Persona 4: The Animation Talkback(Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by RockmanDash, Oct 6, 2011.

1. RockmanDash

RockmanDash Retired

[​IMG]

Enter Yu Narukami, a boy who ends up moving in with his uncle and cousin at the rural town of Inaba. However, this small quiet country town soon turns out to be anything but normal; as a series of murders begin to occur whenever fog appears after heavy rain. To make things even stranger, there is also rumors going on about the famous "Midnight Channel" that is said to show your soul mate when staring at a turned off TV screen at exactly midnight when it rains.Yu with his new classmates will soon end up taking on the huge case to uncover the truth behind the murders and the even more mysterious midnight channel..with their new unlocked power of.."Persona".

Opening 1:Sky's the Limit
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC3JmSEA5NQ
    Opening 2: Key Plus Words
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6vnJO7cES8

Ending 1:Beauty of Destiny
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXl5NYCZzSw
    Ending 2:The way of memories
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49c3aHG1TS8(Full version)

Episode 1: "You're Myself, I'm Yourself" -10/6/11
    Episode 2: "The Contractor's Key" - 10/14/11
    Episode 3: "We are friends, aren't we?"-10/21/11
    Episode 4: ""Somewhere Not Here" -10/27/11
    Episode 5: "Would you love me?" - - 11/3/11
    Episode 6: "I'll beat you, and beat you good"- 11/10/11
    Episode 7- "Suspicious Tropical Paradise" - 11/17/11
    Episode 8-"We've lost something important again" -11/25/11
    Episode 9-"No one sees the real me" - 12/1/11
    Episode 10- "Real Me Doesn't Exist" - 12/8/11
    Episode 11-"Catch me if you can"-12/15/11
    Episode 12-"It's Not Empty At All."12/22/11
    Episode 13- "A Stormy Summer Vacation 1/2"-1/5/12
    Episode 14- "A Stormy Summer Vacation 2/2" 1/13/12
    Episode 15- "The Long-Awaited School Trip"-1/19/12
    Episode 16- "Although the Case was Closed"1/26/12
    Episode 17-I want to know the truth- 2/2/12
    Episode 18-Anniversary to become a family- 2/9/12
    Episode 19-"It's School Festival Day! Time to Have Fun!"-2/16/12
    Episode 20- "We'll all go to the AIMGIYA Inn"- 2/23/12
    Episode 21- "DON"T SAVE ANYONE ANYMORE"- 3/1/12
    Episode 22- "It's just like Heaven" - 3/8/12
    Episode 23- "In Order To Find the Truth"- 3/15/12
    Episode 24-" The World is Full of Sh*t" - 3/22/12
    Episode 25- "We Can Change The World"- 3/29/12
    TRUE ENDING- "No One Is Alone"- 8/22/12

Notes: The series will have a legal streaming on Hulu and the Anime network. No words can describe how excited I am to watch this, that is all. :p

So let's begin! Persona!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2012
  2. Butterstar

Butterstar Bring Sakura back to the US!

Wow. TheAnimeNetwork.com has never been this busy. I can't even get back in...

3. RockmanDash

RockmanDash Retired

Currently watching it right now and so far "wow!"

1)The opening for episode one is the opening theme for the ps2 game
    2)The actual game music is being used in the anime.
    3)Igor is creepy as ever. :p
    4)The main character actually says some of the options from the game!

They really wanted to make this right from what I watched so far.

EDIT: The commercial break eyecatch shows the main character's bravery, intelligence, and etc like in the game! So far...he ain't doing so well :p..

4. Pepperidge

Pepperidge Active Member

I thought it was pretty good. They took well over an hour's worth of exposition and setup from the game and trimmed it down to a digestible twenty-five minutes without really losing anything. It wasn't perfect, of course; a lot of the interaction between the three main characters seemed forced, and cramming in the joke about Yosuke having to take a piss was just stupid. Also, putting off a few things until the second episode, such as Teddie's introduction, could've left a bit more breathing room in the final few minutes of the episode.

It seems pretty accessible for people who have never played the game before, although the fact that they gave Yu virtually no discernible characterization is definitely a big problem no matter where you're coming from. Hopefully they'll rectify that soon, because a self-insert isn't going to cut it for a 25 episode television series.

5. RockmanDash

RockmanDash Retired

Finally got a chance to finish the episode and I thought it was pretty good as well. Obviously this anime isn't going to get the emotion and scenes perfect by any means because Persona 4 is naturally a really, really long game. But, to do 25 minutes worth of a complete hour and a half worth of game-play with all the cut scenes it has is not bad at all.

I do agree some stuff did seem rather forced and they started fusing things together near the end(like how the MC gets his powers which doesn't happen in the game until the next day). I don't think Yosuke's pee joke was anywhere stupid, I actually got the same laugh out of it like in the game just because of how random it was still :p. As for Yu, his personality actually matches up with what the eye catcher tells you(it shows his bravery stats and everything) so he's pretty much meant to be a bit quiet right now. I think as the series progresses he will probably open up and "increase his stats" :p.

Overall, it was very enjoyable and could have been so much worse. :)

Side note: Keeping the Calendar=Awesome.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2011
  6. Divinenega

Divinenega Active Member

Well I watched episode one and I was very impressed. They kept in a lot of music from the game, and even used the game's opening for this episode, though I'm hoping it'll pop up again. I figured that they'd have to cut a lot out of the four hour intro to fit the show into 25 episodes, but it seems to have worked for the most part. It felt rushed in some instances, but it still did a pretty solid job of setting everything up.

