1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Sun and Moon Anime Discussion

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by Marc Johnson, Sep 4, 2016.

1. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

Pokemon discussion died down everywhere anime wise. Bulbagarden, serebii, pokecommunity, etc. Also tumblr had a huge pokeani fandom comprised of old forum users and they don't really discuss SM as much either, but mostly the older characters or sagas. Even stuff like /vp/ doesn't care about SM much.

The anime isn't as popular in the 2010's as it was in the early/mid 2000's either. People easily forget we're in a new decade now, AG and DP aired in the early and mid 2000's when most of the fanbase was younger and the show was still popular ratings wise both in Japan and the west. The anime's viewership declined in the 2010's with BW, XY and SM, and they have the 3 lowest ratings of all the sagas even in Japan. Granted I know nowadays people watch the show online more than on TV anymore, but that's not the only case why viewership is done. Places like animenewsnetwork have the ratings for Pokemon SM and XY week after week in Japan, you guys can check them if you want.

I guess that's expected though, even by the time DP was ending most people were ready for Ash's arc to end and that was way back in 2010. Now here we are 3 gens later. People got hyped for XY because they thought it was the "last chance" for things to go back in the direction DP started, but now that that's over too and we have SM, we realize it was just for that one particular saga.

2. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I haven't checked Serebii forums for years, but that was never the best place for discussion anyway. Serebii is a good place for information, but the forums are just terrible. I do still see some discussions over SM, so it's not like it has completely disappeared. It is noticeably different compared to the last couple of series, but it's not like no one is talking about SM at all.

I thought that the ratings for SM were an improvement over XY. Perhaps that's still lower than other series or I'm mistaken, but I haven't heard about them being lower than XY's ratings at least. It's hard to really take the low ratings as a solid indication of how well the series are received among fans though. The TV landscape has changed drastically and people are watching more shows online than live on TV. I'm not sure how ratings are gathered in Japan, but the way it's done in the U.S. makes it even harder to take it as a solid indication of a show's performance when only some houses have Nelison cable boxes. It's an outdated and inaccurate way to gauge a show's popularity/success, especially when there have been plenty of shows with poor ratings or early cancellation that end up more popular/well received after the fact.

Besides all that, I don't think that the ratings matter all that much for a show like Pokemon. The anime exist to promote the games and create/tie-with other merchandise. As long as the games and toys keep selling well enough, the show will keep going regardless of the ratings. They may not be completely unimportant, but they aren't going to determine the fate of the series like they could for a long running non-toyetic anime series.

I'm not sure if being the main character for three series is really so much of an arc or if people wanted him to be written off of the show back during DP. There definitely were and still are people who want Ash to be replaced, but I remember more people hoping/expecting Ash to win the Sinnoh League instead of just wanting him to be gone. Same thing with XY since people were way more excited for the Kalos League and I can see why. While Ash vs. Paul had years of buildup and emotional weight behind it due to Infernape's storyline, there wasn't someone like Tobias who would clearly defeat Ash and having a special Ash-Greninja made people more determined that he'd win for once. I was firmly in the camp that the match would end in a draw or be interrupted and I kind of wish that had happened instead. There seemingly wasn't a reason for Ash to lose besides just keeping the status quo and it's kind of sad knowing that people probably won't get that excited for another Pokemon League arc in the anime again. If Ash couldn't defeat Alain after losing twice with his special Greninja, then that does make the idea of Ash winning in another series even less likely.

3. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

In news that should make a lot of people on this thread happy, Misty and Brock will be appearing in a two-part episode starting on September 14.

Interestingly, they seem to be wearing their original get-ups.

4. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

Kind of excited.

Oh, gee, if they went through with this...it'd be the most talk about anything Pokemon since Pokemon Go.

5. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That would be so hilarious and weird if they actually did go through with that, but it would cause the online community to explode at the same time.

