1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon: Sun & Moon (Discussion)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by River26, Feb 26, 2016.

1. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

Wow that grimer, I was hoping it would of been Fire/Poison like those fan theories where going for oh well.

2. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

It sounds like the demo has been data mined since information is being leaked out. That's unfortunate. I guess you were right about that potentially happening. I'll be avoiding that information about the starters' final forms and other apparent reveals. The demo is going to be really exciting though!

3. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

• Like Like x 1
  4. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm sadly not too surprised by that. I was still hoping that there wouldn't be left over data in the demo, but the fact that Game Freak left it in there disappoints me. It's already tricky to avoid spoilers, but now it's going to be especially difficult with sprites everywhere. I've been fortunate to avoid most of the spoilers thus far, but that's going to make the month long wait until the games come out feel even longer. I'm going to try and wait until Sun/Moon come out before looking up the new Pokemon. Based on my experience with X/Y, going into a game as blind as possible wasn't that fun, but I would like to still be surprised at least a bit with both the games and the remaining announcements.

Anyway, I did like the new trailer. Silvally looks pretty cool. It definitely has an Arceus vibe going with it design wise and especially with its ability. It looks pretty cool and I do like it may evolve based on friendship due to the information on the official site. Ribombee is cute, although a bit disappointing as a Cutiefly evolution. It's not bad, but it doesn't look like a final form. It looks way more like a middle stage Pokemon to me and I was hoping for it to get a third stage. Given that this trailer is focused on evolved Pokemon, I don't think that we'll get another evolution, which would be disappointing. Cutiefly is cute and I do like that we have a Bug/Fairy type, but I was hoping for something a bit more.

Bounsweet's evolved forms were surprising. I definitely didn't expect it to evolve more than once for some reason. Both Steevee and Tsareena look pretty cool. They both give off a cute yet tough vibe to their designs. Considering that I saw Bounsweet as one of the less interesting of the new Pokemon initially, I like its evolved forms more than I thought I would. I don't see it landing on either one of my teams at the moment, but I do like it more and I could try one out in another game.

Alola Grimer and Muk were certainly a surprise, but I actually like them quite a bit. Given their designs, there wasn't much for them to do with Grimer and Muk beyond a different color scheme, but I do like the reasoning behind their change. It fits with the original line more so than making them more lava based and Poison/Dark is a pretty cool combination too. Alola Grimer almost looks cute in a weird way in the gameplay footage and Alola Muk really surprised me with how pretty it looked. I could see trying them out for my Moon team, especially when I don't have a lot of Pokemon setup for that team.

Ilima looked pretty nice. He seemed like a nice friendly first Trial Captain. Olivia looked so cool. She just radiates confidence and determination, which makes her look so awesome right from the start. She could be fun to battle against and interact with as well.

Unfortunately, I haven't played the demo yet. I should have double checked how much space there was on my SD card before today, but I'd have to delete quite a bit to get the demo and I don't feel comfortable doing that. I don't want to try transferring the data again when that backfired on me before, even though now I do have a more recent laptop to work with, but what I'll most likely do is see if I can pick up the New 3DS Galaxy Style system. I've been considering upgrading to a new system for Sun/Moon anyway and this would give me more incentive to just jump right into buying one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Yeah, I plan on getting the demo soon. Since Rhythm Heaven Megamix is digital only in North America (as well as Fire Emblem Fates - Revelations) and there are plenty of games with DLC nowadays, I don't have a ton of room on my SD card. So I bought a new one a few months ago for all those games/DLC. I should definitely be able to download the demo now. And I was waiting for the eShop to calm down. On top of that, because the demo is specific about how you unlock content, I want to be aware of when I start playing it, so I can get all the content. There's some information here, with details about the demo. So if you want to go spoiler-free for the demo (not related to the data mined leaks), you might want to skip this, but I don't think there's any real spoilers.

Hopefully, if you get a New 3DS, you can enjoy Pokemon Sun and Moon on that. I didn't watch the new trailer because I feel like I've seen enough about the game. November, here we come.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That is a useful list given that the events seem to be locked depending on when you start playing the demo. I was able to get a New 3DS XL Galaxy Style yesterday and I'm still amazed with how much room there is on that SD card. I don't tend to download a lot of games, but it's good to know that I can actually have the room to get some new downloaded games without worrying too much about the available space.

