Pokémon Moves to Disney XD

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Takao, Nov 17, 2016.

1. PF9

PF9 Member

Just for the record, the first 5 seasons are the best ones to re-watch. I think you know why.

2. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

There are other good seasons to rewatch too. I like the original series, but I wouldn't say it's the best one out of the bunch. There were improvements with most of the other series and I do enjoy rewatching other Pokemon series besides the first one.

3. animegamer

animegamer CEO of Meme18

I still remember the times I watched Pokemon on CN.

4. jaylop97

jaylop97 Well-Known Member

I agree with this, most of the other seasons were good to watch as well, though at least until Diamond and Pearl afterward it is kind of a different story.

5. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think that DP was the best Pokemon series thus far. It had good battles, good writing and they really took advantage of having one journey set for four year. I didn't like BW and while XY was good, I had some huge problems with it that prevented me from liking it as much as other fans did. SM seems to be a bit mixed among the fans based on what I've seen, although fortunately not nearly as much as with BW, but it's at least fun and entertaining most of the time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

7. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

They have been uploading older seasons more frequently. They have the entire AG series available now, which is pretty cool. It will probably still take them awhile to get all of DP and BW available, although I think TPCI put the DP series On Demand some time last year.

8. PF9

PF9 Member

you know something - the series could use more episodes based on pop culture (I was just thinking there should be an episode featuring a Partridge Family-like music group)

9. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

Not sure about that. Pop culture references don't always translate well to other markets.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. PF9

PF9 Member

I meant American pop culture.

11. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

I still think it applies. For example, not everyone knows what The Partridge Family is. There's a reason most of the Japanese cultural references were gradually lessened as Pokemon became more of an international commodity.

12. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't see what American pop cultural references would really add to the show anyway. That would just risk making an episode dated or cause the reference to go over people's head. The point of the show is to promote the newest games, so why throw in American pop culture to begin with?

13. PF9

PF9 Member

Anyway overall I think XD has treated Pokemon well even I though I still think new episodes could air little later than they do now.

And with SSB on Nintendo Switch speculation in full swing, if a Yo-Kai Watch character gets in, XD should reshuffle its Saturday morning line-up to have Pokemon and YKW air back-to-back as something of a promotion of for the new game (since we all know Pikachu's gonna come back).

14. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think that 9AM is the perfect premiere time for Pokemon. It's not too early in the morning to where kids would be sleeping, but it's not so late in the morning that it feels like an afterthought. It's worlds better than premiering episodes at 7AM.

I thought that Yo-Kai Watch usually aired after new Pokemon episodes anyway aside from when they're airing special events or movies. They already market Pokemon, Beyblade and Yo-Kai Watch as part of their anime block, so if a Yo-Kai Watch character gets into SSB for the Switch, then they'll probably do something along those lines.

15. Ray

Ray New Member

From NickandMore Twitter account:

Disney XD's makes big change to Sat AM premieres starting 9/30:
    7:00 Beyblade
    7:30 Pokemon
    8:00 DuckTales
    8:30 Milo Murphy
    9:00 Spider-Man

Pokemon being pushed earlier as if we're back to the Cartoon Network days.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

At least it still gets reruns, though.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well darn it. I've been the 9AM premiere slot so much, so this is disappointing. I can see why they'd want to give their own shows better premiere slots and I don't know how well Pokemon has been doing ratings wise since moving to Disney XD, but I wish that they could have pushed it down to 8AM instead of 7:30AM if they had to move it. That would have been more of a decent time slot. They don't really promote the premiere slots for Disney XD anymore since kids can watch their shows through other methods, so they probably don't see it as a big deal for Pokemon with that in mind.

It's still not as bad as what Cartoon Network did with the show since there will still be reruns, episodes being put up on their website/On Demand section the day they premiere and they'll hopefully still have promos for Sun/Moon, but it is a pretty sudden change. They've been promoting their third party shows quite a bit, so I hope that they aren't going to start treating them more poorly with these new timeslots.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. PF9

PF9 Member

Doesn't the new episode air multiple times in a week?

19. Dan's Revenge

Dan's Revenge Gooood kittyyyy

Looks like only twice after it premiers. Later in the day at 4pm and then two Sundays from then (8 days later) at 4pm. Then it's up to looking for it elsewhere or waiting when it comes back around.

XYZ is finishing up its run this next Monday, in which they're playing Sun & Moon in its place so the latest episodes - however far back one considers "latest" would replay in the morning a few weeks from then. Despite not watching it, I have noticed they're not playing it as much [franchise in general] as they did when debuting it. It does have a CN-feel to its broadcast airing. Makes you wonder if they'll ever actually play the older ones (such as the original season) on the channel or just possibly play them online... or leave it to Pokemon.com itself. Still would like to see an every-episode marathon someday.

20. PF9

PF9 Member

well the 4 PM airing will benefit most people who don't have a DVR so at least XD is doing something right

• Agree Agree x 1