1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Penn Zero: Part-Time Hero Talkback (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by JoeMabbon, Feb 14, 2015.

1. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

Was thinking more in the lines of Toy Story/Small Soldiers

2. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yes, but there were still some classic PR elements within it. "I'm not saying that again!" after the team call out. The Massive Morphy Merge Mech does have a resemblance to the RPM Ultrazord, a.k.a. Engine-Oh G12 . Rippen's location is not that absurd when you look at the mecha placement for the front and back. Plus, the whole "bust-a-move" thing does sound like a Super Sentai plot point, and something I could see a team like Go-Onger doing.

3. Lord Hater

Lord Hater Retired

Massive Morpy Merge Mechs was intense. I liked the parody of Power Rangers. It was funny when Phyllis was driving on the treadmill.

Ultrahypherball was great. I liked how Penn Zero showed care for the enemy by not wanting to blow up the other planet. He got the leaders to love each other and end the competition.

4. PhineasPines

PhineasPines Member

Zap One was a really great origin episode and I am actually kind of glad they decided to wait until right before the season finale to explain the beginning of Penn's adventures. For those who have been watching all the episodes its really fun to see how the characters acted with each other compared to now. I also like how they basically made the origin episode a lead-in to the big finale. Overall I gotta say that Penn Zero is satisfying me much more than Star Vs. Evil even though I love that show.

Also, it appears that airing the rest of the season as a Penn-bomb is doing really well for the ratings!

5. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought Zap One was a great example of storytelling. The term in media res applies here, where the audience enters at a point in the story that is already in progress, rather than start from the beginning and having the traditional character buildup. As we find out in this episode, Penn is simply sent into a new world without much training or guidance, similar to the way the viewers of the show trying to follow along at a point before this episode would do. Also, the twist was awesome in the second part when:

6. Cyrus Veber

Cyrus Veber New Member

Phew, season 1 is finally ending. Gonna give my own two cents here:
    When Star vs and Penn zero were announced, I was mildly excited for both of them. As their premiere grew closer, I was excited more for PZ because of its art style. However, when Christmas episode premiered in December, it fell short of my expectations (although I still had hope for the series).

When after a month or so new episodes started rolling, I finally realized how damn awful Penn Zero is: its plots and writing is below that of pre-schooler series, it has no likability, and everything about it is cliche.

It has action, but it's very generic; it has comedy, but it's very generic and childish; the characters are neatly designed, but Penn always comes of as too laidback joker-like person, Sashi is a "strong girl who doesn't need no man" stereotype (who yet wears so much makeup she might as well work in Red Light District), and Boone is just... out of this world.

And to think that back in December, when I was chatting one of the show's creators, he genuinely said this:

[​IMG]

----

It's also worthy to note that I barely ever see it talked about.

I run an animation-centric group (we post animation news, and new episodes of current shows), and this should probably give you some idea of how many people give a damn about Penn Zero (little heart symbols are upvotes):

[​IMG]

So essentially, Penn Zero fails to attract any audience. Yes, I do realize that popularity ≠ quality, but failure to appeal to anyone is also not a good thing

• Agree Agree x 1
    #126 Cyrus Veber, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  7. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The latest Nielsen numbers in the Disney ratings thread suggest otherwise, and that is finding an audience.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Cyrus Veber

Cyrus Veber New Member

Just glanced over today's episode: it's bottom of the barrel. Sashi being a gigantic prick to Penn for literally no reason, unfunny 4th wall breaking etc.

Probably put on at a bunch of kindergardens to distract kids for a while. PZ does have bright graphics.

So I should probably correct my statement: "failure to appeal to anyone with any sort of self-awareness"

#128 Cyrus Veber, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  9. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

@Cyrus Veber .... Yeah. As someone who still likes this show way more than Star Vs., I kinda feel like rebutting that last comment, to be honest. The one with the kindergartners, to be specific. I can agree with you on some issues with this show, though... It would probably be more memorable, had it been written better. After all, a flashy and unique concept by itself simply isn't enough if your writing quality falters, that's for sure. And I know that's part of why this show ain't popular, and lacks collectible fan-art, for example (I could use some more actually good fan-art of this show; same as Wander Over Yonder, to be honest.).

So, as for my thoughts on the last 3 episodes (w/out using Tier rankings, this time. Those can change, after all...):

The QPC (9/28/15): What should have been a funny episode just fell flat for me; Penn's aunt and uncle just come off more annoying than funny, and you can see why Penn has some minor resentment for them, as likely does the audience if you've stuck around with this show long enough. Probably the weakest episode in the whole series; I don't think repeat viewings could convince me of this - even if I can still watch it in comparison to Star Vs. as a whole, which ain't saying much for mine or this specific show's case...

