1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Sun and Moon Anime Discussion

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by Marc Johnson, Sep 4, 2016.

1. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

I'm saying you can't be happy, I'm voicing my frustrations towards the subject because it feels pointless and pandering.

2. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

I think Serena's cameo will happen sometime next year in SM. I also highly suspect Ash's Greninja will return once the anime gets into the Ultra Beast/Lusamine arc toward the end. It's noticeable Ash has no water pokemon on his SM team and there's not many options left for a capture. They could treat Greninja in SM like they did Charizard in BW and have it on his roster for the last arc.

So far the only old character to never get any cameo was Iris, so unless you're not her...or Max, all old characters come back at some point or another.

3. Lillie~

Lillie~ In the bag Nebby

I'd rather not see Greninja or Serena return to be honest. I was never really a fan of Greninja and I don't want Serena to return if her only reason of coming back is to push amourshipping some more without telling us how she progressed offscreen.

I think iris not returning might have something to do with her va since I heard on another forum that her va is popular and is expensive to use as a va.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. A Brisk Autumn Day

Eh, I would've been thrilled a while ago, but it's too late for me to be excited. I also have a feeling that the execution won't be that great. And it's like, without their original voices, original personalities, or even really without the vibes/atmosphere of the anime that were present in X and Y, I really just don't find myself caring. This season almost feels like an alternate universe anyway.

5. fsaenz0125

fsaenz0125 Active Member

The fandom on Twitter are already arguing about it, and I gotta the Pokemon anime community can get very immature sometimes (cough XY fans)

I wasn't excepting this at all, but whatever make the Original Series fans happy (those who stopped watching the show after Johto, despite not knowing that Brock actually continued traveling with Ash until Sinnoh and Misty's AG appearances).

6. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

I think some of those people are largely complaining about the new SM designs for Misty/Brock or Ash, and how they don't look like they did 20 years ago in the OS. Some people had no idea the art style changed in SM if they hadn't watched the series in years, so they see all the characters and they look younger than they did in Kanto.

If Misty/Brock cameo'd in XY instead, they'd all be drawn older looking and more mature like Ash was that saga.

7. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's been ages since Tracy even had a speaking role, so that would be nice for him to show up. I'd love it if they would showcase all of the different characters throughout the series, but we'll just have to see how that works out.

As for Mega Evolution, it's possible that it's to tie in with US/UM if Mega Evolution has more focus/present in those games. One of the episode titles is also about Z-Moves vs. Mega Evolution, so they may also want to have a clash between the two mechanics.

I don't quite understand. It isn't like they're joining the main cast. They're appearing for two episodes. Maybe they'll show up again later, but I don't think that they're worried how many other characters already fulfill their roles in the show. They're going for a treat for long time fans, introducing them to new fans and basically being a treat for the 20th anniversary of the anime. The fact that it's been so long since Misty showed up is a big reason as to why fans are happy to see her. Just getting to see them in something new, learn about what they've been up to sounds nice and get some character interactions sounds nice on paper.

There would definitely be a lot of fans happy over Serena's return at least. She was fairly popular and people liked her pairing with Ash. If anything, this announcement provide gives more fans hope that she could come back somehow. I don't know how many kids really care about Misty or Brock, but that's part of the reason for bringing them back. It gives them a chance to introduce them to new fans while still celebrating the anime's anniversary. There would still be people happy if they brought back the XY cast, but after how the back

I've seen this complaint elsewhere and it kind of confuses me. We don't know how the episodes will be or what kind of impact they'll have, so it's far too early to say that it feels pointless. Same with pandering. It is done for 20th anniversary nostalgia, but dismissing it as just being pandering seems a bit odd to me. It's as if giving long time fans a bone is now a bad thing, even though most fans thought that they wouldn't appear again, especially after the most recent movie.

Personally, I'd like to see Ash catch a Dewpider. It's been awhile since he caught a Bug type and it would be something different for his team. While I suspect that Ash will get Greninja back at some point, I don't think I'd want it to get the Charizard treatment exactly. It would just take up attention away from Ash's other Pokemon due to its popularity and there are still options for him among the new Water type Pokemon. Plus, it's a bit too early to say that he won't catch any Water type Pokemon. Returning once they cover the Ultra Beasts stuff sounds plausible, but I don't know if I'd make that a highly likely option either.

