1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

World's Finest Workshops Planning suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Story Board' started by Funkatron, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Funkatron

Funkatron Active Member

Was wondering, do any of you do any pen on paper planning for your longer stories?

Do you plan out a whole story or just a few chapters out?

Are your plans/outlines detailed or have the basics so you can easily make changes?

Just wondering. I'm done some planning for individual chapters before, but nothing major. I mostly do it all in my head and I usually juggle quite a few plot ideas while doing so. Was wondering if Anyone could suggest any types of tips on planning and outlining

2. Tenku

Tenku D-don't come any closer!

I always pen stuff down, no matter what the length. That way, I can take out/add/lengthen anything that I want instead of straight transcribing it from paper to computer.

Planning... I've recently started doing that. Normally, I'd just do a really rough outline. Sometimes, I do have the ending in mind and try to work backwards from there or write a bunch of ideas down in bullets, not signing them to any particular thing until I look back for them. I also put character tibits for existing and new characters and information - like stats [ name, age, height, etc]. That way, they're highly individualized and you won't mix them up.

I normally don't plan full chapters unless I know I have a good idea what is going to happen within that space. And I try to make them basic instead of going all out on them - there were sometimes I had to revamp the whole thing at the last second. For planning a whole story, I generally don't bother with that until... about 3 to 4 chapters in.

Hope that helps. :)