"Power Rangers Ninja Steel" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by veemonjosh, Jan 21, 2017.

1. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

[​IMG]

Galvanax is the reigning champion of the most popular intergalactic game show in the universe, and contestants battle to prove who is the mightiest warrior. Galvanax is determined to become invincible by controlling the mythical Spirit Crystal, which contains six supernatural Ninja Power Throwing Stars. The only thing standing in his way is a new team of heroic teenage Power Rangers who possess the Spirit Crystal. The evil Galvanax sends his warrior contestants down to Earth to steal the Crystal, where each epic battle against the Rangers is broadcast throughout the universe. Together, the Rangers must master their arsenal of Throwing Stars, Robots, each made of legendary Ninja Steel in order to stop this evil threat and save our planet from destruction.

An adaptation of Super Sentai 39, Shuriken Sentai Ninninger, Power Rangers Ninja Steel is exclusive to Nickelodeon and NickToons.

---Season One (2017)---
    1. "Return of the Prism" - 1/21
    2. "Forged in Steel" - 1/28
    3. "Live and Learn" - 2/4
    4. "Presto Chango-O" - 2/11
    5. "Drive to Survive" - 2/25
    6. "My Friend, Redbot" - 3/4
    7. "Hack Attack" - 3/18
    8. "Gold Rush" - 3/18
    9. "Rocking & Rolling" - 8/12
    10. "The Ranger Ribbon" - 8/19
    11. "Poisonous Plots" - 8/26
    12. "Family Fusion" - 9/2
    13. "Ace and the Race" - 9/9
    14. "The Royal Rival" - 9/16
    15. "The Royal Rumble" - 9/23
    16. "Monkey Business" - 10/14
    17. "The Adventures of Redbot" - 10/21
    18. "Abrakadanger" - 10/28
    19. "Helping Hand" - 11/4
    20. "Galvanax Attacks" - 11/18

HOLIDAY SPECIALS
    Halloween 2017 - "Tomb Raider" - 10/7
    Christmas 2017 - "Past, Presents, and Future" - 12/5

Previous Power Rangers Premiere Talkbacks:
    Jungle Fury
    RPM - Part 1 / Part 2
    Samurai - Season 1 Part 1/Season 1 Part 2/Season 2
    Megaforce - Season 1/Season 2
    Dino Charge - Season 1/Season 2
    Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers (Reversioned)
    Lost Galaxy (Vortexx)

• Like Like x 1
    #1 veemonjosh, Jan 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017 at 11:43 AM
  2. veemonjosh

[​IMG]
    Episode 1 - "Return of the Prism"
    Air Date: January 21st, 2017

A teen escapes to Earth carrying a special artifact from an alien spaceship.

• Like Like x 1
    #2 veemonjosh, Jan 21, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  3. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

It's good to be back. To paraphrase Andre from Black Nerd Comedy, I'll sum up the good, the bad, and the nerdy.

The good:
    -Nice theme song. Starts off "ninja-y" (to a foreigner) before morphing into "Go Go Power Rangers" and alternating from there. Did this intro seem longer than previous seasons?
    -I like the camaraderie between Brody, Mick, and Redbot. I feel like they could show up in Mystery Science Theater 3000 and they wouldn't look too out of place.
    -Sarah helping Preston out was nice.
    -We've got an interesting framing device for the monster battles and MacGuffin hunt with an intergalactic game show.
    -I kind of like how the show doesn't even bother to hide the gold Ninja Star with the accompanying Ranger's helmet plastered on it.

The bad:
    -Monty and Victor seem alright, but they may have gone a little too far in making Monty the "nerdy" one. And Victor could become annoying without some depth added to him.
    -Right now, these Ninja Stars seem a little too similar to Dino Charge's Energems. We even got a struggle for the power source and multi-Ranger debut in a forest as the climax.
    -I enjoyed the episode, but I wonder if it was a little too breakneck for newer viewers.

The nerdy:
    -Oh hi, Kelson Henderson. So good to see you as a major character in Power Rangers again.
    -I saw reused costumes for R.P.M.'s Venjix and a Fearcat from Operation Overdrive.
    -Sarah's hoverboard (a real hoverboard, not those stickless segways) seems to be a normal thing in the show.
    -Taking Dino Super Charge's continuity tweaks into equation, I wonder how this season falls in the grand continuity.

