1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Power Rangers Samurai" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by veemonjosh, Feb 7, 2011.

1. PC!

PC! lolwut?

The plot is definitely starting to pick up, and I'm definitely glad to see it. I knew they could only show semblances of a plot for so long.

Wonder why Saban didn't bother giving their Octaroo mask a few more tentacles over the mouth so it wouldn't be glaringly obvious something was different.

2. HEATXZ

HEATXZ Duck Knght

Great episode :anime:
    The Bulk and Spike scene was funny XD
    I hoping for them to use the black box but i guess they are saving it for another episode

3. Poweranimals

Poweranimals Invincible

Wait... What just happened? Oh that's right. Nothing.

Definitely a step down from last week. After all of the build up from the previous episode, everything just kinda fizzles. Deker just lets Jayden go after doing nothing AgAiN? The Black Box gets thrown to the sidelines.. and after the big gigantic fight which includes a powerful new attack, the MOTW just runs away without a scratch.

The Rangers are bed ridden again?! I honestly think they're doing overkill with the battle damage. It makes the Rangers appear weak and fragile.

The Bulk and Spike scenes are kind of underwhelming. They're not really funny and rarely go anywhere. The scene that had the granny jumping and running across the street came off as overly cheesy. How many times can they say they're going to save the day and run away from a fight and have it not get old? I know Bulk and Skull's humor usually wasn't that rewarding either but still...

I also thought it was stupid that Xandred lectured Octoroo for actually thinking which nearly succeeded in destroying four of the Rangers before Xandred pulled the MOTW out of battle. "Thinking only gives us headaches." Well I guess that explains Tzachor's reasoning.

Like I said, it was a step down, but I did enjoy a few things. The scenes in the cave between Jayden and Deker were good. I liked how Jayden tried to convice Deker that he always has a choice and it even effected his decision later to join the rest of the group. Antonio was decent enough in his scenes as well. Everyone else was kinda painful to watch.

I also for once really enjoyed the fight scenes. (Zord battles excluded) It seemed like they actually put some effort into doing some choreography. Hopefully we get to see more of that in the future. The attack Antonio did that combined the others attacks was pretty nice looking as well.

Overall, it was pretty anti-climatic but better than most episodes this season. 3/5.

4. bigddan11

bigddan11 Justice must be served!

I was a bit disappointed in this episode. Yes, I knew they weren't going to go through the Jayden/ Deker fight (which I thought would take place in episode 18 or 20 since that is the midseason point and since it matches up if they continue following Shinkenger's script without jumping over more episodes- depending on when they go back to air the true first two episodes), but now they are intentionally stalling the series by forcing this to be a 3-part episode instead of 2. They finish the black box in two episodes of Shinkenger, and
    Now, because they didn't destroy the monster in this episode, it looks like they will have to go back and push out a third part to finish him off. If you ask me, it looked like they were looking for an excuse to use the Megazord footage from the Kamen Rider Decade crossover Shinkenger has, which they did at the end of this episode.

After having an episode with no Bulk and Spike scenes, we get three of them this week. I'll admit two of the three scenes were funny, but they were fully predictable. I would have preferred seeing the actual battle instead of having them running around screaming.

5. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

This episode covered episode 24 of Shinkenger. The Shinkenger/Decade crossover took place during episodes 20-21. There was no Megazord fights in the corresponding Decade episodes (those episodes involve a Nighlok getting hold of a Rider device called the DiEnd Driver, which eliminates its ability to turn giant after defeat), and Saban already skipped over episode 21 (which certainly didn't have a spider monster).

Meaning, we're already several episodes past the Decade crossover footage, and it wouldn't make sense to have a Megazord fight that uses an entirely different monster, should they continue fighting Arachnitor (I thought they defeated him...).

6. bigddan11

This shows me how wrong you are, considering I have watched Shinkenger and this episode. There is a Megazord fight in episode 21 of Shinkenger, and it happens to be Clawzord and the flying Megazord again the Moogers. This happens because Octozord (or Squid Origami in Shinkenger) has been kidnapped in episodes 20 & 21 of Shinkenger by one of the Kamen Riders. I said the Megazord footage was from that said episode (episode 21) while the rest of it was footage from 24, minus the Bulk and Spike scenes, and after watching it a second time I stand by that, especially since the monster of the past two episodes and black box are used in episode 24 of Shinkenger.

7. veemonjosh

Alright, fine, I was wrong. You don't have to be so high and mighty about correcting people.