Shirley B. Awesome (9/28/15): Definitely the better of the 2 premieres on 9/28, overall. Not to say it was a truly spectacular effort, however - I just wasn't feeling Penn and Boone acting so silly at first. Once we got to the actual focus, things picked themselves up for me, so much so that I was actually pleased that Penn's plan actually worked and that he and Boone weren't just goofing around, which is nice to see. As for the titular character, well - she does live up to her name quite well, and I can why Sashi is so smitten with her; Shirley's like soulmate to her, in terms of how to portray one's self as an actual hero, of course.

The Mech Episode (That title is a bit too silly for me to say, to be honest) (9/29/15):
    Silly-sounding title aside, this was the better premiere on 9/29 for me - and a better episode than I thought it would be, too. I do like that Penn and Rippen had to work together, but not just with each other, but with everyone. That was some clever enough writing there out of this show - I just wish Rippen wasn't the victim of one big butt joke (that was kinda sad - especially for someone whose supposed to be the villain to worry about on this show.). Too bad by now we've established exactly now why he's only part-time - he ain't that good at it, so I've learned to actually laugh at him like I can Lord Hater, (WoY) at least.

Ultrahyperball (9/29/15):
    This episode just felt all over the place for me. Not saying it was terrible, as I was legitimately laughing at it, throughout, especially at that ending. It's just that I felt this idea could have been executed better, had this game everyone was playing made more sense, that way things could flow a bit better. Seriously, having your planet be destroyed over a stupid game is hard to laugh at, if you think deeper enough about it. I'm just glad Penn and Co. could see that, too.

Zap One (9/30/15):
    I think it's pretty clear THIS should have been the first episode in the series, if only to better establish things and make this show just a little more noteworthy than it actually is. I do like how these writers also remember to keep the school setting to a minimum, which is a plus, in my eyes. As for the rest, however - I'm kinda mixed on things.
    While I do like that Penn isn't completely resentful of Rippen, which he likely should have been more of knowing who did what to his parents and that he was able to pull himself together and get things done (same with his friends, too.),
    I think we could have done without Sashi being such a jerk to Penn & Boone, for one thing (it's the worst thing about her whole character, overall...). Also, that ending dialogue with Penn and his parents was just embarrassing, unfortunately. If those two things had been written better, this would have been a bit more enjoyable for me than it actually was.

10. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

Alright, one-sentence reviews...GO!

The QPC

Penn's Aunt, Uncle, and their pet rat, who's somehow worse than Angel Bunny, star in a spotlight episode built entirely on contrivance. 2/5

Shirley B. Awesome

The guest character may have been one-note, but the final scene was surprisingly poignant and effective. 3.5/5

Massive Morphy Merge Mechs

Believe it or not, cross-faction mech merges have resolved some iterations of the Autobot-Decepticon War. 4/5

Ultrahyperball

Finally, a high stakes sci-fi sport more convoluted and ridiculous than Futuresport. 3.5/5

Zap One

The long-awaited origin episode finally appears and feels weirdly disconnected from the rest of the series. 3/5

Save the Worlds

A special filled with callbacks and a legitimate universe ending threat that felt much more compelling than the show's last attempt. 4.5/5

11. Lord Hater

Lord Hater Retired

Zap One was an informative back story. I think that it should have been aired at the beginning of the show. Sashi has changed a lot from being mean to being nice (although she still has bad attitude). It was nice to learn that Penn being a normal kid. I liked Penn's curiosity and confusion about his parents actual whereabouts. I enjoyed the song at the end.

12. I.R. Shokew

So, this finale was actually the best of the premieres, obviously... I need to watch and see, as I just missed it. *Sigh*

13. Insomnia

Insomnia Member

I quite liked both of the half hour episodes this week, both were great. But the other eps, along with the past few before hand were alright I guess, I don't know why but maybe I'm just not feeling the show as much as i used to. The fairly one note characterizations with Boone and Sashi have become a bit tiresome at certain points, as well as the basic humor of the show. A lot of the jokes are starting to become a bit to similar in nature and I think it took till near the end of the season for that to really become more apparent. I still like the show a lot but I do hope season 2 can outdo 1 and be bit less repetitive humor wise. I think plot wise it will be a step up as we now seem to have an objective which is getting those crystal shards to get Penn's parents home which could make for a nice ongoing plot, hopefully we don't have to wait too long for season 2.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SaneMan

A pretty awesome batch of episodes this week.

