1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Pokémon Moves to Disney XD

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Takao, Nov 17, 2016.

1. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

I know they've done it with the current Spiderman cartoon. Though Disney would probably be pushing it with having more than two "series" of Pokemon. It might be a good idea to have any further series put on a website as to keep the show without breaking their "make room for new shows" rule.

2. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

Would that be so bad? The thing about Walk the Prank is that it only has 20 episodes. The other shows Disney XD has been airing to hell are Phineas and Ferb, Lab Rats, and Gravity Falls, with 136, 90, and 40 episodes respectively. Pokemon has more than all of those combined. If they "overaired" Pokemon, it wouldn't bother me as much because with over 930 episodes, it would not be redundant at all.

In fact, I thought of something. They could air a total of 931 episodes through the end of XY (Wikipedia has the number at 935 dub episodes, but I'm removing Beauty and the Beach and the Jynx episodes). If they ran an "Every. Pokemon. Ever."-type marathon, it would last 465.5 hours, just over 19 days. It would actually be the longest running TV marathon ever, beating VH1 Classic's Saturday Night Live marathon (433 hours). I'm not sure it'll happen, but I'd love to see it.

3. jfoley85

jfoley85 Member

Wow, this is interesting ! I have to wonder where that leaves the show here in Canada. Currently it airs on Teletoon here which is a sister Channel to Cartoon Network. Here's the big catch, Corus Entertainment here in Canada owns Cartoon Network, Teletoon, Disney Channel, and Disney XD to name a small few, I have to wonder if they will follow the US in moving it to DXD Canada or keep it on Teletoon or both. Although Disney XD Canada has been airing Star Wars Rebels, that particular brand for the franchise premiered on Disney XD in both countries and now Sun and Moon will Premiere on DXD US. I will be following this closely to see what happens. Interesting that in the US Beyblade Burst airs on DXD and here it airs on Teletoon and DXD, so will the same thing happen to Pokemon???

Here's a preview for you guys:

#63 jfoley85, Nov 21, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  4. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Broadcasting rights often pertain to a region and country. Whoever handles the rights in the States should have no effect on how it's handled in Canada.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. jfoley85

jfoley85 Member

I know, I'm just curious to see how this is handled in what channel retains the rights here. Some shows often are always aired on their Canadian counterparts.

A show as big as Pokemon is a big deal to kids as well. I see it all the time at my job with kids asking if we sell Pokemon cards.

#65 jfoley85, Nov 21, 2016
  6. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

I don't see much changing in Canada. Disney XD is a contractual obligation channel for Corus. They very rarely acknowledge its existence, so I can only imagine how low the viewership on it is. They're not going to acquire new seasons of Pokemon to air exclusively on a channel no one has. The show will continue to air on Teletoon, with a possibility for reruns on XD.

Beyblade Burst is on XD in the same fashion, but with the added bonus that it also counts as Cancon.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ShadowBeast

Phineas and Ferb and Gravity Falls haven't been airing that often in weeks. And just because Pokemon has so many episodes doesn't mean it can't be overplayed. A constant marathon of any show would get annoying no matter how many episodes they have.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler I Like Waffles

Still, people will eventually get tired of watching the same show every day, no matter how many episodes it has. It's always good to have diversity. Teletoon airs Pokemon, but at least it airs it once a day.

A Pokemon marathon is fine once in a while, but constantly airing it every day would get really tiring.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

Seeing the same 20 episodes of a show over and over again is extreamly annoying. A series with over 900 episodes is a lot less annoying. Though a schedule with multiple different programs proportionately distributed throughout the week would be ideal, but that's apparently too complicated for XD. So this is the next best thing.

#69 ToonJay723, Nov 21, 2016
  10. ShadowBeast

It would be less annoying, but not by much. Plus Pokemon tends to have similar storylines being used very often.

11. DonkeyKongSong

Yeah, even when they aired it more, Cartoon Network did air Pokemon only about three or four times a day. My only gripe was they rarely ran any pre-Advanced Battle episodes, making us see the same season or two in a loop rather than taking advantage of the full series' library and making it less redundant. I would hope Disney XD can at least do that.

I don't want Pokemon the be the next P&F/GF/LR/WtP, at least not every week. But I hope it and Beyblade (373 episodes) do get decent airtime and add some more variety. And if they do end up doing an Every. Pokemon. Ever. marathon, just once.

12. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

But at least there are different characters and the stories do vary slightly that is good at least.

13. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I was obsessed with the cartoon as a kid, and even I couldn't handle watching too many episodes of Pokemon in a row. Especially hearing Team Rocket do their speech every episode! I'm glad they don't appear as much anymore, but those older episodes...Yeesh.
    I wonder if DXD would be willing to air every episode in a marathon. Would airing Pokemon non-stop for over a month be such a good idea? Kids might get sick of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

That would be the worst thing ever to happen, I mean FXX isn't doing anyone favors with The Simpsons marathons, the same would possibly be true for Pokemon considering that there are more episodes, and XD has more currently airing shows than FXX.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. DonkeyKongSong

I don't really mind the way FXX is airing The Simpsons. They run four-hour marathons five days a week, meaning only forty episodes a week. Shows with fewer episodes on other networks air more. If Pokemon got that, I wouldn't be upset.

In fact, though I'm sure it'll never happen, I'd love to see a Pokemon marathon each week relevant to the next episode like FXX does with The Simpsons. Reminds me of Kids' WB!'s theme weeks (they used to do this with Static Shock as well).

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. ShadowBeast

Not good enough. Might as well be watching the first season over and over again, complete with Ash losing the tournament that he was training for.

At least the Simpsons have more plots going for them.

17. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

First two episodes aired already in UK on CITV. Should air this month in Germany on Nick as well.

18. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Kyupikon!

I'm sorry for having to correct you, but Love Live isn't a children's show. Disney Channel and Disney XD air kids' anime only. PriPara and Aikatsu are for kids, that's why I mentioned them. It also didn't air on TV Tokyo.
    Boy, that was fast. Then again, CITV has aired some CN stuff early-one time, they showed a TTG episode before it played in the USA.

19. Antonio Bravo

Antonio Bravo IDOL UP!

It did air on Japanese Disney Channel.

20. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

Are you talking about Pokémon Sun and Moon? It premiered last Sunday in Belgium.