1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon: Sun & Moon (Discussion)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by River26, Feb 26, 2016.

1. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Another video and this time it shows off Alolan variants and a very special bonus Pokemon if you're an early buyer.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I laughed my butt off at Snorlax's Z-move.

3. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

This was a bit smaller amount of news than I was expecting, but I guess that makes sense given that they were focused on other 3DS titles. I like the Alola Rattata. It looks cute on its back legs, the black shade works nicely for its design and the mustache just make it look more adorable.

Exclusive Z-Moves sound pretty neat. I like the one for the Alola Raichu. It looks pretty cool. Getting a Munchlax with a Snorlax Z Crystal doesn't sound like the most appealing early gift they could have gone with. Compared to the Torchic for X/Y and especially the shiny Beldum for OR/AS, it feels a bit lacking to me. Snorlax's Z-move is pretty fantastic though. You stand right on top of a sleeping Snorlax while doing the pose, it suddenly gives you a death glare, it runs over to the opponent and then crushes them with its weight. That's so hilarious and I loved it.

At least we will be getting more news on the 6th. They probably didn't want to compete with the Nintendo Direct, so waiting until next Tuesday for more Pokemon specific news makes sense.

4. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

I really like Alolan Rattata It is dark and has an awesome mustache, and it can be fun to do a Rattata only challenge in Alola again because of it.

5. MDawg

More new Pokemon, Alolan forms, a new organization, we learn how Sun and Moon versions are different and Ultra Beasts!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dr.Pepper

Type: Null is the weirdest name ever, but I like its design. Alolan Raticate is so fat it's funny.

7. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

There was a lot of news here. Type: Null confused me so much at first since I thought that they were introducing a brand new type. I didn't even realize it was Normal until I watched the Japanese trailer. I was too focused on its name to recognize that the U.S. trailer also mentioned it was Normal type. I do like its chimera-like design. It does make me wonder if it has a form change or evolution where it doesn't have that helmet on its head. It's quite interesting to say the least.

Jangamo-o is really cute. I thought of not raising a Dragon Pokemon for these two teams, but Jangamo-o instantly made me reconsider that. I'll need to see what it evolves into first, but it does have potential to be on my team. Alola Raticate was disappointing to me at first. Getting heavier makes sense and I like the information on how Alola uses Raticate's sense of taste to try out new dishes and ingredients, but I really wanted to see it get a big mustache. That was one of the best things about Alola Rattata for me. It's grown on me a bit more since the announcement, but I'd probably call it the most disappointing of the Alola forms yet.

The new characters are certainly interesting. Gladion as the Team Skull Enforcer has a pretty nice design. You can just feel the teenage angst from his outfit to his melodramatic pose, which does kind of fit with the gangster rappers in Team Skull. It's also interesting that his partner is Type: Null since we haven't seen anyone else from Team Skull using new Pokemon. He also gives off a rival kind of vibe due to how young he is. He seems around the age of the player characters, so that could be neat.

The Aether Foundation were certainly interesting. They provide an interesting contrast to the rest of Alola. From what we've seen, Alola is full of nature and has a more rural vibe going for it. But the Aether Foundation has a more modern feel for it. They even created an artificial island for their base and the whole building is covered in white. They're also suspicious as heck. A lot of fans think that they'll be evil and I wouldn't be too surprised if that did happen. Lusamine saying how all Pokemon are worthy of her love sounds a lot more suspicious than genuine sincerity. Although, I wouldn't be too surprised if they're more like extremists who have more of a "the ends justify the means" attitude when it comes to helping Pokemon. Having good intentions, but not realizing the serious effects their actions have on the world would also be fitting.

The Ultra Beasts were a huge surprise. They don't seem to be human or even Pokemon, which is just shocking. Even on the official website, they're listed under characters rather than Pokemon. UB-01's name worked for me more than Type: Null because it does sound like something that was so recently discovered that they don't have any way to classify them other than a number. Plus, it helps to give more of a mysterious vibe to the Ultra Beasts. It's hard to speculate more about them when we know little about them, but UB-01's information saying that it had the movement of a young girl instantly created the theory that Lillie is UB-01. I don't know if I'd go with that theory just yet, but there is some connection between them most likely give their information. I'm also pretty sure that Lillie, Gladion and Lusamine are all related. Lillie and Lusamine in particular look way too similar to not be related. If that is the case, there could be some interesting conflicts between the three of them.

