1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Playstation 3 Revealed

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Vigo Sprax, Jul 11, 2001.

1. mxyzptlk

mxyzptlk Guest

sorry if i did not hand it to u on a silver platter.

2. Clayface

Clayface Molecularly Malleable Mod

You didn't hand me anything - not even a crumb on a napkin! LOL!

3. mxyzptlk

mxyzptlk Guest

i dont think i have to take this.

4. Clayface

Dude, I'm just joking with ya.

5. mxyzptlk

mxyzptlk Guest

so am i although i do not like playstation.

6. Scythemantis

Scythemantis With Soar-Throat Ghost

I dont get why anyone likes any specific system...its the GAMES,not the system....the system makes no difference whatsoever.If I like a game,I play it,I dont care what its on....its all 100% the same to me

7. Clayface

I agree and I disagree. I do agree that games make the big difference - but I think the games are integral to the system. For example, I never saw much in the way of games on any of the Nintendo systems that got my interest, thus I never owned one. And until the PS2 came out, I couldn't play DVDs on my game system. Now, of course, that's becoming more common, but still, it was a BIG difference at the time - and that's a system difference, not a game difference. Thus, it makes a lot of sense to me to like a specific system.

#27 Clayface, Jul 12, 2001
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2001
  8. Vigo Sprax

Vigo Sprax Member

Yes, with things like DVD playback, internet access, digital file management, etc... being added to consoles you can have valid reasons for preffering one console over another. Not to mention the PS2, when stood vertical, kicks everyone else's butt design wise.

9. Bird Boy

Bird Boy WF Admin
    Staff Member Moderator

reasons I don't like playstation:

1)CD loading. It takes forever in a day to play a game on that system. Your time is up in the stores before the game even loads.
    2)I never liked, or wanted, any of the titles coming for any PS system (aside from Vengence...which is now coming out for GameCube as well! :)
    3)I hate the control design. It's too complicated. Especially the one w/ 2 joysticks in the middle...
    4)I never liked the design of it.
    5)All of my "real life" friends favor Playstation over any other system. They don't like Nintendo, because Playstation puts out "better games". Which is reason enough for me to hate it.
    6)I just generally hate Playstation.. it became too popular too fast.

Reason I don't mind Dreamcast or the upcoming GameCube:

There CD loading is sooooo much faster. GameCube's game boots up like a cartridge would.

I played PS2 at the store, and none of its titles appealed to me. It just looked like a boring system. I need a system with characters I've known for a long time. Crash Banicoot..nah, I don't like him enough. Mario, Luigi, the whole Nintendo game..I love those guys. i grew up with Mario and Sonic..so thats why I like Dreamcast (I didn't like it at first..mainly because Sonic Adventure was so easy..but it's other games proved to be better!). I even borrowed a PSX from my neighbor, I played it once. and that was it. He gave me like 20 diff. games, and I played about 5 of them, and I couldn't take it anymore.

THAT is why I hate Playstation.

-BB

10. Psycho Fox

Psycho Fox Toonix Guru

Look I am a Sega fan too but I have to admit while Sega is generally good at making hardware,from time to time they make mistakes. Like putting the pause buttion on the SMS or their humiliating entry into the 8-bit computer market in the early 80's. Basicly what I'm getting at is I see the saturn in the same light as the Sega CD, it is flawed and not as good as Sega's other hardware and the good point is the good games that came out for it. Hardware wise I like the PSX (except for the reliablity problems earily on) but I don't like the flood of crap games on it.

You are kinda right but the system has something to do with it too. The earily PSXs had reliablity problems which is why I stayed away from them till they worked those out the Jaguar had bugs in the hardware. The Atari 5200 had a crap controler. The NES had the cartrage go in VCR style which I find totaly stupid. Plus the hardware will dictacte what the system is capable of. Few bought the Atai 7200 when it launched since the system was mothballed for a few years, the games where fine but the hardware could not compete aginst the NES and SMS oh then there is the SMS which had far more power then the NES which gave it life (somewhat small though) to the end of the 16-bit era

11. Clayface

Hmm. Load times never really bother me - I'm just not that impatient I guess. But honestly the slow load times are mostly a thing of the past - most of the games in recent years for the PS have short load times and the PS2 has an option that lets you decrease load times even more.

Fair enough - we all have different preferences when it comes to which games we're looking for. For me, PS has the games I want: Final Fantasy, Xenogears, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, Onimusha, etc.

Again a matter of person preference I guess. I love the controllers for the PS, especially the analog controls. I can't stand the Nintendo controllers - they're just far to clunky and they feel cheap in my hands.

I love the design of the PS2 - feels like an actual system component, like my VCR or DVD player. One thing I've never cared for about any system was that they all looked like just what they are - game systems. I love that Sony finally gave the PS a sleeker look.

Umm, ok. Not sure I understand this point. So, if your friends like something you hate it? huh?

Hmmm that's starting to sound like Mxy - a personal vendetta against the system because it did well.... Can't say I really understand that.