The demo has been pretty fun. I think it worked pretty well as giving players a nice taste of what Sun/Moon will be about with the trial and such. Team Skull is just fantastically hilarious here. Ash-Greninja does look cooler in battle than I thought it would too. I absolutely love the scenery and riding around on Taruos was pretty fun too. I also like that the items you can get aren't just given away at random. That was one of my biggest issues with the OR/AS demo. I had to be lucky enough to get all of the storyline content, but here, I can just wait a certain amount of days to get the items. I hope that one of the items you can transfer is a special Pokeball like a Heal Ball. I like having my team members in different Pokeballs if at all possible and I liked that I could capture a Poochyena in a Heal Ball. If I could do something like that with Rockruff, that would be wonderful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

I started playing the demo recently and it's been a lot of fun. Ash-Greninja is fun to use and the Pokemon in the demo are pretty nice, even if there's only a few. Rockruff is super cute and adorable so he's easily my favorite of the new Pokemon from the demo. Pikipek is really nice too. Team Skull was indeed pretty hilarious with their comments and silly hand movements. I'm just having a really good time, especially with the timed bonuses which bring me back to the demo in ways I've never experienced before in a demo. This just adds to my hype for the game. I mean, have you tried the circle pad spin (spin in place for awhile)? It's just a nice little detail the developers included.

I've never been a huge Pokemon fan. I watched a bit of the original TV series with Ash, Brock, and Misty as a kid plus I played Pokemon Crystal. I enjoyed both a bit, but it never really sunk in for me. Sonic the Hedgehog grabbed me instead. My younger brother was really into Pokemon on the DS before he grew out of it. But with this game, I think Pokemon has finally clicked with me. I'm so glad the 20th anniversary could bring me into the series more than ever. I'm enjoying Pokemon Chronicles, I'm checking out the current Pokemon show XYZ now and I might watch the Sun and Moon animé. I'd also like to get Pokken Tournament. So I'm definitely happy to jump on board.

8. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Rockruff is one of my favorite seventh generation Pokemon, so seeing it in the demo is great, even though I can't really capture and keep one yet. It's a fun little demo with some nice details thrown in. It took me awhile to get the circle pad spin down, but it is pretty fun and little details like that really add some more life to the game. I just hope that the player characters have more expressions during the game itself since Sun not really reacting to anything was kind of weird, especially in the trial against Hakamo-o.

That's pretty cool that the games have clicked with you. I'm glad that you're enjoying the shows and the games. I haven't played Pokken Tournament myself, but I've heard great reviews for it. XY is a pretty solid show and I am looking forward to the SM anime too.

There was a livestream of the game earlier this morning. It didn't reveal a lot, but it did confirm that there are only seven trials. I heard about that through some of the early reviews for the games, but I was hoping it was a typo. I was hoping we'd get at least eight trials, or even sixteen if we got four per island, in order to make up for not having traditional Gyms. There still seems like quite a bit to do, so hopefully, that won't suggest that the storyline itself is too short. There is a new trailer announcement coming on the 27th, so hopefully that can reveal some new Pokemon and Alola forms.

9. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

I'm probably going to avoid any new information now and look forward to the game's release, but thanks for the heads up. I skipped the last trailer too, but I saw some new characters were revealed in it, so I suppose I'll found out about them in game.

Following the success of Pokemon Go, all the hype and being a part of the 20th anniversary celebration, I'm curious if Pokemon Sun and Moon can beat X and Y's record as the best-selling 3DS game.

10. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

You're welcome. I'd have a hard time avoiding any new information on the games for the next month. Even avoiding the leaked Pokedex has been kind of tricky and I have seen a few of them despite my efforts to avoid spoilers. Plus, seeing more of the trailers and what they can reveal gets me more excited for the games. Given how much hype there has been for Pokemon this year, I could see Sun/Moon beating X/Y's record. It does feel like they're trying out even more new concepts with Sun/Moon than they did with X/Y and they have been giving the games more trailers and promotion for the last few months as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

A big update this week. We get our first official look and names of the final starter evolutions, the last three guardian deities are unveiled (and their Z-move is so cool. Think Gurren Lagann) plus we find out the Pokemon League is just starting in the area, more new Pokemon (including Alolan Persian, who looks a tad bit like Garfield), you get to team up with famous trainers from other games in the series in the Battle Tree, and one more big reveal....