The new features are really cool. I was not expecting a twelve hour difference between the two versions. That does help to make each game more distinct and unique beyond just having version exclusive events. I prefer to play during the day because I like the day graphics more, especially when making progress through the storyline, so that will be something I'll have to get used to when playing Moon. Either that or I could try to play a bit during the late afternoon/early evening where I could play through the early morning for Moon. I was hoping for Zygarde to be just given a post storyline event, but if it's main involvement is just for you to collect Cells and Cores to get a Zygarde Complete Form, then I'm okay with that. As long as it doesn't overshadow the new Pokemon and features, it should be fine.

The PokeFinder looks like fun. I love seeing the Alola region already, so taking pictures of Pokemon walking around it in sounds wonderful. Plus, it's the closest thing to a Pokemon Snap 2 that fans have wanted for ages, so that alone is worth while.

The Japanese trailer did reveal Professor Oak's cousin, Samson Oak. I was so sure it was Professor Oak at first, but giving him a cousin works too. Plus, it gives the opportunity to joke about Professor Oak's Alola form. Even the official site made that joke. I could see Samson Oak being used to get Ash to travel to Alola for some reason.

The next trailer is going to come out on Wednesday, which will be after CoroCoro officially comes out. We can get leaks anytime between now and Wednesday. We'll definitely get Rockruff's evolved form since they mentioned that in the previous issues. They could include the starters' middle forms too. This is around the time the fifth and sixth generation starters had their middle form revealed, so we could get that in this issue as well, especially when they may connection with Rockruff's evolution. They emphasized from the start that the Alola starters and Rockruff share some kind of secret, so we could see that in the next CoroCoro issue/trailer. It should be quite interesting when both the leaks and the trailer come out.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MDawg

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. River26

River26 Well-Known Member

Pokemon Official channel updated with more Ultra Pokemon versions

• Like Like x 1
  10. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That new 3DS does look pretty cool. If it was all blue, I'd be all over it, but I'm leading towards getting the Galaxy 3DS if I do choose to upgrade for Sun/Moon. I prefer blue colored systems if I can get them.

The trailer for last week was pretty lackluster though. While seeing the new Ultra Beasts in action and learning that they're version exclusive was pretty neat, that wasn't really enough to warrant a trailer that they announced ahead of time. Part of it could be that they were leaked in the new CoroCoro scan, but there also just wasn't really enough to talk about if they weren't going to explore the Ultra Beasts' role in the overall storyline. It also didn't help that they took awhile to upload the trailer.

At least we'll get some new information tomorrow. The other information from CoroCoro is a guarantee practically, but I hope that we'll get some more juicy information on new Pokemon, evolved forms and maybe a couple of more Alola forms.

My 41,000th post and it is Pokemon related. Awesome.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. MDawg

More game-exclusive Pokemon are revealed. This time around, Sun gets a lemur Pokemon while Moon gets an orangutan and we get official with Rockruf's Sun/Moon evolutions (and yes, Moon's is a werewolf). Also new Z-moves from Pikachu and Eevee plus clothing and customization. also say goodbye to Pokémon-Amie and hello to Pokémon Refresh.

Gotta say I'm happy with my Sun pre-order option so far, but it'll be fun to trade with Moon players.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Does this look like the face of mercy?

Rugby Monkey Confirmed! The Chinese leaks are becoming more and more true with every news briefing. Bring on the snowman Pokémon please. I do like how both the monkeys have skills that are useful in double battles. If they don't suck, I can see them probably being used in VGC as supports. Can you imagine Oranguru using Instruct on your own Mega-Kangaskhan that just used Power-Up Punch? Brutal!

13. Dr.Pepper

I'm still getting Moon but I like Passimion better that Oranguru.

14. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I love Lycanroc so much. I still prefer the Midday form over the Midnight form, but they're both great. I am surprised that the Midnight form isn't part Dark due to the werewolf inspiration, but I think that kind of works. They wouldn't want to give one form more of an advantage than the other, even with the exclusive move the Midday form has. I was already planning on getting a Rockruff for my Sun team, but seeing Lycanroc makes me happier to raise one.

