1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon: Sun & Moon (Discussion)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by River26, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

So it's been a week since the games came out and I have been enjoying them quite a lot. I'm just about to go for the second grand trial in Sun, while I'm about to go for the second regular trial in Moon. I haven't talked much about the games online in order to avoid spoilers, as I still don't know much about the characters, the Legendary Pokemon or the Ultra Beasts, but I have been enjoying the games. My Sun team currently has Brionne, Rockruff and Salandit, while my Moon team currently has Dartix, Pikachu, Cutiefly and Mudbray. I have my teams planned out and while it's a bit different than I originally expected, I'll be pretty happy once I can get them all together and work on leveling them up.

I do love how Alola feels so big whenever you travel to a new island. The graphics and scenery are just gorgeous. I like the trials more than I thought I would as well. I never had much of a problem with Gyms, but the trials do feel similar enough to Gyms, especially the third trial, while still providing something new at the same time. The Totem Pokemon have actually been quite challenging starting with the second trial, although part of it could be because I keep forgetting to give my Pokemon a Z-Crystal, but it's still refreshing to have a bit more of a challenge with Trials than I have had with Gym battles for the longest time.

I love Pokemon Refresh. It is a good improvement over Pokemon Amie. I still like Pokemon Amie itself, but the mini games did become tedious after awhile, especially when I was only good with the berry collecting one, so I think removing that aspect was a good call. I wouldn't have mind more variety in the mini-games, but I think removing them was a good choice too. You still get to play with your Pokemon and interact with them, but it's more straightforward. It also seems a lot easier to get the affection levels up than before. I also like grooming my Pokemon. Doing so right after a battle does feel natural and helps to make the game more immersive, which I think that they really wanted to given that we see trainers alongside their Pokemon and they have different Pokeballs this time around.

I really do miss Super Training though. There are ways for me to EV train my Pokemon in a faster rate, but I'll have to wait until the post-storyline where I have stronger Pokemon to get battle points and more berries to reduce their EVs as well. I'm just kind of used to doing EV training during the storyline, so that is a bit disappointing. Super Training was so handy to have and use whenever I caught a new Pokemon. Not to mention reducing EVs was extremely easy. Admittedly, I can now just focus on leveling up my Pokemon and going through the storyline without focusing too much on EV training like I used to, so that is kind of nice in a way. Plus, EV training will give me something more to do after I go through the storyline.

As for the Pokemon, I am pretty content with the batch we got for this generation. It is smaller than I would have liked, but I kind of figured that was going to happen. We might have a shorter amount of new Pokemon per generation now. They probably want to make the number of overall Pokemon less immense for new players and I'm okay with that, Much like the sixth generation, the designs are pretty solid and there are quite a few new Pokemon that I really love. Popplio is already my new favorite Water starter, Rowlet will probably become my new favorite Grass starter at this rate and I love the Rockruff, Salandit and Mudbray lines. Not to mention I think that this might be the best set of starters we've had in years, if not the best one of all.

I'm a bit more disappointed with the few number of Alola forms though. I knew it would just be Kanto Pokemon and while that was a bit of a shame too, I could go with it as an anniversary treat and there some really good Alola forms. I just wish that they had given a few other Kanto Pokemon Alola forms. A Water/Psychic Golduck would have been awesome and maybe something for Seel would have been neat too. Most of the choices due make sense given the Pokemon's popularity and/or the Hawaiian inspiration, but there are a couple I question if they really needed to give Alola forms. I wouldn't have given the Diglett line an Alola form at least. I do hope that we see more regional forms in the future though since that is a cool concept and another way to market older Pokemon as new ones again.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Pokemon Sun and Moon has become the fastest selling Nintendo game in North America and Europe! I'm really glad the game has been so success and that's just the initial release sales. Holiday sales and more potential sales in the future could easily increase the number of sold titles. On top of that, I've seen plenty of amusing media online related to the game like these examples of funny art and videos.

My copy of Sun just came in today! I had to wait with so many people bragging about their experiences or posting online. I'm glad that's over. Thanks for your impressions on the game @Light Lucario They'll probably mean more to me once I play the game later during the Christmas break.

3. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Just in time to me that I've been neglecting my copy of Pokemon Sun, Nintendo announced Pokemon UltraSun and UltraMoon today for release November 17.

• Like Like x 1
    #143 MDawg, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  4. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

What a weird coincidence, I was randomly thinking this morning about when the next main series game comes out.