Anyway, I'm pretty surprised by this turn of event. I didn't expect this to happen, but I'm happy. I've missed Brock and while I'm not a big Misty fan, it's still nice to see her too. Getting a chance to see both characters in new episodes and see what they've been up to sounds like fun. It's throwing a bone to long time fans and giving kids the chance to learn more about Misty and Brock. It is kind of weird to see them in their original outfits alongside Ash in his new one, but it's 20th anniversary nostalgia, so that's fine. I definitely didn't think that they'd have Mega Pokemon, especially when this generation hasn't been doing much with that mechanic. There's a much stronger focus on Z-Moves and Alola forms by comparisons, but it's still pretty neat. It's especially cool when they're referencing Pokemon that they got during AG, as well as Brock studying to be a Pokemon Doctor.

It's clear that this is there way to help celebrate the 20th anniversary of the anime, but I also wonder if they're hinting at some developments for US/UM. The games could focus more on Mega Pokemon and maybe even a visit to Kanto. While I'd like them to flesh out and expand Alola more instead, it wouldn't be too shocking if we headed to Kanto during those games too. I also kind of hope that this opens the door for other characters to appear again. If Misty and Brock can come back after not being shown for years, then maybe other traveling companions showing up might not be as much of an unlikely scenario by comparison. It would still probably have to tie in with a new game, but it's still hopefully something that can happen a bit more often, or at least be not such a rarity. There were fans that thought that the writers stopped doing the old characters return after XY. I just hope that the episodes turn out well and fans will be happy.

6. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

Misty is more likely to be dating Tracey, they've been toying around with Orangeshipping since the AG era. After XY just recently ended with Serena kissing Ash, there's no way they're going to do any old Misty hints with Ash anymore.

Fun fact: This is Misty's first appearance in the anime since mid-AG in 2005. Misty hadn't appeared in the anime in literally 12 years, not counting flashbacks, and missed 3 series in a row (DP, BW and XY). I never expected her to appear again, especially with the way the writers stop bringing back old characters after their last cameo ended. As for Brock while I didn't like him in DP, I don't mind seeing him again for 2 episodes. SM's new designs and their old outfits though is jarring.

If anything this kind of opens the door for more old character cameos later on. I wouldn't be surprised if a year from now we see Serena or Greninja return for a short cameo arc, similar to Dawn/Charizard back in BW.

7. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

Wooooooooow, really awesome/surprising, cool to finally see Misty/Brock return, yaaaaaaay, they've been my favorite best classic traveling companion characters ever since when Pokemon first came, lots of great nostalgia memories:D, but odd that they're in their original outfits with Ash in a new outfit, but love their new designs.Cool that they have Mega Pokemon, a Mega Steelix and Mega Gyarados, pretty awesome.Brock being a Pokemon Doctor is sweet.I'm so glad it's no Iris return as much as I dislike Iris.

Cool that they're celebrating its 20th anniversary of Pokemon which that's awesome, but I hope to see Greninja, Serena, and Clemont/Bonnie return pretty soon as well.

#127 Radical, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  8. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

Well jeez the return of Misty and Brock something really special here and in their original clothing what a gift for a 20th anniversary, well that just really gave a worse effect to the movie -_-.

9. Lillie~

Lillie~ In the bag Nebby

I don't think they're SM designs are that bad; actually I think the new design looks better for Misty.
    Also for other characters coming back, possibly but I wouldn't get too excited about it happening.
    Anyways glad to see Misty and Brock back.

10. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I could see them doing some hints from Misty's perspective at least, but I think fans in general are just happy to see her again.

I like their new designs. Misty in particular looks nice. The design makes her look a bit younger, but I think it's because she has a more energetic look in her eyes. Brock has a softer outline around his head, his hair looks a bit shorter and his vest is randomly missing two pockets for some reason, but he looks fine. They'll look better in motion hopefully, but the designs themselves are fine.

I kind of like the idea of going on field trips to other regions to meet other characters. That would help to make it feel more like a anniversary celebration if we see the other traveling companions. I don't know if they'd go that far, but it would be neat and I do hope that this makes it more likely for older characters to return in some format. Even with Iris not showing up in XY, I didn't think that they had stopped the tradition completely. There was just no reason to bring Iris to Kalos without it being forced and she wasn't particularly popular either. If Serena didn't get something during SM's run, then that would have been a different story since she was fairly popular at least.