As for Iris, I'm pretty sure she didn't come back because of how expensive her voice actress is, how there wasn't really a reason to bring her to Kalos without being forced like it was for Dawn's return and possibly because the character wasn't particularly popular. Max would be kind of hard to bring over when he doesn't travel with May anymore and he doesn't even have his own Pokemon like Bonnie does.

That does seem to be a common complaint. It's a bit annoying since people are acting like the designs are ruining the reunion already. I can understand not being a fan of the SM designs, but after not seeing these characters for years, one would think that they'd be fine with anything. Out of the three, only Misty looks younger and that's because she has a softer design around her face. Brock looks more thin to me rather than being young. I don't think that there would have been a reason to bring them back for XY, but I don't think that they'd be more mature or older looking in that style. It might have been a bit closer to the OS art design, but I don't think I'd say that all of the characters in that series had designs that made them look older or more mature. Serena and Clemont certainly didn't.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

So a special preview for the two-parter aired on Japanese TV, and I have to admit...it really did get some nostalgia flowing.

There's a lot to unpack here. Some other fan-favorites like Bulbasaur and Jigglypuff will be appearing (and others via flashbacks), Misty and Brock have certainly kept some facets of their personality, and it turns out the whole class is coming to Kanto.

Interestingly, the flashbacks still use the current animation.

• Like Like x 1
  9. WickedChild

WickedChild Kissing the shadows

It'd be nice if the fans on Twitter would redirect the energy they're using to pointlessly argue about SM character designs to instead inform TPC en masse that Rachael Lillis is in fact still working. The most depressing outcome of this to me would be hearing Michele Knotz's post-lobotomy May voice coming out of Misty's mouth. Once, in the rightly completely-forgotten dub-only Mirage special, was more than enough, thankyouverymuch. Rachael even came back to the show as a different character (Maylene) for a few episodes, post-4Kids. There's zero reason they couldn't and shouldn't bring her back for this.

Also where's that guy who used to post on here every chance he could that Misty would NEVER, EVER come back to the show, even for a cameo, because EVERYONE had forgotten her? Guessing he's hiding under a rock somewhere.

10. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Oh man, I hadn't even thought of that. Yeah, Rachael Lillis is Misty for me, so U'd be disappointed if they didn't get her back.

11. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

As cool as it would be to hear Rachael Lillis voice Misty again, she did move out to California, so that might make it difficult for her to reprise the role. While she did voice Maylene back in DP, I'm not sure if she'd want to reprise her role of Misty without the other original voice actors, which sadly isn't going to happen. Granted, I think Bill Rogers also moved out of New York awhile ago, but they'd probably be more willing to work with him to voice Brock again than to get any of the other original voice actors back. If she could come back, that would be awesome and there might be a decent chance for it, even though I don't think she's worked with the TPCI dub since DP, but I wouldn't bet on it either.

The trailer was also really nice. Ash's happiness over seeing Brock again was so sweet. Brock being too love dazed to recognize Ash and Misty pulling his ear was expected, but the happiness over seeing them again was sweet. The flashbacks were so nice too. They would draw them again to match with the current animation. They did the same thing with the Charizard flashbacks during BW, but I just liked that they did refer to events during Johto too. Johto was part of the original series too, so it was nice that they made some nods to that part of the series. I figured that the whole class would take part in the field trip. A part of me is worried that they'll have too much to do within two episodes, especially with Team Rocket joining in, but I do like the idea of Ash's old and new friends meeting each other. Misty and Lana could get along well due to their love of Water Pokemon. I could see Brock and Kiawe hitting it off and maybe he and Mallow could bond over their love of cooking too. I also kind of wonder how Team Rocket will react to seeing Misty and Brock again.

I figured that they'd bring back the Misty and Brock's running gags, but they're even bringing back Jigglypuff when it was last seen in Hoenn. I wasn't a huge fan of that gag and I think it makes less sense now. It worked back in the original series, but there are moves and abilities that would prevent Pokemon from falling asleep due to Jigglypuff's song. That's one reason why I didn't mind that it disappeared. I just figured it found some Pokemon that could stay awake during its song at last. Still, they want to go all out with the OS nostalgia, so I'm okay with that.

