"Power Rangers Ninja Steel" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by veemonjosh, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Power Rangers: Ninja Steel "Grave Robber"

At least it wasn't a clip show. Or was it? These things tend to blur together for me.

The Rangers still go trick-or-treating? Makes sense. Those nerds still believe in Santa Claus.

Could have been worse. ***.

2. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

[​IMG]
    Episode 16 - "Monkey Business"
    Air date: October 14th, 2017

Hayley and Calvin's relationship is tested when they both decide to run for student body president.

3. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Power Rangers: Ninja Steel “Monkey Business”

Victor is a narcissistic sociopath with the IQ of dogfood. How does a psychopathic, moronic, chairsniffer like him get elected President of anything?

Never mind. I know how that happens.

The villain was unusually smart this episode by taking on the Power Rangers out of costume, and picking them off one or two at a time.

Victor thinks pulling a prank on the election winners will disqualify them both? How does that track? I repeat: IQ of dogfood.

Totally not terrible. ***.

4. veemonjosh

[​IMG]
    Episode 17 - "The Adventures of Redbot"
    Air date: October 21st, 2017

Redbot documents the adventures of the Power Rangers on his new blog, while a cat-like monster attempts to steal the Ninja Power Stars.

5. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Power Rangers Ninja Steel "The Adventures Of Redbot"

This show is so dumb and unfunny.

A half clock half cat? WTH?

Because Redbot's stories are untrue the books have to be recycled? And because he saved one person after the fact, suddenly his lies are all right? Neither of those things track.

Bad week. *.

6. veemonjosh

[​IMG]
    Episode 18 - "Abrakadanger!"
    Air date: October 28th, 2017

Preston must confront one of Galvanax's newest contestants after his magical spells backfire on his teammates.

7. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Power Rangers: Ninja Steel "Abrakadanger"

I actually liked that. And I feel deep shame for that fact.

Where to start? It strikes me as an incredibly unruly school where a kid can simply claim a trophy for themselves if he's the only person interested in playing the sport. Also messed up is that Victor gets a second place ribbon after losing the only tennis match of the entire year.

I liked Mick pretending to instantly want to learn tennis, because it makes Mick seem smarter and cooler than he actually is for that. Both Hayley and Preston are impressed with his logic about learning things one step at a time, but if all of the Rangers weren't complete dolts, they'd instantly understand the lesson he was trying to teach, without Mick having to do such a heavy-handed job guiding them to the correct moral. It would be a sarcastic quip, instead of a teaching moment, if the Rangers were smarter. Mick seems very wise to me simply because he has to teach dullards basic logic and social skills. It's kind of lovable that he still insists at the end of the gag that he just wanted to learn to play tennis, but I am very aware Mick just got some quite unearned wiseness cred by doing that. If his charges were smarter, he'd be much less impressive.

The episode whiffed something terrible. They missed a one-liner. Big time. When Hayley lost the first match, she faces Preston, and he apologizes. What they SHOULD have done is have her say something like, "Son, you are VERY lucky you cannot see my face right now. You'd best step back now." The premise demanded that joke, and the show failed us. Again.

But do you know what? The invisibility effects did NOT actually suck. Simply because you can tell fake looking invisibility effects because of their obvious flaws. This obviously wasn't visually amazing due to the small budget, and they could pretty much only afford to move a scarf around mid-air, but it's the fact that your eye isn't drawn to it which is why it's a good effect. I should be noticing it more, and I'm not.

This show is dumb. Where pray-tell did Victor acquire robot arms to cheats? I know they can't exactly show a teenager juicing on a preschool show, but c'mon man, give me SOME credit.

"You can't spell Victory with Victor." That's actually a really good line, which is a a shame, because it is attached to such a dirtbag. I'd rather it was some I liked that said something that snappy.

I rolled my eyes at Hayley saying in surprise, "Wow! That's Princess Vierra!" Dude! They JUST explained what the hologram did! I mean, if my dad calls me on the phone I don't say "Wow! That's my dad!" (And I should. Because my Dad is awesome.) But if I already know how a piece of technology works, I am not impressed by it. Hayley probably gets excited whenever she sees a blue car too. And then she sticks her head out the window and rolls down her tongue.

I liked this in spite of myself. ****1/2.

8. veemonjosh

[​IMG]
    Episode 19 - "Helping Hand"
    Air date: November 4th, 2017

Sarah must contend with her mother's interference when she tries to upgrade her hover board's battery, while Vic and Monty's invention may have disastrous consequences for the Power Rangers.

Note: No episode next week because Nickelodeon decided yet another airing of The Spongebob Squarepants Movie takes priority. The last regular episode of this season will air on the 18th.

9. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Power Rangers: Ninja Steel "Helping Hand"

Do you know what I like? That the Ranger inventor is a girl. I like that fact a lot. We'll see women scientists in genre sometimes, but the inventor character is almost always a guy. And I like that that's not true for this show.

However, when I heard, "We're always ready... Ready to kick your butt!" I was all like, "Kill me now."

Calvin telling Sarah she was too hard on her mom doesn't seem very true to life for me. Usually teenagers are much more sympathetic with each other over how much their parents suck.

Monty is smart enough to build a magnet powerful enough to capture Ninja Stars? Forgive me for finding that a bit unlikely.

Mick basically moves his arm, and suddenly the new Ninja Star is in Brody's hand. We didn't even see him throw it. This show is always done on the cheap.

So-so episode. **1/2.

10. veemonjosh

The battle against Galvanax escalates in the season finale!

[​IMG]
    Episode 20 - "Galvanax Rise"
    Air date: November 18th, 2017

Galvanax comes to Earth with a new, seemingly unstoppable plan to defeat the Power Rangers.

And that's the last regular episode of the front half of Ninja Steel. But there's still one special left, so come back on December 2nd for this year's Power Rangers Christmas special.

11. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Power Rangers: Ninja Steel "Galvanax Rises"

"We've been waiting all season for this!" Very meta line there.

This was both good and bad at the same time.

Good:

Mick seeming to be ready to sword-fight.

Bad:

Mick becoming a Ranger. That seemed a bit much.

Good:

Monty and Victor not wanting to hurt the Rangers.

Bad:

Monty defeating the monsters with visible farts.

Good:

Brody's Dad returning at the end.

Bad:

Everybody sings.

So it was all kind of a push.

I don't know if this is the end, or if they'll do a Super Ninja Steel, but it was merely all right. ***.

12. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

Super Ninja Steel is happening. You covered a good deal of my thoughts on this finale, but I did like seeing Mick become a Ranger, and I felt legitimately sad at his departure. He really feels like the heart and soul of this season. Of course the Rangers didn't bother to wonder if Galvanax's ship (or the Ninja Steel-imbued asteroid) was still intact.