• Like Like x 1
    #131 MDawg, Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  12. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Does this look like the face of mercy?

Yes, my water type became part fairy & my fire type became part dark. Had a feeling that Incineroar would be more like a heel wrestler once someone pointed out in the leak concept art that Incineroar was using table and seen spitting, something that unsportsman like for a Fighting type. Still interesting that Decidueye becomes Ghost, thought it would keep it's typing. Even with Popplio's final evolution being a Sea lion mermaid siren Water/Fairy won't change my mind on using it first.

The new Island guardians are pretty cool. The fact that they share the same Z-move is pretty cool.

As for building the Pokémon league aspect of the game, it does seem interesting. Along with one of your post game rewards being fighting and teaming up with previous trainers. Kinda liked that remix of your rivals theme from Gen I that was used when they revealed Red and Blue/Green.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Red and Blue, with new designs? Sweet. I guess the Adventures manga will adopt that look too.

Incineroar is by far the coolest. I don't know why, but he has this "cool" look about him. Definately the one I want.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

This was a really cool trailer. While we've known about the final forms for quite some time due to the concept art that was leaked a few months ago, I really wasn't expecting them to reveal them officially before the games were released since we almost never find out about the final forms during the pre-release season. The only exceptions to that were the first generation games since the starters were on the box and maybe the third generation due to Blaziken's appearance in the anime.

In any case, it was cool to see them in gameplay footage. I definitely wasn't expecting Rowlet to evolve into a Grass/Ghost, but I don't mind that. It's a cool and unexpected combination, especially for a starter Pokemon. Decidueye looks pretty cool and I like how it's hood works as part of the bow and arrow. Its signature move is pretty cool too. Incineroar definitely gives off a tough and cool vibe with its design. I figured that it would be Fire/Dark given some of the rumors I've heard about it, but confirmation is good since people were worried about another Fire/Fighting type. It could easily pass as part Fighting, but the Dark type works with the heel wrestler inspiration. That inspiration works for its signature move as well given that it ignores status changes. Primarina is so beautiful and I was so happy that it is Water/Fairy. That was my biggest hope for Popplio when discussing its possible type combination and seeing it learn Disarming Voice back in the Nintendo Treehouse event got me so excited. Seeing it confirmed makes me happy and I love the Popplio line so much. Its signature move is a bit unexpected with healing burns, but it does show how gentle and soothing its voice can be.

Out of the three, Primarina is easily my favorite, but Decidueye is a close second. When I first saw Primarina in the leaks, I thought that the was a bit too much white around its body compared to Popplio, but after seeing it more and seeing Brionne as a good middle stage to build up to that form, I think it is more fitting. Plus, I love the blue hair and the mermaid inspiration. It still kind of works with the performer vibe they've been going with Popplio since it has gotten to the point where it can control its bubbles and heal with just its voice. Decidueye definitely has a unique cool factor to it though. Popplio is still going to be my starter in Sun, while Rowlet will be my starter in Moon. I do feel bad for not choosing Litten since I normally always choose the Fire starter in one of the first two games of a generation, but I like the Popplio and Rowlet lines more and I want to raise them first. I have seen hate towards Incineroar for its design and I do like it. It's not the ideal choice I would have gone with for Litten, but it's still neat and I'm sure that I'll enjoy raising one in the next game.

The other guardians were pretty cool. Tapu Lele looks so cute with its hair and pink shell. Tapu Bulu seemed a bit odd to me. It was supposed to look like a bull, but what threw me off was being Grass/Fairy since I don't think of grass when I think of a bull. Tapu Fini is easily my favorite though. I really liked the shade of purple and how it looks like a mermaid in a little shell. It's also pretty cool that they share a pretty awesome looking Z-Move. It's nice that we get exclusive Z-Moves for something other than first generation Pokemon.

