1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Pick The Best Batman: The Animated Series Episode -- Poll #1

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Feb 4, 2002.

?

Batman: The Animated Series Episodes #1 - 10

1. On Leather Wings

49 vote(s)
    31.4%
  2. Christmas With The Joker

14 vote(s)
    9.0%
  3. Nothing To Fear

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
  4. The Last Laugh

5 vote(s)
    3.2%
  5. Pretty Poison

5 vote(s)
    3.2%
  6. The Underdwellers

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  7. P.O.V.

8 vote(s)
    5.1%
  8. The Forgotten

10 vote(s)
    6.4%
  9. Be A Clown

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
  10. Two-Face Part 1

58 vote(s)
    37.2%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

The first of 12 polls has begun! Below are the voting choices for the first 10 episodes. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to pick your favorite episode out of the ten listed below. The results will be tallied on Sunday (likely around 2pmET), and a new poll will open the following Monday. For more information on the poll, go <a href="http://wf.toonzone.net/btaspoll.htm">HERE</a>. Remember - the success of the poll depends on you! If the turn out for this first poll is low, then it will be shut down. The options are above! Stay tuned for updates and this thread, and feel free to discuss the poll in this thread as well.

Poll #2 Begins Monday, Febuary 11th!!

Synopsis for Episodes #1 - 10

Episode #001 - On Leather Wings
    Original Airdate - September 6th, 1992.

When a horrifying bat creature terrorizes Gotham City, the authorities conclude it must be Batman and put out an all-points bulletin on the Dark Knight. Batman's investigation leads him to the laboratory of Kirk Langstrom, who has been experimenting with a formula that turns him into the ManBat creature. Not only does Batman have to capture Man-Bat in order to save Langstrom, but also to set the police straight and clear his name.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Episode #002 - Christmas With The Joker
    Original Airdate - November 13th, 1992.

The Joker takes over Gotham's airwaves and terrorizes the city during Christmas. Holding Commissioner Gordon, Detective Bullock, and Summer Gleason hostage, he challenges Batman to find him before midnight, or else the hostages will have a very un-merry Christmas.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Episode #003 - Nothing To Fear
    Original Airdate - September 15th, 1992.

The Scarecrow, is spreading fear gas and wreaking havoc on Gotham State University. Under the influence of a treacherous fear gas, Batman must fight this wily strawman and his worst fear at the same time.

Episode #004 - The Last Laugh
    Original Airdate - September 22nd, 1992.

The Joker employs a lethal mind altering laughing gas to transform the citizens of Gotham into total fools. If Batman doesn't stop the Clown Prince of crime, everyone will soon go totally mad, including his friend and butler, Alfred.

Episode #005 - Pretty Poison
    Original Airdate - September 14th, 1992.

Harvey Dent becomes romantically involved with a mystery woman named Pamela Isley. When Dent is poisoned after a dinner date, Batman investigates and wnds up fighting for the life of his best friend, as well as his own.

Episode #006 - The Underdwellers
    Original Airdate - October 21st, 1992.

Batman encounters mysterious 'wee green people,' who have been committing petty crimes. He saves one and soon learns that the boy belongs to a gang of forgotten runaways who live deep within the Gotham sewer system. Their leader, the crazed Sewer King, forces the children to steal food and supplies for him.

Episode #007 - P.O.V.
    Original Airdate - September 18th, 1992.

When Bullock botches a sting operation, he Montoya and rookie Wilkes, are questioned by Internal Affairs. Bullock's face saving story is so at odds with the other testimonies that the I.A. believes no one and suspends them all. Eager to clear her name, Montoya follows up on some clues which lead her to the location of the gangsters they were after during the sting.

Episode #008 - The Forgotten
    Original Airdate - October 8th, 1992.

When indigent men start disappearing from the bowery, Bruce goes undercover as lowlife Gaff Morgan to investigate. He soon ends up as an amnesia victim forced to work with other kidnapped men in a treacherous and remote mining camp.

Episode #009 - Be A Clown
    Original Airdate - September 16th, 1992.

Mayor Hill's son feels overlooked and unloved at his own birthday party that is more a political media event than a real celebration. Meanwhile, the Joker infiltrates the party dressed as a clown in order to plant a bomb. The Mayor's son, a budding magician, becomes so enamored of the clown's tricks that he steals away in the clown's truck when the Joker leaves. When Batman tracks down the Joker to a closed amusement park, the wily villain plays on the kid's naiveté and uses him to trap the Batman.

Episode #010 - Two-Face: Part 1
    Original Airdate - September 25th, 1992.

District Attorney Harvey Dent is hiding a deep dark secret. He has a second personality, that of Big Bad Harv, a hard nosed gangster. When Rupert Thorne learns of Dent's sickness, he tries to blackmail him. Unfortunately, Dent's "bad" side comes to the fore, and he attacks Thorne leading to an explosions which leads to Dent's second personality becoming dominant.

#1 James Harvey, Feb 4, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2002
  2. Naraht

Naraht Active Member

gee, at this early point...wide view of what's the best...

this aint easy folks!

=O

3. Buddy Lee

Buddy Lee Hollywood pitchman

This poll is difficult since I haven't seen some of the episodes from the first season in quite a while. But, I voted for "On Leather Wings". I truly loved the mood and the attitude of that first episode. It was really well directed and beautifully animated.

4. Bird Boy

Bird Boy WF Admin
    Staff Member Moderator

I went with "The Last Laugh", mainly because that was the first TAS ep I'd ever seen....and I loved it... :)

It would've been "On Leather Wings", but, I seem to remember enjoying "The Last Laugh" more..

-BB

5. Naraht

Naraht Active Member

Funny, I didn't like "On Leather Wings" Manbat bugged me.

