1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Pokémon Moves to Disney XD

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Takao, Nov 17, 2016.

1. GlassCake

GlassCake Member

It ain't gonna last long. Gonna end up like Naruto Shippuden. They already got a monster catching anime in the mix so I don't think more would be beneficial. But I say that picking up Pokemon is a wrong financial move from the start

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. wiley207

wiley207 Well-Known Member

This is rather sudden. I still remember when Cartoon Network first began rerunning Pokemon in 2003, airing it on weekday nights. Back then, they'd only air the first dub season, from "Pokemon I Choose You" to "The Breeding Center Secret." I remember they skipped "Beauty and the Beach" and "The Tower of Terror" (the latter was due to 9/11 still being fairly recent), and most of them also cut the "TO BE CONTINUED" screen, except for "Pokemon Emergency" (probably because the narrator was talking over it.) But it was pretty fun to see the original Kanto episodes again. Then in fall 2006, they got the full broadcast rights, including airing the newest episodes, which made sense. as by 2006 Kids' WB was dropping anime altogether, instead mostly focusing on domestic-produced shows.

3. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Well-known user and expert in cartoons

I wonder how Disney XD is going to treat Pokemon - hopefully not crappy.

4. Riley

Riley Everything's the fault of a Yo-kæi™

Your pessimism ain't gonna last long either.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

Naruto was a more serious and violent show unlike Pokemon.

6. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Based on what people have said, it seems like Disney XD is treating their anime series better than when they had Shippuden, or at least that's the case with Yokai Watch. It helps that Pokemon actually would fit on their lineup a lot more than Shippuden did since that series required a lot of edits to air on the channel. In terms of a financial move, it does make a lot of sense. Pokemon airs on Disney XD in many other countries and in terms of keeping it on TV, it's probably the best/only option now that Cartoon Network isn't interested in the series anymore. I'd rather be hopeful and optimistic about Pokemon's move to Disney XD rather than think they're going to treat it poorly like Cartoon Network has for the past few years.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Kyupikon!

I didn't expect this to happen, but that's what you get when you care about Teen Titans Go! more...
    I'm expecting that Disney will pick up either Aikatsu! (at Toy Fair last year, they showed Aikatsu toys), PriPara or Himitsu no Cocotama to show on their main channel in Japan. The Japanese Disney Channels have done this for years.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

I might like the idea of Pokemon airing on Disney XD, but at the same time I just can't help but to wonder how long is it going to get decent treatment until it ends up again on the same place that it was on Cartoon Network.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm hoping that won't happen. There wouldn't be too many other options to air Pokemon besides something like Netflix or YouTube. Admittedly, Netflix could work since it has become extremely successful, so that wouldn't be seen as a death sentence, but a TV channel deal is still pretty good and ideal for pretty much any show to have. I would hope that Disney XD doesn't treat a long running and successful franchise like Pokemon so poorly like Cartoon Network did. Since they have two weeks to promote the marathon and even longer to promote the start of the new SM series, we could get a better idea as to how the channel will treat the franchise. They could also use some of the time between now and the proper premiere of SM to show more of the series.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. GlassCake

GlassCake Member

I'm not being pessimistic. I was just stating that Pokemon might end up the same route as Naruto Shippuden if picked up. But now that I'm thinking of it from Lucario's point of view, I do agree that it is probably for the best to go to Disney. It may not be the same but it could be good.

11. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I wonder how much TPCI even cares how it's treated. Networks have to pay to air the show, and so long as TPCI gets paid they might not be too concerned. I mean, Pokemon still did pretty well in it's lousy time slot and no promotion on CN. DXD may have a smaller viewer reach, but I'll think it'll be fine.
    I think once they run out of networks interested in paying for the broadcast rights will they finally just stick to a streaming services. Plus I feel the show will end up on Nicktoons once the DXD license ends.
    Also, I don't know how big the gap is between when the episode airs on US TV and when it appears on Hulu, but people can always just get Hulu instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler I Like Waffles

This is a big win for Disney XD, but I just hope it doesn't overplay Pokemon to the point where it takes over the schedule. The channel has a bad, bad habit of overplaying a show *coughs*Walk the Prank*coughs*. Two rerun slots a day should be fine if the network wants the whole series to last about a year.

13. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

Networks are entitled to a percentage of merchandising profits of the shows they air, so I think they do care when CN is mooching off of them, and they're not even giving the show the time of day.

14. JPReckless2444

This is definitely a good move for Disney XD. They will definitely treat it better than Cartoon Network.

Pokémon is a money making machine and CN treated it like every other action cartoon before. Putting it on the Saturday morning death slot & lack of promotion or care for it didn't help.

The cross promotion between XD & Disney Channel is a huge plus, promotion wise. Plus, Disney does have of good working relationship with Nintendo, with the Nintendo World Championships airing on xD a few years back. This does open the door on so many things. Imagine Pokémon on Disney Infinity?

15. JPReckless2444

Wow, I'm so late... Thanks for clarifying!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  16. The Master C

The Master C Member

I'd imagine that Disney paid a hefty price for the rights to air 20 seasons and 15 movies (because Disney owns the rights to some movies already) worth of Pokemon content to not treat it poorly.

17. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

I'd be curious on how long will the series last on Disney XD, since Disney likes to limit the seasons of their shows for the sake of bringing in new shows. Disney XD would probably air at least four seasons worth. Though considering the name changes, Pokemon might go even further.

Well Nick and CN does that as well.

18. Antonio Bravo

Antonio Bravo IDOL UP!

Please Love Live as well. I'm tired of Mnet America moving it to Deathslots.

19. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

They tend to do that with their own shows, but I don't know if they do that for third party shows. If the last two generations are any indication, SM will last for at least three years, so there will be at least three seasons. Since each new generation brings in a new series, they could just see it as a new show.

20. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Wow. Is that the standard deal? All of a sudden this explains why Teen Titans Go! gets the star treatment on CN despite being a third-party show (CN has to pay to air Warner Bros. Animation content).
    It really does make CN look like mooches. Disney really is going to benefit from this deal after all!

I don't know how different the rules are for anime, or cartoons in general compared to live action, but the broadcast rights usually sell for a $1 million an episode.
    It's probably no where near that, but still likely a 9 digit number, and that's nothing to sneeze at. For the amount they have to pay, and since the IP is still pretty popular, they should spend two hours worth of air time a day dedicated to the series.