I am surprised that they're version exclusive evolutions. Based on information from the official site, it has something to do with the Legendary Pokemon, so it could factor into the storyline, but it does seem a bit odd. I'm going to get both games, but it's rough for people who have already ordered one game and prefer the other form. You can get someone to trade one with you, but it's not the same as raising a Pokemon and evolving it yourself. That's why I'm a bit nervous if the starters also have version exclusive evolved forms. They may just have different appearances, but the same typing if Lycanroc is any indication, which could work, but there's still the same issue of pre-ordering one game and wanting the other form for your starter.

Passimian and Oranguru are pretty neat. They both have pretty useful abilities that make them perfect fits for Double Battles. Oranguru has the better ability and typing, but I think I like Passimian's design more. Neither one of them really seem like possible team member for me, but they're pretty cool new Pokemon.

Seeing more of the customization is pretty neat. The outfits are nice. I know that people are really happy that we can take off our hats, but I still like wearing them in the game. It's a nice little mark of a new playable trainer, so I do hope that they'll have good hat choices. That was pretty tricky in X/Y, especially when playing as the male trainer. The Fashion Coins seem to be the way to get the clothes and as long as it isn't hard to get them, that should be okay.

Pokemon Refresh looks wonderful. It's an updated Pokemon Amie, but it can heal status conditions and you can groom your Pokemon. That's just adorable. I've been so excited to play with my Popplio in Sun, but doing that with all of my team members will be great. Even the cookies look like hearts in this game, which is so adorable. Now they just need to announce something akin to Super Training and Dex Navi and I'll be a happy camper with the features.

The new Z-Moves are pretty cool too. Pikachu getting an exclusive Z-Move was expected, but seeing the trainer throw Pikachu was just hilarious. I fully expect for Ash to get that eventually in the show. With stuff like Pikachu's own Z-Move, Mimikyu and Alola Raichu, the plot points and episodes write themselves practically. Eevee getting a status boost Z-Move was unexpected. It looks cool, but I don't know if it would be really that handy given how Eevee is not known to be particularly strong. Still, it's pretty neat.

We should get some more news tomorrow and I really hope that we'll get some information of the starters' middle forms. Fans have been eager to see that for a long time and this would be about the time they could officially release them if what happened in the past two generations are any indication. Plus, it would confirm/deny a lot of rumors and leaks that have been floating around for awhile. I just hope that we got some good and interesting news.

• Like Like x 1
  15. MDawg

A new update shows off the evolved forms of the starters along with the Pokemon Festival to hang out with other trainers and earn rewards and a new placed where Pokemon in PC boxes can hang out, the Poke Pelago. You'll also be able to bring in Pokemon from other games that had a Mega Evolution and use the skill in this game. And starting October 18, you'll be able to download a special demo edition of Sun/Moon and play with an exclusive Pokemon, Ash-Greninja. This Pokemon can be transferred over to the full game upon release.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dr.Pepper

I love Torracat. The other ones are kind of derpy.

17. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I really love all of the starters' middle evolutions. Dartrix looks pretty cool. I like its green feather around its head and it looks like a slightly bigger and taller Rowlet. It apparently doesn't like to get dirty, so that might mean it likes to be clean and brushed in Pokemon Refresh more. Torracat looks pretty tough. I've seen people complain that it's just a bigger Litten and I can kind of see that, but I think there's more to it than just that. It's bigger, but it has more developed leg muscles to make it look more intimidating and the fire sac around its neck will probably get bigger evolving into its final form.

Brionne is easily the best of the three for me. I love it so much. It's so adorable and happy. I love that they're keeping up the entertainer vibe by going from circus performer with Popplio to a pop star in Brionne. I especially love that it only shows a sad expression to people or Pokemon that it has opened up its heart completely with. That is just so precious and wonderful. I loved Popplio from the start, but seeing Brionne makes me even happier that I'm choosing one in Sun. Popplio and Brionne just need to be loved so much.