8. Marvin Tikvah

Marvin Tikvah Active Member

Can't really find much wrong with this episode, aside from the Black Box being put aside near the end. Although at least it brought about the good lesson of using teamwork and to believe in yourself to take on any challenge big or small. I assume that box will unlock either the Battlizer or the next few zords since its been a while since we've had either.

The Deker/Jayden confrontation was definitely anticlimactic, although not totally unexpected since Deker's not one to stop a battle and Jayden wouldn't have fought him anyway. Dayu was kind of wasted however.

Bulk and Spike's antics were hilarious however.

9. bigddan11

Just so you know I didn't mean to sound high and mighty. My nephew was over here at the same time and frustrated me a slight amount, causing me to sound quite rude. For that I apologize. What I was meaning to say is there was a Megazord fight in episode 21 of Shinkenger just like this one. In fact that was one of only two megazord fights in Shinkenger where Octozord/ Squid Origami doesn't help fight from this point on, the other being in Shinkenger 22 where they defeat a monster I don't expect to see in Samurai. They did have a Megazord figth in both of those episodes, and they had Gold Ranger basically running around the entire time trying to catch the Kamen Rider that stole his zord. That's why I wonder why they decided to push this out to a three-part episode and apparently not debut the black box and destroy this monster until the next episode. There is absolutely no need to have pushed it to a three-part episode that actually could lead to the biggest plot deviation Power Rangers has made in Samurai. I'll be honest though, I don't like the black box, and I wouldn't be offended if they decided not to use and instead had the Rangers use their Megalo Powers in place of the Black Box in regular battles. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they end up having the black box activate their megalo powers instead of what it did activate in Shinkenger.

10. brutus

brutus New Member

for me too.........

11. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

17 years after they were banned from television there, next week, starting Monday, June 27, 2011, the Power Rangers return to New Zealand! TV channel FOUR now has a Power Rangers Samurai page up, and will air weekday afternoons. It is worth remembering that Monday in New Zealand is Sunday in the U.S. time zones, because of the international date line.

12. Poweranimals

Poweranimals Invincible

If they actually watch Samurai, I'm sure they'll wish it was still banned.

13. underdog

underdog Member

hahaha;)

14. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Skull shall appear in Samurai!

15. NewcomerDC

NewcomerDC Active Member

I feel for JDF. I don't like that Nick basically rebooted this series without looking back in the past, or from the clip, bringing back more of the characters that we've grown to love over the years. I wouldn't mind if Tommy returned only for him to not say anything about the past and becomes a Power Ranger after taking a break from being a UFC champion.

16. veemonjosh

So basically, Samurai takes place in a new timeline. One where Rita was never freed, where the Alliance of Evil never attacked the Earth, where no one ever left for another world, where Lightspeed was never formed, where no future time travelers came to the year 2001, and so on. I guess this might be the case for now, but this stance is just going to be retconned once we hit "Power Rangers: Pirate Storm".

My biggest issue for the present is: Why would Bulk be training Spike to be a samurai then? I thought he was doing it because of how he was inspired by the teams he saw first-hand in his teen years; He doesn't want Spike to be a delinquent, so he took up tutoring Spike to protect the weak rather than pick on them. The samurai aspect of his tutoring is simply because there are now samurai-themed rangers; it gives Spike his own heroes to look up to and be inspired by.

If the "five teenagers with attitude" never got their powers, then there really isn't some meaningful inspiration that would lead to this.

17. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Yeah, I think the general consensus is that the Powers That Be on the show don't care about making a good show or forming a continuity.

18. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

Before you guys get all riled up, I think Jason David Frank might have the wrong idea of PRS being a total reboot of the whole story. We already went through this with PRNS and the whole thing about Power Rangers only existing in comic books. Also, keep in mind that there's still that whole issue about Jonathan Tzachor not counting Disney seasons as part of the whole story. Both accounts aren't in harmony with each other, so I'm personally taking them with a grain of salt. In the end, it might be up to Saban himself what's what.

19. Poweranimals

Poweranimals Invincible

Wasn't it also said though that Tzachor counts every season a different universe where the previous never happened?

20. Marvin Tikvah

Marvin Tikvah Active Member

Our only source for that info is a guy who has access to behind the scenes info, but also loves to stretch the truth.

It's not really a huge issue to me whether Samurai is currently a new continuity, a total reboot or whatever. Through thick or thin, every PR series ends up getting dragged into the same universe whether we like it or not. Regardless of how Jonathan Tzacher or any other directer approaches each season, its ultimately the writers who wind up tying everything up into one messy little package.