#3 Scrappy-Fan92, Jan 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  4. veemonjosh

[​IMG]
    Episode 2 - "Forged in Steel"
    Air Date: January 28th, 2017

Brody looks for his family at his childhood home. Meanwhile, Hayley and Calvin encounter an odd alien.

#4 veemonjosh, Jan 28, 2017
  5. Scrappy-Fan92

Nice episode. My thoughts:

-So does the Ninja Prism just create Zords based on the personalities/hobbies of the Ninja Star holders? That's the best way to address the motif mish-mash of Ninninger, I guess.
    -It's pleasantly surprising to see Hayley and Calvin just be a couple from the get-go. More series should try that.
    -The Ninja Steel Rangers' morph feels like a combination of Samurai and Dino Charge's morphs. Very pretty, although the ninja masks during the internal visor scenes should've probably been shown in the morphing sequence first.
    -I'm glad they addressed the missing Gold Ninja Star. Makes me wonder is Madame Odious going to create an evil Ranger with it.

6. veemonjosh

[​IMG]
    Episode 3 - "Live and Learn"
    Air Date: February 4th, 2017

Accusations of cheating are made against Brody when he uses his Data Comm at school, forcing him to rely solely on his own skills as he leads the Rangers to fight another threat from Galvanax.

#6 veemonjosh, Feb 4, 2017
  7. veemonjosh

[​IMG]
    Episode 4 - "Presto Chango-O"
    Air Date: February 11th, 2017

Preston is amazed by his suddenly real magical abilities. Meanwhile, Galvanax hatches a plan with a new monster to steal the Ninja Power Stars.

No new episode next week because of a Spongebob marathon.

#7 veemonjosh, Feb 11, 2017
  8. Scrappy-Fan92

Alright batch of episodes, although getting a bit too heavy-handed with the morals (the MacGuffins stop working with selfish desires again?). Victor and Monty will take some getting used to, as it is they're Bulk and Skull without the character depth that the latter pair was afforded by sticking around for half a decade.

It's strange how much I've grown to love Ninninger's mecha since I first saw them. And I just love how Hayley and Calvin are always together and it's completely normal.

9. veemonjosh

[​IMG]
    Episode 5 - "Drive to Survive"
    Air Date: February 25th, 2017

While battling a new spider-like monster, Calvin must learn to conquer his greatest fear to save the rangers and unlock a new power.

[​IMG]
    Episode 6 - "My Friend, Redbot"
    Air Date: March 4th, 2017

Hayley and Redbot are trapped from the other rangers, and it is revealed how Redbot and Brody became such good friends.

No episode next week due to the Kids Choice Awards. But there will be TWO new episodes the following week.

#9 veemonjosh, Mar 4, 2017
  10. veemonjosh

This week, a full hour of new Ninja Steel!

[​IMG]
    Episode 7 - "Hack Attack"
    Air Date: March 18th, 2017

Sarah clones herself with a device she made in order to participate in many student activities, but her plan backfires when Galvanax's monster steals the technology for himself.

[​IMG]
    Episode 8 - "Gold Rush"
    Air Date: March 18th, 2017

The Power Rangers and Galvanax both attempt to uncover more info about the mysterious new Gold Ranger.

And, unfortunately, these are the last episodes currently scheduled. Unless another episode shows up, it looks like we've already reached the annual mid-season hiatus. See you back here around late August!

• Like Like x 1
    #10 veemonjosh, Mar 18, 2017
  11. Scrappy-Fan92

I know some fans raised their objection to Bulk & Spike's general tacked-on segments in Samurai, but in hindsight I think they're better handled than most of Victor and Monty's antics. I did enjoy Victor's Robin Hood costume from "Hack Attack" though. Assorted thoughts on episodes 7-8:

-The team seems a little too calm about a monster getting a hold of Sarah's technology.
    -Mick acting like a trickster mentor seemed reminiscent of Jungle Fury's RJ.
    -Zords seem to show up out of virtually nowhere. Megaforce had this problem also, but one could at least assume Gosei and Tensou built all of the Zords ahead of time (and then decided to hand them out piecemeal for some reason).
    -I did enjoy Sarah's technology being the basis of a Megazord attack in the following episode.
    -The Gold Ninja Steel Ranger's non-Sentai footage suit looks so much better than the Gold Ranger suit from Dino Charge. Levi seems like a nice guy, too.
    -I was expecting the Gold Ranger/Odious' prisoner to be Brody's brother, so this was a swerve.
    -Considering how easily Levi escaped, I think Odious let him free as a sort of sleeper agent in the Rangers' ranks.