They're all great, but my ranking would be Brionne, Dartrix and Torracat. I do think that this might be the best set of middle stage starter forms we've had in a long time. I'm leading more towards choosing Rowlet after seeing its middle stage, but I still go back and forth on that. If there's another Fire Pokemon like Salandit that I really like that shows up between now and next month, that would make the process easier.

The Pokemon Festival sounds really fun. It sounds like a neat way to collect coins so you can buy clothes and other items. I just hope that the clothes won't be too expensive or that it would take a long time to get enough coins for something. I also still hope that there will be some good hat options in the games. The Poke Pelago sounds really cool. It's a great way to have your Pokemon in the PC be more active. Finding items, catching new Pokemon and getting some training sounds awesome.

I figured that Mega Evolution would be returning, but confirmation is always good. The fact that Mega Pokemon aren't allowed in the next year's video game championship does make me think that we won't get any new ones in Sun/Moon. I'm sure that we'll still get new Mega Pokemon eventually. It's way too useful of a feature for both marketing and competitive game play for them to just use the handful of Mega Pokemon that they already have, but we might just see that for remakes or other games down the road.

News about the demo is pretty cool and Ash-Greninja being confirmed is especially surprising. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised when the Zygarde forms are in the games, but I didn't think that they'd keep the Ash-Greninja name. Although, I guess after using the term for nearly a year, they didn't want to create a new name for it, especially when it has been featured in toys and heavily in the XY series. I'm generally fine with that. It seems weird to promote transferring Greninja to the games, but it's extremely popular for a reason.

Being able to play a demo version of Sun/Moon sounds awesome, but I really hope that it will be better than the OR/AS demo. That just felt so hallow and I didn't like that I had to play it a certain amount of times to get all of the content. I also really hope that people won't hack the demo and get all of the data information on Sun/Moon. It wasn't too bad when it happened in OR/AS since that was a remake with Pokemon we were already familiar with. All that did was reveal that there weren't more new Mega Pokemon besides the one that had been revealed before hand. If people hack the demo and get the leftover data for Sun/Moon, that would reveal the whole Pokedex, which would be a huge amount of spoilers. I'm still going to be playing the demo, but I really hope that I won't find information on the Pokedex later that day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Wow! Thanks for bringing that up. I didn't notice the entertainer aspect of Popplio has kind of transferred to Brionne. That kind of reminds me of Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE. Popplio is so sweet and cute! I really like it. I'm glad I'm choosing one for Sun as well. Dartrix looks nice, but maybe a little too 'cool' with the hair flip thing. Torracat looks fine as well. I prefer Litten's design and Rowlet's design was really nice as well, but their middle forms look good.

I'm also happy Ash-Greninja will be available with the demo! I wanted to have Greninja so much for this game, so the demo is like my dreams coming true. Adding him to my copy of the game from the demo, especially since it's Ash-Greninja specifically, is really cool. And I don't mind the name Ash-Greninja since that's what everyone knows this version of Greninja as. It doesn't mean Ash is in the games all of a sudden.

By the way, I really appreciate reading your opinions about this game. I find them very well-thought out and meaningful. Quite a pleasure to read and a great display of your personality.

19. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Given what the possible leaked final evolution is, it makes sense to keep that entertainer aspect of Popplio for all of its evolved forms. I like Dartrix, but I can see what you mean about it might look a bit too cool with the hair flip.

They may allude to Ash in the game. They already threw in a Mega Evolution Special reference in OR/AS since Steven referred to Alain, but that's probably the extent of Ash's presence in the games. It would be kind of surprising to see Ash show up in the games, but that's probably not going to happen. After about a year of calling this form Ash-Greninja, I guess it would be strange to call it anything else at this point.

That's so sweet of you to say. Thank you. I always enjoy talking about Pokemon and I'm there will be more to say even before we get the games next month. There will be quite a bit to talk about when the games come out. Trying to avoid spoilers by that point will be pretty difficult, but playing through the games will definitely be fun. I'm already imagining using Pokemon Refresh for my Popplio the first chance I get to use it.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. MDawg

A new update and a new slew of Pokemon and their evolutions and new abilities along with the Alolan variants of Muk and Grimer and more characters you'll encounter in the game.

Edit: Before you ask, no, Grimer does not have teeth.

• Like Like x 1
    #120 MDawg, Oct 14, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2016