Well from what I've played of the Dreamcast, I don't see any difference between the DC and PS2 load times. But then again, as I said, load times don't bother me.

Well, I'm not sure what games you played, or which types of games you like in general ut there are plenty of games I'd consider exciting: Onimusha Warlord, Gauntlet: Dark Legacy, Metal Gear Solid 2, Star Wars: Starfighter, DOA2, Devil May Cry, etc.

I'm not a fan at all of the mascot characters. I couldn't care less aout how long I've known a game character, so that aspect of the other systems holds no interest for me.

Which games did he give you?

#31 Clayface, Jul 12, 2001
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2001
  12. Vigo Sprax

Vigo Sprax Member

PSX/PS2 games for the most part load super fast, its amazing that in games like GranTurismo 3 they load entire courses in less than like 5 seconds.

13. mxyzptlk

mxyzptlk Guest

preach on brother!!!!!!!!

14. Bird Boy

Bird Boy WF Admin
    Staff Member Moderator

Uh..Gran Turismo, Crash Bandicoot, Tekken2, Final Fantasy..that Dragoon game...a couple other racing games...and..I can't remember the others...I'll post again if I can remember anymore..

-BB

15. mxyzptlk

mxyzptlk Guest

i am a sega man.

16. Scythemantis

Scythemantis With Soar-Throat Ghost

Playstation titles I like and why:

Final fantasy 7 and 9 (didnt like 8)

Skullmonkeys (the most incredibly fun and weird game ive ever played...its a 2-d sidescroller using clay animation! Actually a spinoff of the pc puzzle game "the neverhood".Created,by the way,by Doug Tennapel,the creator of earthwom jim)

Oddworld (I consider this game more artistic than any movie I have ever seen.The creators actually took the cutscenes from it and pasted them together into a short film that almost won an emmy! If you havent heard of it,its about a planet full of surreal creatures and it`s battle between nature and the industrial...lots of dark,sick humor too..I like the little critters used to test carpet cleaner)

Nintendo titles I like:

I dont see how anyone can not like nintendo.It was the first to do just about everything!

Any mario game

Super metroid (The original metroid had the first EVER female hero in an action/adventure video game)

Earthworm jim 1 and 2.

Pokemon (theyre funnnn!)

Final fantasy 6 (known as final fantasy 3 in the U.S.)

Secret of evermore (a weird science fiction RPG that constantly quotes old B-movies and teams you up with a shape changing dog)

Sega titles I like:

No idea.Never owned a sega system.I played sonic a few times at someones house,it was pretty fun.Most SEGA games seem unoriginal to me :p

17. Clayface

Maybe that's the problem then! Of the ones you listed, the only one I liked was Final Fantasy. I'm personally not a big fan of racing games. I've never cared for Crash or for the Tekken series. And Dragoon was ok story and graphics-wise, but the gameplay, in my opinion, left a lot to be desired.

18. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Whyyyyy'sis heead so biiiiiig?

Oh, why not.

PS2
    Strengths:
    Loads and loads of games.
    DVD capability.
    Decent controllers.

Weaknesses:
    1st party games (i.e. made by Sony) aren't nearly as good or as many as Sega's or Nintendo's.
    Until GT3 and Twisted Metal were released, there weren't any real A-list titles. But more are coming, like Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, etc.
    The DVD archetecture makes it a pain in the butt to program for, which may explain the previous lack of A titles.

Dreamcast
    Strengths:
    Strong hardware.
    Very good 1st party software from Sega.
    Cheap.

Weaknesses:
    Annoying controller.
    Released at the worst time, when everyone was expecting the PS2 to be the second coming so nobody bought it.
    Dying fast.

Gamecube:
    Strengths:
    Easy to program for. Developers love it.
    Excellent 1st party software. Really, if you're willing to look past the mascot stuff, Nintendo's games are recognized by even its rivals (admitted by Sony at E3) as some of the best in the world. And Mature-rated stuff is coming.
    Amazing controller--I know it looks strange, but it was bliss to hold.

Weaknesses:
    Fewer games down the pipeline than the PS2. Though there's more than the N64 had, and the great E3 buzz is causing them to gain momentum rapidly.
    No DVD playback capability.
    All those people who whine about how their games look "kiddie" without taking the time to play them, when they would realize that they play a lot better than a lot of "mature" stuff. :rolleyes:

Xbox:
    Strengths:
    Most powerful archetecture out there, easy to program for.

Weaknesses:
    Fewer games than the PS2.
    The Japanese, with their anti-U.S. product bias, already hate it, which is scaring off Japanese developers.
    Have to pay extra for DVD playback.
    Big fat annoying controller.
    Aside from Munch and Halo, Microsoft's 1st party games are extremely boring.
    Made by an evil company. :)

Indreama:
    Strengths:
    Makes programming geeks happy.

Weaknesses:
    Only appealed to programming geeks, died a money-bleeding death back in February.

19. Clayface

Yep, that about sums it up.

20. mxyzptlk

mxyzptlk Guest

ps 2 and 1:

none

dreamcast
    alot of em