1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Pokémon Moves to Disney XD

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Takao, Nov 17, 2016.

1. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

I wonder are they going to dub and air episode 21, or skip it? Or at the very least heavily edit it. Even though if you skip it, it causes a continuity problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Lillie~

Lillie~ In the bag Nebby

Why would they exit it or skip it? There's no reason to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Well-known user and expert in cartoons

Maybe there's something in that episode that's not suitable for children...?

4. RDG

RDG Aspiring animator/filmmaker and Ugliest Man Alive

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. superkeegan9100

6. Lillie~

Lillie~ In the bag Nebby

They're airing it it's not like they showed Stoutland dieing onscreen lol

7. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

You would think they would skip over something like that, but...

Now just because a similar type of show airs on the same network with a similar tone doesn't guarantee anything or the episode will air unaltered. But just keep in mind the industry has grown at least a little bit since the 4kids days of editing and it's not entirely out of the question they'll air episode 21 unchanged.

8. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

9. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

10. PF9

PF9 Member

My thinking is this move is a consequence of controversy over Ash's Kalos League loss, as CN saw it as strike three after being part of Ash's losses in Sinnoh and Unova as well.

I would guess the show was offered to Nick but they turned it down wanting nothing to do with a show that makes its main protagonist lose every major competition he is in and its female protags lose when it matters most (the same reason TPC burned its bridges with CN).

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. superkeegan9100

Disney just loves giving people second chances.

12. Lillie~

Lillie~ In the bag Nebby

This is not true at all.

13. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, that isn't true in the slightest. Why would Cartoon Network, or really any network, care about how many times Ash has lost a League? I'm pretty sure higher ups have more important matters to deal with than complaining about Ash losing for twenty years like fans have done, so the Kalos League fiasco wouldn't even register for them. And why would they even have a three strike policy for Ash losing. It's not like it's a new development or that they'd only keep the series around if Ash could win a game related region League at some point. Same with the female characters losing in their competition. The accomplishments of the characters is not what determines whether or not a channel keeps a third party show. What determines that is how much money they make off of it in the first place. Nickelodeon wouldn't turn down the show because the characters lose either. They're honestly barely interested in anything that they don't own and they'd just put the show on Nicktoons, which would be way worse than how Cartoon Network treated the series even near the end of its run on the channel.

Besides all that, Cartoon Network's mistreatment of Pokemon didn't just suddenly start after news of the Kalos League. They were losing interest in the series for quite awhile. There were hardly any promos for it starting around XY, if not BW. We'd get maybe a generic one for a new season, but that was about it. It was even more blatant with the XYZ season given the poor timeslot, no reruns and virtually no promotion, but that was the result of the channel losing interest in Pokemon. The fact that Cartoon Network is relying less on third party content in general is also a pretty important factor. Why give timeslots to shows that they don't own completely when they can put their own shows more often to get more money?

This seems like an excused to complain about the status quo of the show rather than any reasonable theory on why Cartoon Network dropped the series. If you want to complain about Ash and his friends losing major competitions, that's fine. People do that all the time. If I had a nickel every time fans complained about the status quo in Pokemon, I'd be so rich right now. But don't pretend that your issues with the show are how network heads feel about the series and why they wouldn't want the show or didn't pick it up. Not only is that idea completely ridiculous, but it's spreading completely false information to other members, which is not okay.

No, they like money. They wouldn't pick up the Pokemon anime simply to give it a second chance. They'd only pick it up if they thought it would be financially worth while for them. The fact that Pokemon does air on Disney XD in other countries might have been a factor too.

14. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

Yeah, Nickelodeon would never turn down a show just for being repetitive itself. Just like with Disney, Nickelodeon has several shows that people complain about the "status quo" in way more than Pokemon. Yes, they have "cookie cutter" sitcoms too, ones that people complain about (especially on this site) being "formulaic" and "cookie cutter" way more than Pokemon, and forget being rich, if I had a nickel for every time someone complained about those, specifically iCarly and everything after it, my car and student loan debt would vanish immediately with enough left over to buy the Sistine Chapel... scratch that, I could probably start a Ferrari collection and enroll in all of the New York Colleges with enough left over to buy all the Vatican Museums and no student debt whatsoever.

Repetition doesn't matter at all in what a TV network wants. It's all about money and how much they are willing to put into a third party property.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. ECDT1089

ECDT1089 That Car Genius

This is Disney, not 4kids! Disney has aired more controversial and darker content than the events in that episode. I seriously doubt they would skip over that.

Also, the events in the Volcanion movie were darker and Disney XD aired it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. superkeegan9100

WE DO NOT SPEAK THE NAME OF THAT COMPANY

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. PF9

PF9 Member

In that company's defense they did have the better VAs

IMO new episodes should air in prime time to go up against the offerings on the major networks

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't really see the need to put new episodes on prime time to go up against shows on major networks. It probably wouldn't work well in Pokemon's favor given that not every household has Disney XD, while major networks are part of basic cable. I know that Cartoon Network had a few premieres during prime time during the first season of DP, but at least that channel is widely available and that was a special event if I recall correctly.

Pokemon works perfectly fine as a Saturday morning premiere or part of a weekday afternoon block, but it doesn't really need to be on prime time in order to be successful. Honestly, Saturdays at 9AM is the perfect premiere slot for the series. It's not too early in the morning, but not too late either. More kids would be awake and willing to watch something at 9AM as opposed to 7AM.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. PF9

PF9 Member

You could always put older episodes of Pokemon in local off network syndication and require stations to air them in an afternoon/early evening timeslot.

20. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't know if they can require stations to air episodes in a specific time. If that was the case, TPCI probably could have required Cartoon Network to give the series a better time slot. Plus, I'm not sure how interested Disney would be with giving out older episodes of Pokemon to local networks instead of airing them on their own channel.