I voted for The Forasken, cause I really enjoyed it, and it showed Batman sticking up for the little guy, and not just worring about the high profile crime.

6. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Howdy all,

First poll, already the choices are tough. Hrmph.

I picked "On Leather Wings" because it's just soooo atmospheric, and also because it's the first episode that I saw, which promptly turned me into a BTAS fan. The use of light and shadow, the whole "dark deco" look and feel, the voice acting (the bit where Batman clicks on the radio and goes into "Bruce" voice totally blew my mind at the time -- kudos to Kevin Conroy for that), and the fact that they actually show Batman bleeding (at least when I taped it) all combine to make this one of my favorite episodes.

The other front runners for me were "P.O.V." and "Two Face Part I." I'm a sucker for a good Rashomon reference), and the fact that "P.O.V." focused on the GCPD and their relationship to Batman made for an interesting contrast to the norm. Making Montoya the leading character was great, too -- I really wished they did more with her in the animated series.

"Two Face Part I" was an ep everybody was looking forward to after getting introduced to Harvey Dent. I would have preferred that they did a more-or-less straight adaptation of Andy Helfer's story from the Batman annual in the early 90's (Two-Face is a victim of domestic violence, and the coin was the way his father would determine whether to beat Harvey or not; took many years for Harvey to learn the coin was 2-headed...), but I can understand how that would have been a bit too intense and dark for the BTAS audience. Still, it was a good episode, and a decent reworking of a classic Batman villian.

Oh, I can hardly wait for the poll decisions to come...

-- Ed/Ace

7. Terminatah

Terminatah Badass Cyborg

Christmas With The Joker

Christmas With The Joker is perfect because the Joker takes the premise of a Christmas special, an event that exists to bring people happiness, and uses it to commit acts of kidnapping and murder, all the while with a big frightening grin on his face. The present he gives Batman at the end is PRICELESS.

-Terminatah

8. Batman 80

Batman 80 College Student

Two Face part 1 gets my vote. That storyline is what made Two Face my favorite Batman villain.

9. umbc8

umbc8 A Real Superguy

On Leather Wings gets my vote!

[​IMG]

On Leather Wings is probably my favorite story from the older Animated Series. It has great animation (better than any episode afterward in my opinon), the writing is excellent, and the acting is great. My only problem is Alfred's voice (not the same actor as is the later eps.), but it's still the best.

10. Theking

Theking Very cute Lego Babe.

TwoFace all the way

Very tough choice, between TwoFace part I and On Leather Wings.
    I have to admit the voice change from Batman to Bruce Wayne in 'On Leather Wings' really made that voice my fav.

But Two Face is my second fav. villian so he has to get my vote, plus it was a very good episode to show us Two Face.

TheKing :cool:

11. Failure

Failure Entertainment Mod

I picked Two Face - Part I, although it's possible that I'm thinking of the 2 eps combined. Looks like it's gona be a runaway battle between Two Face and On Leather Wings.

12. Sparvid

Sparvid Robot in disguise

Long time lurker, first time poster :)

I chose On Leather Wings. But Two-Face was not close behind.

13. DerekPowers

DerekPowers Ruler of Gotham City, 2049

wow, this is tough.

im torn between two-face part 1, pretty poison, and pov. pov, only because i think it had the best animation out of all the btas eps, but hey, i dont think i'll vote for it.

nothing to fear was also great, but i havent seen it in forever! i remember it was a great intro for prof crane, and it had that awesome scene at the end where bats is seeing hallucinations of his parents. that was a good ep, but since i havent seen it in a while, its hard to judge properly.

hmmm, this is hard, oh why do we have to choose??!! hmm, ill have to think about this one. peace.

14. Salvor

Salvor You can't take a picture of it

I picked 'On leather wings'. To me it's the best BTAS episode: not only does the story work marvelously (with a classic Batman/GCPD chase, nice dialogues, a great ending) but the art and the animation are absolutely mind-boggling. Plus the music totally rocks (very "Danny Elfmanesque")

I would very disappointed if OLW didn't pass the first round...

15. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

This is gonna be a very tight match - and I hope that On leather Wings can pull it off. There...what? 5 more days in the poll. We still have plenty of time for some upsets and surprises...

16. KingKoopa

KingKoopa Active Member

I think it might be a good idea to remind us what the episodes were about by supplying a brief summary of each episode, because many of those episodes I can't remember what happened. So, I'm gonna go with Christmas with the Joker because it's my favorite of the ones I recognise.

17. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

"All men have something to hide. The brighter the picture, the darker the negative." - Rupert Thorne Two-Face, Part I

This was a really difficult choice for me with "Pretty Poison" and "P.O.V." also in the poll, but I went with "Two-Face." This in my view is the best of all of the villian intro episodes. The emotion in this ep and also Part II, just make this one of the better ones.

18. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

That's a good idea - I'll add that to my main post! So far turn out has been much better than I anticipated. I really hope it breaks 100 tonight. I really hope this first pull turns out really good so we can keep on doing this...

19. Alexandra Wayne

Alexandra Wayne Watching Always

Aw, only one vote for Be a Clown. And hey, it's me! Well, it's always been my favorite episode. Yes, the story's not incredibly original, and the dialogue is nothing like the Two-Face episode, but you've gotta love Bruce as a bumbling bachelor struggling under the weight of a present, and Batman's at his best when he's the only hope of the helpless.
    By the way....I'm Alex. I am a member from the way old days....and I'm talking years ago. Are there any other old posters out there?
    Alex

20. Bruce Wayne

Bruce Wayne Comin' at ya!

I voted for Two Face Part 1. He was the first villian I actually saw how he came to be.