Only thing I kind of raised an eyebrow at was them changing up the circumstances for Yu unlocking the persona ability since we all know that happened during the Yosuke event. I guess they wanted to show it the personas before the first episode ended to hook people in I guess. It didn;t come across as forced, so it's a forgiveable change, and I suppose it helps put Yosuke in the spotlight more when his shadow shows up next episode.

On a random note I love that they kept in the calendar. Kind of helps the out the style.

7. garfield15

garfield15 Member of the 10,000 post club

Man, I just about lost it when the battle music started.

Seemed good. Managed to get through things okay, though there were noticeable art quality moments that I hope get fixed. Still, was a great treat.

8. Mr. Hypocrite

Mr. Hypocrite Detective. Hero. Hypocrite.

Speedy Gonzales moved slower than this ep, but that isn't a bad thing. I really like how they have some of the cuts in, and even show the MC's stats (Courage, Int, etc).

It like the game that was like an anime is now an anime trying to be a game.....that was already an anime like game......that........

Crosseyed. @_@

Anyway. A good start. Although I would have prefer awakening first, and then Reach out to the truth for the actual battle. But that's one tiny gripe.

9. WolfieKiwi

WolfieKiwi We lil' devils

Great start! A few awkward angle shots here and there but nothing major.

Beary excited for the next episode =O

10. RockmanDash

RockmanDash Retired

Episode 2 is out!

I thought this one was better paced and pretty much followed the game nicely besides in the beginning.

I actually liked Yosuke's resolve here in the animation much more in than how it was done in the game oddly enough.

Overall, a pretty good episode but..the episode title was completely off. This should have been called "Shadow" or something instead of the Velvet Room Key that appears before the opening starts:p. I also feel sorry for the new watchers who might still be very lost on what in the world is going on..but hopefully they catch on to it later. The opening and ending songs are now edited into the first post along with the third episode title.

11. Mr. Hypocrite

Mr. Hypocrite Detective. Hero. Hypocrite.

Curses.

12. garfield15

garfield15 Member of the 10,000 post club

^^Don't give up hope

Anyway, episode 2 was way better paced than the first one. It was all the better for it

13. RockmanDash

RockmanDash Retired

The main character can...USE MULTIPLE PERSONA IN THE ANIME! YESSS!!!!!

Again, I prefer how the animation series is handling the character's resolves much more than how the game did it. I got a chuckle when Yuu somewhat denied the basketball club and the soccer club :p. He will probably join one of the clubs for half of an episode to gain the strength arcana though since it seems like he will be getting one Persona per arcana.

Good episode this week :).

Yuu:*after watching Yukiko's princess broadcast*: I wish I taped that..

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2011
  14. RockmanDash

RockmanDash Retired

Episode 4 is out and I'm very impressed yet again.

The series has been in a odd sort of pace when it first started but the amount of character depth they are putting here is just awesome. The whole battle with Yukiko's shadow wasn't rushed and the animation was pretty dang good to boot.

And my prediction was right, it looks like Yu will be gaining one Persona per arcana.

Next week: Yu joins the soccer club and we get more closure to Yukiko. I'm guessing..

Yu's current Persona:

Izanagi-Fool
    Jacko Lantern-Magician
    Ara Mitama- Chariot

15. RockmanDash

RockmanDash Retired

Decent episode this week :).

Yu got to master the strength and moon arcanas in one episode which was surprisingly neatly done. I'm really happy the writers are taking this direction for this series, this pretty much means all the characters will keep getting expanded nicely. I can't look at Yu as a silent protagonist thanks to this episode though...:p

After watching this I can't help but to wonder if

And I spy a Persona 3 cameo!

Next week: Biker gangs..IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD!

16. WolfieKiwi

WolfieKiwi We lil' devils

Better and better with each episode. I can't abeardon this series now!

Also this may sound cruel but I hope Yu never increases his expression. He's perfect the way he is.

17. Pepperidge

Pepperidge Active Member

During the catfight between Chie and Ai, my reaction basically amounted to "yes! It's Dynasty: The Anime!"

Really great so far. This has been a really stellar adaptation so far, probably one of the best video game-to-anything transitions ever.

18. RockmanDash

RockmanDash Retired

This week:

Nothing much to say besides that it was nicely done plot wise. This episode covered Nanako meeting Yu's friends all the way to the point where Kanji's show is shown on the midnight channel. My favorite scene had to be the added in chase scene where Chie gets her food :p, I completely wish that whole entire joke was in the game honestly.

Next week:Y-yeah...........I....don't know how I'm going to watch this animated. :sweat:

Kanji:COME BACK I LOVE GIRLSS!!

19. Pepperidge

Pepperidge Active Member

Well, this week's episode was certainly hilarious. Yu recording Shadow Kanji? Adachi eating a cabbage? Reaction faces that are actually funny? Chie and Yukiko covered in lube? Pretty much everything about Nice Guy and Tough Guy? Yeah, I think the only way this episode could've been better is if Yosuke actually said "it's too gay in here!" like he did in the hiimdaisy comic.

My only complaint would be Teddie questioning his existence being treated as a humorous aside rather than an aspect of actual character depth, but hopefully that will change soon.

All in all, really enjoying the P4 anime. If it keeps up this quality, it might actually be safe to recommend this as a generally great show rather than just a great game adaptation.

20. RockmanDash

RockmanDash Retired

This week's episode was indeed hilarious. Honestly, I'd never thought I would see this whole..Kanji experience animated and man....the writers did go all out in the creepy factor of it all. It's a complete bonus as well that the writers are not only adding in fusion persona, but even fusing social link scenes with the main plot.

Great episode, next week is going to be hilarious. Though it seems that..