I especially enjoyed the common theme in both Massive Morphy Merge Mechs and Ultrahyperball, where the goal wasn't for one side to win, but rather for both sides to find piece. Ultrahyperball did a better job at this, mostly because the heroes didn't have to save the world from their own mess-up

Shirley B. Awesome was a great deconstruction of the "women are always more competent" cliche, especially as it had Penn and Boone's apparently silly plan actually work, since they both knew what they were dealing with, all while still having Shirley save face despite her initial failure, by displaying some genuine heroism.

Zap One among other things explains why we haven't seen any bully in the school - Sashi used to be the bully!
    We also now see that Boone always knew about the world of Part-Time heroes, and that he and Penn Knew each other even before getting the jow. This however brings-up the question of how Sashi got recruited, seeing how she comes from an ordinary family, and didn't seem to know Beene or Penn beforehand.

I already said my thoughts on Save the world on the thread dedicated to it.
    Just repeating, awesome to see everyone back.

Finally, the Chinchilla is evil.

And to the haters - go eat a carrot!

• Like Like x 1
  15. I.R. Shokew

I'll admit - regarding the season finale, I don't have anything to really say. Save for a few iffy lines, everything was spot on, made effective callbacks while not overdoing that, and actually built up what to expect in Season 2. Somewhat near God Tier, but not quite, in my honest opinion.

As for the show as a whole... I've always felt if the writing were a bit tighter and not trying so hard to be funny all the time, this show could be a even more enjoyable to me than it is now (and probably less hate-worthy, in terms of wide reception, other than just the target audience.). I'm not saying becoming more serious and dramatic or anything, although that would be a plus in this show's favor (kind of a growing the beard, if that's possible.); besides some more and better villains, like Rippen's sister, for example...

Still, I admire the effective use of its core concept (with the plus of spending little time as possible in boring settings like school, of course.), it has a pretty good art-style that really does grab me, and the storytelling does hold my attention, as there isn't a moment where the main point of this show goes ignored - Penn and Co. getting better at being heroes and Penn ultimately saving his parents. It's just the writing and comedy of some characters needed some tightening up.

I still do enjoy this show way more than Star Vs. (as in my rating of 7.5/10 still holds, because anything higher than that is a bit too generous, honestly.), but it doesn't take a foolish fool to see why this ultimately didn't really catch on like it could have.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Choppasmith

Choppasmith Member

I agree with the above. I like the basic concept behind Penn Zero. The voice cast is also superb. But yeah the writing is so ho-hum and lackluster. The show reminds me of Reboot, so maybe like that show they'll get serious in the second season. The potential is definitely there.

As for the finale, I always laugh at Phyllis' quirks in each episode. Having a "security bear" named Karen just tickles me. The whole security footage was a hoot.

I especially loved the final vortex closing montage. Great visuals, specifically with how they played with scale. Blaze was surprisingly huge next to the humans, but then he looked so tiny next to the kaiju.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Lord Hater

Lord Hater Retired

Save the Worlds was an epic way to end the season. We got to see all of the characters from the other worlds unite in a "crossover". The plot was very creative. It was nice to see everyone working together to stop the vortexes from turning everything into nothing. I was surprised about Rippen and Larry though; at some points them and Penn were allies but they sabotaged it by shoving him into nothing. I also liked the humor in Boone's ringtone and Phyllis being shaked.

I would rate the show an 8.5 out of 10. I love the storytelling, animation, and humor. It's great for younger kids with the superhero theme and the examples of friendship and teamwork (In fact, reruns should air on Disney Junior).

• Like Like x 1
  18. SaneMan

BTW, a little thing I wonder whether is going to play a part or at least be addressed
    I think I'm not the only one to notice how out-of-place Rippen looks.
    I mean, the man has greenish skin and pointy ears.
    And since now we know it is possible to move between worlds without having to change one's body, I wonder
    Is Rippen from another universe?
    Or at least one of his parents?
    He did mention his sister being a full-time villain - is she one in their home-world?

19. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I don't get the wise man thing. Why is Boon the Wise Man and why does every team need a Wise Man? I also don't get Sashi's logic of wanting to be the sidekick.

At some point, I'd like to see how Rippen defeated Penn's parents and trapped them in the most dangerous dimension.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. TheGoldStar233

TheGoldStar233 Captain Blasteroid is my hero

I'm expected for later seasons, that Sashi will meet her royal ancestor (the Princess of Demensions) who killed similar to her. She been to demension portals used by the good and bad guys. Sashi herself will become the Princess of Demensions.