Possible Future Nicktoons

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Ickis, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Ickis

Ickis Classic Directors Cut Edition

2. rockorockorocko

rockorockorocko Active Member

Hmm interesting shorts, wasn't overly impressed by any.

I felt like Odyssey Squad has a lot of potential given the current market, but it reminds me a lot of Adventure Time in a sense... Not sure what the premise is but the short was similar. Feel like if it did get green lit (probably the most potential of all 12), it'l def get heat for being Nick's second CN rip off.

I also felt Callie Peer Counselor was fairly charming. Reminded me of CN's 90s lineup of fun, feel good cartoons. I wouldn't mind that being green lit, although it has more a tween girl feel.

Thought Cabrito and Chewy was clever, but nothing special. Lucas also has an interesting feel for it, although it's more likely annoying than engaging.

A lot of shows very similar to ones currently on. Aside from the aforementioned ones, Stick and Carrot reminded me of Annoying Orange and Baby Stache sorta has Rugrats feel. Plus, way to many BRO, DUDE... Ren and Stimpy stuff. Too much.

3. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

None by Butch Hartman?

4. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

I only actually sat through Pam & Sid's Port-A-Party, Odyssey Squad and Callie Peer Counselor.

Pam & Sid was too hyperactive and one-note. Might make for an amusing one-shot or a filler segment between shows, but there's not enough going on there for an ongoing series.

Odyssey Squad came off like a calculated attempt to cross Regular Show with Adventure Time. They could've called that one Adventure Show or Regular Time. The cupcake boss was almost a total clone of RS' Benson. Too much LOLrandomness, too much dude-bro-ness.

Callie Peer Counselor was fairly amusing, but school-centric shows aren't really my thing.

The others all seemed to fall into the same patterns to me. Nothing I'd go out of my way to watch. I'll give them one thing: Nick is at least OK with shows that aren't just about dudes.

5. GPRailroad8794

GPRailroad8794 New Member

I haven't seen any of the pilots yet but based on what I've seen of them, these shows are just more manufactured, hyperactive, sugar coated, LCD cartoons with the usual bathroom humor and insulting of intelligence. The design for most of these shorts look forced and almost similar to one another. If any of these do get greenlit, Nick is in trouble.

6. SaneMan

SaneMan Active Member

1st, way to judge something without having seen it

2nd, if Nick has to save itself by copying CN, then so be it
    CN's shows were having a major impact on the industry in one way or another pretty much since the 90s, so this would be nothing new

will watch the pilots tomorrow and judge for my self

edit
    the insistence of American networks to discriminate non-american viewers strikes again
    seriously, I'd even watch the adds!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2013
  7. GPRailroad8794

It's called a first impression.

By saying that, you're implying that Nick had little to no impact on the industry and that's far from the truth. And what do you mean by "copying CN" when Nick is the one who started the trend of gross out, bathroom humor in cartoons to begin with? If anything, CN copied Nick.

What are you talking about?

8. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

I think he's talking about the "dudes in wonderland" vibe, to paraphrase Silverstar.

But yeah, for whatever reason, Disney seems to get less flack for being more like CN than before. Maybe it's because they hired actual talent from CN, and generally reek less of flop sweat than Nick.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2013
  9. GPRailroad8794

Forgive me but how is Disney trying to be like Cartoon Network?

10. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

You don't get that feel from Gravity Falls?

11. GPRailroad8794

I got slight Regular Show vibes from it but I still wouldn't say Disney is trying to be Cartoon Network.

Disney does have Craig McCracken though... :p

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2013
  12. SaneMan

SaneMan Active Member

It's true that Nick had their fair share of influence over the industry, but traces of that influence have grown less visible over the years, while the influence of CN remains visible
    For example, Fairly OddParents looks more like a 90s CN show, than a Nick show (helped by the fact that Butch Hartman used to work for CN during the 90s)
    Gravity Falls, Kick Buttowski, My Life as a Teenage Robot, My Little Pony: FiM, Littlest Pet Shop, Sanjay and Craig, as well as the upcoming Wander over Yonder, all were created by Cartoon Network veterans, who brought their significant styles (styled made popular by CN) with them, than then proceeded to influence the other creators at the networks

The last show to draw upon the old-school Nick influence was The Mighty B!

13. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Port-O-Party looks gross to me. Lucas is OK.

14. GPRailroad8794

Alright, I see your point now.

I definitely wouldn't say FOP is anything like a 90s Cartoon Network show, at least not anymore. The closest it was to anything CN put out in the 90s was back during season one. If Nick really is in fact copying CN, then they're doing a terrible job.

15. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

The artstyle does seem like a cross between Dexter and Powerpuff, and those shows were kind of also about child wish fulfillment gone wrong...

16. Ickis

"dudes in wonderland" , that phrase about sums up a popular trend in modern cartoons.

I agree with everyone that Odyessy Squad is a caculated shot at rivaling CNs cartoons, I'm surprised that so many people picked up on that though, if not a little flattered.

17. GPRailroad8794

I stand corrected once more! FOP is more like Dexter in that child wish fulfillment aspect than The PPG though.

As far as Cartoon Network's influence on the animation industry, you can trace most of it back to CalArts. Most animators who have/had a show on any of the Big 3 have come from that school. Cartoon Network served as the launching pad for the careers of Genndy Tartakovsky, Craig McCracken, Butch Hartman, and Seth MacFarlane back in the 90s and we now have a new breed of talent from the school in Rebecca Sugar, J.G. Quintel, Pendleton Ward, and Skyler Page. There was an article on CartoonBrew many months ago that talked about how CalArts is pretty much a genre of animation in itself and how there is an underlying similarity in each of the artists it has produced's greatest works. CN made a STRONG impact, but it arguably wouldn't have been as powerful without the aforementioned names.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2013
  18. SaneMan

SaneMan Active Member

Could you please post a link to that article?
    I'd be really interested in reading it, and I know other people who would be as well.

I also find it rather amusing how all of these creators' careers can usually be traced back to a single project.
    For the 90s wave, it was 2 Stupid Dogs (which was actually a Hanna-Barbera show, but so were the early seasons of Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo, Cow and Chicken, and the Powerpuff Girls)
    For the current wave, it's FlapJack

but to bet back on the subject of the thread
    does anyone know of another way to watch those Nick pilots?
    as always, Nick is blocking their non-American viewers (never understood the purpose of this)

19. Ickis

Are you asking me to link to an article or someone else?

My only suggestion would be to use a different IP or something, I too never understood why Nick blocks foreign viewers.

Judging by other peoples comments I'm not sure if you're really missing out on much.

20. SaneMan

SaneMan Active Member

I always want to see for my self before forming an opinion