Comfey looked quite cute. It's like a little cotton ball. It could be pretty important given what was mentioned in the official site and the scenes showing you protecting it in the Japanese trailers.

The fact that they're building an Alola League is pretty cool. At least it will give something for players to work for during the game and we could become the first Alola Champions, which sounds pretty neat. The Battle Tree sounds really fun. Seeing Cynthia again was pretty cool and we even get to battle Wally again. Red and Blue appearing with brand new designs is a huge treat for long time fans. Blue looks about the same to me, but Red looks a lot more different than I expected. It might be because he looks so much older compared to the artwork from FR/LG. I suspect that they're both twenty or so in the games. That would be fitting given that this is the 20th anniversary. It's cool to battle against older characters again. I do hope that they'll include characters from all other generations. I'd absolutely love to see N and Silver again, especially in these new graphics, and it would fit as a way to celebrate the franchise with including characters from the previous six generations in Sun/Moon.

It's an awesome trailer and makes me more eager to get the games.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Oh man, this will be harder to choose. I adore Rowlet's final evolution with the whole Robin Hood thing, but Primarina has that "She's beauty, she's grace, she'll kick you in the face" look and auuugh, close call between the two!

• Like Like x 2
  16. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I think I'm going to take Litten on Moon (which I'm getting on the 18th) and Popplio on Sun (which I'm putting on my birthday/Christmas list). In the latter I'm going to try to do a monotype Fairy team.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

So we got one more trailer before the games come out this Friday. That was a nice surprise since they didn't make an announcement beforehand. The starters all have their own unique Z-Moves and they're pretty awesome. Decidueye has Sinister Arrow Raid, Inciniroar has Malicious Moonsault and Primarina has Oceanic Operetta. Out of the three, I like Primarina's Z-Move the most since it looks so beautiful and I love the performer aspect to it. Sinister Arrow Raid does look pretty cool with Decidueye flying right in the middle and I love the wrestler vibe with Malicious Moonsault too. I also love the unique movement with the trainer with each Z-Move.

A couple of new Ultra Beasts were revealed as well. UB-03 Lightning looked quite strange, but pretty intense once it started to glow. UB-05 Glutton looked even more intense and so huge too.

They officially revealed the Alola Diglett and Dugtrio as well. It was strange that I was just thinking about a possible Alola Diglett before the demo came out just so fans could see its whole body. It's still not one of the choices I would have gone with for an Alola form out of the first generation, but I do like its ability and the reasoning behind its type change and hair from the official site is interesting.

The games will finally be out in just a few more days. It feels like it has been such a long road to get to this point of the year, but I eagerly await to get to GameStop as soon as I can on Friday. I hope that I can just enjoy the games after waiting so long.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Following the new trailer, Nintendo lifted the embargo for Pokémon Sun and Moon and the game has received extremely positive reviews so far, implying that it most certainly lives up to the hype! I'm glad to see this. GameStop and Nintendo NY store also have midnight launch plans like these adorable plushies!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I have seen a few of the reviews and I am quite pleased with them. It sounds like the games live up to the hype and there's a ton of praise for the games already. That's a good sign right off the bat and it sounds like the games could be a great way to help celebrate the franchise, as well as providing ways for it to move forward.

I've heard about the midnight releases. I don't know if my local GameStop is doing that, but it would be too difficult to get there on a Thursday night anyway. They have been selling those plush toys of the starters since the start of November. They are adorable and so soft. I'm so glad that I could get them for multiple reasons. I was prepared to wait until the 18th to get them, as I didn't think that they could sell them before the games came out, but getting them ahead of time worked wonderfully for me.

After seeing all of their forms, I have to say that the seventh generation has the best set of Pokemon starters in a long time in my opinion. There's usually a form or two that I'm not too thrilled about or just plain don't like, but all of the starters in each of their forms are really good. It was even tough for me to choose a second starter and it came down to just liking the Rowlet line a bit more than Litten's, but I still like Litten and its evolved forms. I love the starters for this generation and Popplio is already my new favorite Water starter. I can't wait to raise all of these new Pokemon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Some Gamestops already have those plushies outs, with me picking up Rowlet and Popplio last Friday.

• Like Like x 1