I do hope that we'll see some of the non-Kanto Pokemon. Ash's Bulbasaw looked so happy to see him again and it would be neat to get at least another group photo like we had at the end of BW. I still like the idea of Misty pulling Brock's and Croagunk giving him a Poison Jab at the same time too, but they may want to focus primarily on first generation Pokemon due to the Alola forms and OS nostalgia. Steelix might be the only exception so that Brock can have a Mega Pokemon too, but we'll have to see. It would be kind of too bad if we don't see any of their non-Kanto Pokemon, but it wouldn't be a huge deal breaker. I'm positive that we'll see Misty's Psyduck at least and maybe her Corsola given how it was her main battlers during the last year of Johto. There's a lot of hype and potential for these episodes, so I hope that they'll do a good job and that the fans will be happy with them.

12. WickedChild

WickedChild Kissing the shadows

Not having the rest of the original cast there shouldn't be an issue since, unlike Ash & Brock, Misty never had another voice (again outside of the forgotten Mirage special, which if you recall was the very first thing with the non-4Kids cast). So it's not like it'd be weird for fans who are used to Sarah Natochenny and who remember Bill Rogers. Geography shouldn't really be an issue either since it's common these days for VAs to record their parts in different locations, especially in anime where they don't record together in the same room. In reality, TPCI probably doesn't care enough to bring either back, but if they go to the trouble of bringing Bill Rogers back but not Rachael Lillis, I'm gonna have a big problem with that.

13. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That's true. As much as I do like the original cast, the TPCI dub has been doing their roles longer at this point and kids watching the show would be familiar with at least Sara Natochenny's voice for Ash. I'm not sure how many of the target demographic would be familiar with Bill Roger's Brock though. He left at the end of DP and that was quite awhile ago, but they would be more familiar with his voice than with Eric Stuart's. Still, a lot of kids have had the TPCI dub for their first exposure to the show and that is an important detail to keep in mind. The nostalgia factor would weaken a bit for a long time fan like me, but that might be the case for people who first saw the show through the TPCI dub.

I would still greatly prefer Rachael Lillis coming back. I remember how Misty sounded in that Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon special too and like most everything in that special, I also thought it was quite bad. I'm not sure if they'd recast Brock, but I do feel like Bill Rogers has a better chance here out of the two. TPCI may not ask Rachael Lillis to come back, but I could also see her not wanting to reprise her role without her other former cast members involved.

14. PF9

PF9 Member

I grew up with the 4Kids dub as well. I'm excited for Misty returning, I'm a Pokeshipper BTW.

15. Rhaynebow

Rhaynebow Well-Known Member

Well, let's remember that the mirage special was a testing ground for the new VAs. I think Michele has done a wonderful job as Jessie, she's arguably one of the better voices out of the not-so-new new cast because it sounds like she can speak with more than one tone (*shoots a brief look at Sarah*). So hopefully, her years of practice will show and she can separate her May voice and Jessie voice and give Misty a good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

Who are you referring to here....me? lol.

To be fair, it's literally been 12 years since she last appeared. Virtually everyone thought it was unlikely for her to ever appear again outside of stuff like flashbacks because the writers literally hadn't had her appear since mid-AG in 2005. When Misty didn't get a cameo in the DP series at all (and that saga went on 4 years and nearly 200 episodes), it made it obvious the writers were moving on. That along with BW, XY, and Movie 20 all not including her seemed to cement that. And as said, the only reason she and Brock are appearing together is for the obvious 20th anniversary, otherwise we wouldn't be seeing them now either.

After this 2-parter ends don't expect to see Misty/Brock again for the next 10 years until the 30th annivsersary...lol.

17. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Small update: promotional artwork released.

18. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Okay

19. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

20. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

Tracey's not in this, oddly. His VA isn't listed on the summaries and he's not in the preview. Oh well, I wonder why they completely ignored him.

For Ash's old pokemon it seems we also may only see his Kanto-era pokemon. For one thing Ash has like 40 something pokemon at Oak's now, and I don't think the writers could bother to animate all 40 of them. We see Bulbasaur, Muk and Tauros in the preview. We'll probably see Kingler and Snorlax, but that might be it. I don't know if Charizard and Squirtle could get an appearance unless they have them visit quickly. We may not even see the Johto pokemon either even though they're part of the OS.