Well, these first eight episodes have been amusing, but I hope the post-hiatus episodes pick up the slack.

12. veemonjosh

So did you guys know that Ninja Steel came back last week? Neither did I!

[​IMG]
    Episode 9 - "Rocking & Rolling"
    Air date: August 12th, 2017

Levi excitedly embarks on his world tour, but as mysterious earthquakes start shaking up Summer Cove, he faces a tough decision.

[​IMG]
    Episode 10 - "The Ranger Ribbon"
    Air date: August 19th, 2017

When Summer Cove's sentimental ``Ribbon Tree'' is in danger of being cut down by Preston's wealthy father, Preston must learn to stand up to his father to save what is important.

13. veemonjosh

[​IMG]
    Episode 11 - "Poisonous Plots"
    Air date: August 26th, 2017

Galvanax's latest contestant poisons Brody and the Rangers must make the ultimate sacrifice to save him.

[​IMG]
    Episode 12 - "Family Fusion"
    Air date: September 2nd, 2017

The Rangers access a powerful new Megazord formation to battle Ripcon.

14. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

So that whole thing where:

"Aiden" turned out to be a robot?

That was not cool. Now they're saying that:

"Levi" is the "real" Adrien, but to protect him, the others will still call him Levi.

How do we know that isn't another setup for some later plot twist? They played with everyone's emotions earlier. How do we know they aren't doing it now? They lead ("lehd") everyone on implying that:

Aiden had been a double agent working for the bad guys all along, but then it turns out, that wasn't really Aiden at all.

All that being said, I'm still going to watch the show, and at least give them the benefit of the doubt, and assume (for now) the character in the spoiler tags is who the writers say he is. I mean, after all, this series doesn't usually do stuff like that. I mean, not really. This is Power Rangers we're talking about, after all. They're not usually the kind of show that would do something so spur-of-the-moment like that, just to create dramatic tension. In any case, I was not happy when it happened, and I really hope they don't try this again...

15. veemonjosh

[​IMG]
    Episode 13 - "Ace and the Race"
    Air date: September 9th, 2017

Calvin finds himself increasingly distracted from his friends and Power Ranger duties when he spends all his time trying to impress his local hero.

16. Scrappy-Fan92

Mostly nice batch of episodes. Levi turning out to actually be Brody's brother Aiden was surprising to me (but probably not for others). Victor and Monty have grown on me as well. I think this show works better when the plot's actually moving forward, so admittedly the morality tales don't always do it for me.

As for last week's episode itself, it was alright. As a person who doesn't really drive cars, I can only tangentially connect with Calvin's fixation with them (which puts me in the same boat as the target audience as well). It appears that fixation blinded Calvin from intially realizing Ace was a fake friend (and a fake car enthusiast at that). It was also a bit strange that Mick went out of his way to deliver a moral to Calvin instead of prioritizing the fact that the other Rangers were in trouble (the "trophification" of the Rangers reminded me of that one episode of Lost Galaxy where Leo had to beat a monster in a motorbike race).

17. veemonjosh

[​IMG]
    Episode 14 - "The Royal Rival"
    Air date: September 16th, 2017

A mysterious princess and her royal guard arrive on Earth to challenge the Rangers.

[​IMG]
    Episode 15 - "The Royal Rumble"
    Air date: September 23rd, 2017

The Power Rangers band together with a new ally to try and defeat Galvanax's new champion -- but even their teamwork may not be enough.

18. Scrappy-Fan92

These were the Battilizer episodes with all of the usual Battilizer tropes: Red Ranger gets the power-up even if he doesn't really deserve it. It looks good on Brody though, and it was nice to see Fiera (is that how you spell it?) make peace with the Rangers.

And I loved Mick being able to see his parents again. Kelson Henderson is a gift to us all.

19. dprboy

dprboy Member

i don't have a favorite Ninja Steel ranger but my favorite character is Mick. He actually teaches the rangers!

20. veemonjosh

Forgot to mention, but last week was the Worldwide Day of Play. But Ninja Steel is back this week with the annual Halloween special!

[​IMG]
    Halloween 2017 - "Grave Robbers"
    Air date: October 7th, 2017

The Power Rangers celebrate Halloween by playing a spooky new board game, but find the stakes bigger than they imagined.