1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Pokémon Moves to Disney XD

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Takao, Nov 17, 2016.

1. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

They lost production time, even though they were made by a different studio than Pokémon? I'm not sure how that happens.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

No because Pokemon was able to air for free so WB didnt have to pay to make their own programming. that's why they cancelled those shows.

3. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

Yeah, that's what got a lot of WBA series canceled according to Tom Ruegger's Reddit. (And yet, The Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries continued chugging on.)

I also recall that was around the time of The Cat and Birdy Warneroonie Pinky Brainy Big Cartoonie Show! (can't believe I remembered the name). which I was guess was the final bow of the WB 'toons (and some say it was an excuse to air the last of Pinky, Elmyra, and The Brain).

4. PinkiePie97

Okay. For some reason, I was thinking of production focus being shifted to Pokémon, but I can understand cancelling them since they didn't have to pay to make Pokémon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

"Free"? WB had to pay licensing fees for Pokemon, so it's was definitely not free for WB. However, I'll bet that initially, it was cheaper to license outside programming than to pay for new production, especially because Pokemon became a thing when anime was still very much a niche industry and Japan really didn't think about outside markets very much.

I will also bet that this did not last for terribly long, since Pokemon was one of the titles that launched that particular anime wave which became huge. In fact, its success ended up making life harder for a lot of the older anime companies -- I recall the head of Central Park Media saying at a con that he couldn't afford to license new programs because everyone in Japan was demanding licensing fees as though their stuff was the next Pokemon or Naruto. I suspect that trend is why so many US-oriented anime companies shut down.

At this point, I suspect licensing a title as big as Pokemon is not actually cheaper than making a brand new show, or if it is it's not by much. But even if it is more expensive than new production, there are enough side benefits that it'll easily be worth it for a company like Disney to pay for Pokemon rather than gamble on a new show.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That really had nothing to do with what I said and it seems pretty irrelevant to this topic in general. As others have pointed out, the license for Pokemon isn't free, so Disney did pay money to get the license to air the series. It most likely was cheap for Kids' WB to get it back in the day and its success did result in the channel being less interested in making original shows, but given its success right now, I doubt that it's as cheap for them to air it now as it was back when the show was just starting out.

7. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

Yeah I never meant free as in not paying, of course they paid for rights butpaying for the right was cheap than rather make new productions

8. PinkiePie97

The first promo for Pokémon on Disney XD:

• Like Like x 4
  9. SparkleMan

SparkleMan Well-Known Member

WAIT
    Before reading the beginning of the theread, they're airing XY. WHAT?

10. PinkiePie97

The listings on Screener say they are, but that's an error. It's really the Sun and Moon sneak peek.

11. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

Yeah I figured, I heard XY is over soon, speaking of which I still have to watch the remaining English dubs from xy132-xy140.

12. ECDT1089

ECDT1089 That Car Genius

Classic Toon Disney-style promo! Disney XD is still Toon Disney at heart.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

That's actually the 19th movie not the anime.

14. ECDT1089

ECDT1089 That Car Genius

According to Xfinity, after Monday the sneak peaks will air Tuesday-Friday at 5pm.

15. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

Seems generous for XD to air them that often again on the exact same times.

16. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That was a pretty nice promo and I'm glad that they were focusing on the movie as well as the sneak peek. I keep forgetting about the movie due to the hype for the new games and series. I'm also glad that they are reairing the sneak peek the following day. These are promising signs that Disney XD will handle the series well, or at least better than what Cartoon Network has been doing. I'm not sure when we'll find out about when the series will premiere proper, but hopefully it will be early on next year with a good timeslot, reruns and availability on their On Demand section.

17. Riley

Riley Everything's the fault of a Yo-kæi™

Sun and Moon now has its own Zap2it listing. Past the sneak peek, there are no new episodes in the remainder of December; looks like it'll wait until January.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

18. DeanBurrito25

DeanBurrito25 Well-Known Member

Like I said, XD isn't letting this acquisition slip through their fingers. That was a pretty swell advertisement.

19. PinkiePie97

Yeah, I'm guessing it won't start until sometime after XYZ finishes on Cartoon Network.

20. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It would be kind of strange to see one Pokemon series start when the previous one hasn't finished yet. Granted, it's not like we'd really need to see the end of XY to understand the SM series, but it would be a bit weird when that hasn't happened before.

Depending on how Cartoon Network handles the rest of XY, I could see a February premiere on Disney XD. There should be about three episodes left once we get to January and unless Cartoon Network burns off the rest of the series quickly, which is sadly plausible, that means it will be another three weeks before XY ends. I suppose that they could just have SM the week after XY wraps up on Cartoon Network, but I'm not sure if they'll do that. Part of it could be how I'm used to Cartoon Network starting a new series or season around February as well.

21. Cosmo

Cosmo New Poster. Old Lurker.

Good for XD for promoting this, something CN hasn't done the best job of lately. I can't wait for to be a regularly aired show on XD. I hope they give the new episode airings a good spot. I'm personally hyped! :D