to the point of having perhaps too many big franchises with their deal with Hasbro and such. Lionsgate has perhaps less on it's plate at least regarding releasing old series on DVD but Shout is known for that so it makes sense to sell them the rights to the previous Power Rangers seasons.

At any rate, Samurai is in good hands. Hopefully they do season sets and not just the singles they already have planned. They will probably do the same release plan as they did with Wolverine and the X-Men. Starting with singles and later releasing a full season set. A full season set seems like the only way they'd release the show on Blu-Ray because for the purposes of giving parents something to buy their kid DVD is probably preferred but maybe that will change soon. BDs can be sold remarkably cheap these days.

6. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

I notice that the volumes are starting on "The Team Unites" rather than "Origins"...

I really don't see the point in doing that on the home releases.

7. TheVileOne

I would like it to start with Origin as well and keep it as close to Shinkenger as possible. But that being said, not all shows start with the origin episodes. Sometimes they don't come until later in a show's run.

8. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

Yeah you'd think that they would start off with "Origins" since it has since been aired. I guess they're going to go by the order in which they premiered. Even in production, both the episodes are #19 and #20.

9. Dogbert

Dogbert I Don't See Gravity

No, Origins Part 1 and Origins Part 2 were the first and second episodes produced. In addition to the story narrative clearly intending for these to go first (even beyond chronology alone) and the actors and acting skills placing these earlier, the three-episode block production schedule was an indication of these episodes being produced with The Team Unites. By production order, chronology and narrative, they belong first. Only by network airing order would they be placed anywhere else.

10. Storm Eagle

They should be the first two chronologically. Despite that though, I saw someone state that even Saban themselves put them in the #19 and #20 spots. You don't know about him, but he posted about this at a board and he has proven to have some rather good sources. It's sad, yet true.

I know that they were also the first two filmed, but what you said about acting skills being a factor made me think of something. See, one of my friends checked out "The Team Unites" but didn't really bother following up after that because of the acting. She did watch "Origins part 1" when I showed it to her though, and she thought that the Origins episodes were filmed later since she thought the actors seemed to have a better handle on their acting in the episode.

11. Storm Eagle

12. VladDraculi

VladDraculi New Member

Super Samurai? I thought it was just Samurai?

13. Storm Eagle

Power Rangers Samurai is the first 20 episodes from last year, as well as the Halloween and Christmas specials, and the "movie". This year, it's Power Rangers Super Samurai with the next 20 episodes (which will also have two holiday specials), and that's what's going to be released as a whole set, though most likely without the two holiday specials.

14. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

It is somewhat odd that they release a season set of Super Samurai before a season set of Samurai, but it does make sense. Hopefully they go back and do the same with Samurai at some point.

(And releasing "Clash of the Red Rangers" on Blu-Ray/DVD would be nice...)

15. Storm Eagle

16. VladDraculi

VladDraculi New Member

Uh... I won't touch Super Samurai until Samurai is out.