I'm also happy for Misty's Japanese voice actress. From what I've heard, she has been wanting to come back to do the role for years and she can finally do that.

I don't know if that makes the movie worse necessarily. They would have had this episode planned out by the time the second trailer for the movie came out at least. This could just further explain why Misty and Brock weren't in the movie if they had already decided to save them for the TV show, especially when the movie's main focus is Ash and Pikachu's beginning journey. Having two episodes focused on their return could potentially give them more focus than they could have in the movie anyway.

11. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Two images from the upcoming two-parter have been released.

Misty looks very moe in that second picture. :p

• Like Like x 1
  12. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

Yeah, Misty is probably going to be more girly or friendly in this cameo. I think people expecting her Season 1 personality with her temper/arguments are going to be surprised, they did away with that aspect of her personality awhile ago. Besides that SM's style of writing is nothing like the OS, and with SM Ash also being different than his old self, I'd expect the original trio's interactions to be very different than what people are used to. I think a lot of those old obsessive original trio fans who haven't watched the anime in 10 years will be a bit shocked how different their characters will be portrayed. So anyone looking for the return of Season 1 style dynamic will likely be disappointed.

Brock will probably be more or less the same as he always is. Especially if there's no girls around to flirt with so I don't know.

13. Hypeathon

Hypeathon Well-Known Member

Well, Misty did get a new bike from Ash and Brock (I think it was them. Honestly my memory of certain details in the old series have gotten hazy) and spent a lot of time minding the Cerulean gym. Maybe she sobered up a lot.

But seriously, I'm more inclined to believe in the reason you gave.

14. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm sure that there are fans who definitely want more of the season one dynamics, but given how long it's been since Misty showed up, I think most fans are just happy that they bothered to include her at all. There are a lot of Misty fans and while I don't like her character that much myself, not seeing one of your favorite characters in something new for over a decade when they're still making a new series every few years can be bothersome to say the least. There are plenty of fans who will take what they can get when it comes to older characters and people are just happy to see the original trio back together for a couple of episodes. The fewer pockets in Brock's vest still throws me off though.

The most of season one's aspects I could see them doing would be the return of Misty's fear of bugs and Brock's gag. I never did like the whole pulling Brock's ear that Misty started during Johto, but having her do that right after Croagunk hits him with a Poison Jab could make the gag hilarious. Although, I don't know if we'll see any of their Pokemon besides Steelix and Gyarados either, but the idea is nice.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's neat that these characters are coming back for a few episodes. I hope this means Tracy, Gary, and all of Ash's old friends and rivals make appearances throughout Sun and Moon. I hope we get to see all of Ash's old Pokemon too.

I wonder why they are showing up, aside from showing off Mega forms. I didn't know Mega evolutions were a thing in SM, so I thought they were done promoting them. Is this a rating stunt or something?

16. StorytellerMJ5

StorytellerMJ5 Active Member

Probably just to celebrate the 20th anniversary. What better way than to unite the original trio once more?

17. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

Controversial opinion here, but I really wish they didn't come back.

The anime hasn't missed a beat without them, and them being back feels superfluous and pandering while taking time away from the current side characters, not to mention being slightly redundant with Brock's character and role already cut between Rotom, Kukui, and to a lesser extent Mallow and Kiwae.

I can't even think what Misty is going to do after all this time since the last we saw her was all the way back in AG.

18. StorytellerMJ5

It's only for two episodes (that we know of), so I don't really know if it's taking time from the current crew. It's no different than when Misty, May and Dawn came back for a few episodes. It's just a little fun for fans of those characters.

19. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

And fans wouldn't be happy if Serena, Clemont, or Bonnie came back? At least then the characters wouldn't feel as redundant with Clemont being only comparable to Sophocles. Do today's kids even care about Misty or Brock?

20. StorytellerMJ5

Lots of people would be happy if any or all of those three came back. Myself included.

And I'm not really sure redundancy matters since we don't even know if the Alola crew is coming with him. I think I saw some where that it's a field trip, so they probably are. But, even then watching them interact with Brock and Misty will be fun, IMO. Just like it was in the past.

And today's kids probably don't care about Brock and Misty much, but this is probably more for the anniversary and nostalgia anyway.