1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Pokémon Moves to Disney XD

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Takao, Nov 17, 2016.

1. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Well-known user and expert in cartoons

I believe before this, they aired Pokemon 4Ever when the channel was still called Toon Disney.

2. StorytellerMJ5

StorytellerMJ5 Active Member

They actually aired some of the movies early last year on Disney XD.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

Just noticed that Disney XD will start airing it in December 5. Don't know how I missed it before, but the reason I'm mentioning it is because I said that I didn't know if Cartoon Network would still finish XYZ. Now I'm having my doubts because I'm not sure it would air on both networks at the same time.

4. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

Thats because kids network airing anime isn't really that profitable, hence why Nicktoons is airing anime. Most people found out about streaming and now they can get their anime fix online without having wait for dubs to catch up. I do agree with you on action cartoons

I think he ment Steven is like an action show in terms of dark themes, strong continuity, and character developement(thought I think SU is mostly a drama)

5. ATragicFairyTale

Huge get for Disney.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I think they also played Jirachi Wish Maker and Destiny Deoxys.

7. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Cartoon Network deserves this. They basically treated Pokemon (a HUGE property) like dirt. No reruns, bad timeslot, little promotion...they had this coming.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

Can't say I didn't see this coming. Hardly any series that's not first party wants anything to do with CN nowadays. If Yokai Watch is any indication Disney is far more forgiving and experimental

9. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

So I guess Light Lucario will eventually move the talkback threads to the Disney/Pixar forums. Would it be appropriate to merge this thread with the thread from the Cartoon Network/Boomerang forums?

...And toyetic action series are still action series.

• Like Like x 1
    #29 Scrappy-Fan92, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  10. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

I'm mostly into Pokemon for the games, but yeah - THIS is a good move for DXD, provided they treat it well (or else!). A DAMN GOOD MOVE. Here's hoping fans can get more airtime for their favorite game-based anime, that's for certain!

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

Nice to see that DXD is going to get the rights to Pokémon, goven the current state of CN it is definetly a good decision.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, I'll have talkback threads for this section once premieres start there, although that's going to be weird. I think it's okay to have two threads on this subject in both sections. It is kind of big news and I think that at least the one in the Cartoon Network section could be used to discuss how this reflects on how the channel has been handling third party shows in general.

Anyway, this is pretty huge and I'm still blown away by it. It's kind of strange since I'm both surprised and not surprised that this is happening. Cartoon Network has been treating the show quite poorly for awhile. It's not particularly new, but it has gotten worse over time, especially with this current season. Little to no promotion, a terrible timeslot and no reruns is a terrible way to treat a long running franchise like Pokemon, especially for its 20th anniversary. In retrospect, this might have been planned out for awhile due to Pokemon.com having episodes on their website sooner than usual, more episodes available On Demand and the fact that Pokemon hasn't been listed among Cartoon Network's shows for the past few months. I thought that last point was just a technical issue, but that might have been a sign that Cartoon Network wasn't going to have the series anymore. Plus, Cartoon Network has been showing less and less interest in third party shows for quite some time.

In spite of all of that, I never would have thought that Cartoon Network would pass up on a new Pokemon series. I was just hoping that they'd treat the series better in time for the tail end of XY or at least when SM started up. They have been airing the series for over a decade and even longer when you factor in the times where they aired reruns from Kids' WB. In fact, I'm pretty sure Cartoon Network has aired Pokemon longer than Kids' WB at this point, especially when TPCI has dubbed more episodes than 4Kids did by this point. I didn't think that they'd actually pass up the chance to air a new Pokemon series, so it's still kind of shocking.

This does explain why we haven't heard any news about the new movie or the sneak peek at the new series for so long. They might have wanted to time this announcement just before the games come out to create more hype for the premiere and move as well.

I do think that this is a good move for Pokemon though. Disney actually treats Disney XD like an actual channel, as opposed to just a place to toss aside shows like Nicktoons. I'm sure that we'll get promos for the series on both Disney XD and Disney Channel. They have been good with promoting XD stuff on their main channel. I've even seen some promos with Disney Channel stars talking about the Yokai Watch games, so attention like that to Pokemon would be great. It will hopefully have a better timeslot for premieres, more rerun slots and people can watch the episodes on their website and On Demand section. We might also get longer openings, which would definitely help with the TPCI since they tend to be lackluster in part to the thirty second time limit. The only downside here is that Disney XD isn't available in as many places as Cartoon Network is and that is a bit concerning to me. Perhaps more people have Disney XD than I think they do, or at least it's more profitable for Disney, since they are more than happy to create original content for that channel and that would be far more expensive than airing third party shows like Pokemon.

It's still pretty shocking news to see, but it's ultimately better for the anime in the long run. I am going to miss waking up to Pokemon on Cartoon Network and making the talkback threads for that section too, but I'm hoping that Disney XD handles the series better than Cartoon Network has in recent years.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. PinkiePie97

Not only that, I think they've been airing it longer than Kids' WB was even on air (unless you just mean new episodes).

14. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I was thinking of how long Kids' WB had aired new Pokemon episodes, but I didn't factor in how long Kids' WB was even on the air. That makes it even bigger and stranger in a way because of how long Cartoon Network has aired Pokemon.

15. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

When I saw YouTube videos reporting this, I just couldn't believe it. I don't know how popular the Pokemon anime still so this may not be a huge loss for CN, but it's definitely a big gain for DXD. Wow, CN lost another show to Disney (the other being Star Wars). How sad is that? One thing is for sure, it'll definitely get better treatment on DXD. I might even catch an episode or two since I don't get up early to watch cartoons anymore.
    Do they get the rights to all the episodes? They should air two episodes a day for over a year so they can air the whole series!
    Wow, this is cool! I can't wait to see what they have in store. If they treat it as good as they do Yo-Kai Watch then it'll be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  16. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Third show, if we count the Beyblade franchise (which CN used to air, but now XD does)

17. BeanoMaster

BeanoMaster Active Member

At least in the UK it's still on CITV.

18. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Wow.
    I can't believe Beyblade is still a thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Well-known user and expert in cartoons

It wasn't a thing for a while until the executives at Teletoon miraculously made it a thing again.

20. PinkiePie97

Yes, they bought the rights to the entire series.