Pokemon Anime director interview with Masamitsu Hidaka

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by CyberCubed, Jul 3, 2008.

1. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

For those of you that still follow the Pokemon anime, a reputable website got an interview with one of the main Pokemon anime directors/storyboard artists.

Its an interesting read, so for those who want to see the article.

http://pokebeach.com/

Cliffnotes:

Basically the interview confirms that Misty will never be a main character again with a "flat-out no" in regards to her return, (although most of us already realized this for years now, this is the first official confirmation directly from the horses mouth), and that she'll only continue to make small cameo appearances in future seasons.

Ash seeing Ho-oh is a plot device, we may eventually meet Ash's father in a future season, and that the show didn't want to offend anyone regarding the infamous Porygon and Jynx fiasco.

All in all, I found it interesting.

2. Sarada

Sarada Active Member

This stuff is hot! I was hoping he would at least ask about whether or not Sakaki/Giovanni would be able to play a bigger role but I guess no beans. :(

I wonder how far in advance designs are finalized for new Pokémon and whether or not he would be able to see said designs. For all we know a sixth generation could be finished.

3. D Dubbs

D Dubbs Wish Upon A Star

Heh, so even Hidaka disapproves of the 4Kids to PUSA voice actor switch...

It was an interesting read, but he didn't give us a lot of valuable information.

What is Ho-Oh's purpose?
    "A plot device."

Will Ash's father ever reappear?
    "Maybe."

Yeah...

4. zoombie

zoombie Active Member

I think he just misinturputed the question, we all know she is not coming back as regular, but weather she would make any guest appearances, that is a reasonable question, and a reasonable possibility. Not only is May going to make an appearance, but Gary as already appeared. Old characters returning for a few episodes is not uncommon.

5. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Yo-Kai Son!

Eh SPOILER ALERT:

6. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

I think what the director meant is Misty has pretty much become the next Tracey. Both Misty and Tracey have jobs back in Kanto and the writers probably intend to leave them there for the rest of the series. Max was pretty much left back with his parents the same way.

I'm actually surprised we got a flat-out "no" on that though. I would have expected something like, "Well maybe if the opportunity presents itself in the future," but dang, a harsh "no?"

Makes me wonder if Misty won't appear again until Ash returns to Pallet Town after D/P ends. Too bad the guy didn't ask what May would be up to next.

7. zoombie

zoombie Active Member

Well I think he has been ask about Misty many times, and it temper just got the better of him. It is strange though, because Misty got a mention in the first DP season, with the fishing rod.

Speaking of Tracey, I forgot regular characters can leave and than comeback as regulars, Brock left and came back. I always wondered about that, did they get negative feedback to Brock's depature, and decide to bring him back for good?

Though the role Brock plays on the show, as the second guy in the group, is less sugnificant than the lead girl. The female lead is real important to what direction they want to go, that they just can't change it back on a weam, like they did with Brock and Tracey.

8. Mad Mod 49

Mad Mod 49 New Member

Sadly, this only reinforced my low opinion of Hidaka as a director and the Pokemon anime. Ho-oh is just a plot device to "show how special Ash is", eh? Such wasted, wasted potential. I certainly do not regret tuning off from this show. :yawn:

9. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

I'm not positive, but I do recall reading somewhere that more people were disappointed with Brock being replaced with Tracy and wanted him back. I could be mixing that up with something else though.

Anyway, that's definitely an interesting interview. We already knew that Misty would never be a main character again for years and I'm honestly glad that's the case. While she was interesting during Kanto and parts of the Orange Island, she just became less interesting during Johto. I think that they could have done something with her to make her more interesting, such as actually training her Pokemon and even doing something with Togepi other than just hold it in her arms all the time, but they didn't. I'm sure that we'll see her again as we always get to see the older former main characters at some point, but only for like a special event or episode.

Ho-Oh being a plot device isn't too surprising. While I do agree that they could have a lot more potential with Ho-Oh than just a mere plot device, I don't think that the writers wanted to go that far with Ho-Oh. Which could be bad or good, depending on your perspecitive.

As for Ash's father, I'm kind of surprised that his grandfather was mentioned as well. I guess that Ash would be the third male geneartion to go off and see the world as a Pokemon trainer. I'm not surprised that we basically get a "Maybe," as an answer to if we'll ever see his father. I've often thought that if the writers would bring up Ash's father if they wanted to give him some character development.

I thought that it was interesting to hear his response on the voice actor change. Even though it was a couple of years ago, some fans still not completely liking the change, with me being one of them. I have heard how a Japanese cast in an anime wouldn't be changed like that because of how they operate differently than American companies do in that department. So, even though we knew most of the stuff in the interview, other than Ash's family stuff, it was still pretty interesting to read.

10. Rolling Cloud

Rolling Cloud ...too early....

Second Interview with Masamitsu Hidaka - Many Interesting Points!

Same guys, new stuff.

11. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

I guess now we know why the dropped the GS ball. :sweat:

12. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING

Clearly, the interviewer should have dropped the questions regarding the show here in America. The director couldn't really answer them(except for the background music part).

13. D Dubbs

D Dubbs Wish Upon A Star

Wow! So American dubbing companies actually have to pay for the original background music?! I always thought it came with the show. I guess that explains why 4Kids and PUSA replace most (if not all) of the show's background music.

14. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

Notice how the director didn't exactly say Brock would be there forever?

It seems Ash and Pikachu will never be replaced, and I assume Team Rocket will remain too, but that the female character will indeed continue to rotate each generation. I hope the 5th gen is still a bit off so Dawn gets more episodes before she has to leave.

I also like how he indirectly confirmed there will be a 5th generation and many generations to come, lol. We'll be in the year 2020 and there will still be Ash and Pikachu collecting badges in region #5 or 6.

15. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Yo-Kai Son!

Well for this generation I can understand why they wouldn't use the boy trainer since he does look, and dress alot like Ash. Though at least it did answer my question about licensing music for animes, and how long an episode takes to be made.

16. AxeltheNavy

AxeltheNavy boyz

Are they allergic to frsh new ideas? A new male lead wouldn't hurt!

17. Rud

Rud Nine Arts Dragon

Ash isnt just any lead, he is the main character. The entire show has to revolve around him, you cant just replace him.

18. zoombie

zoombie Active Member

They could have done that a long time ago, but it is too late now. They can't go down the replace everybody like they do on Digimon.

I think Pikachu is more important than Ash.

19. D Dubbs

D Dubbs Wish Upon A Star

Yeah, if Ash goes, so does Pikachu. And ditching Pikachu is something the anime produces would never dream of doing.

20. Rae78

Rae78 New Member

His response about the VA change is interesting. I'd wondered if the Japanese would treat their voice actors with so little respect and consideration. Looks like they actually care about them.